What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legal marijuana users can’t legally buy a gun

I

IndicaIsland

DENVER – Call it a public service announcement: you can’t legally buy a gun in Colorado and be a legal pot user.

Yes, marijuana is legal here and in many other states, but the feds don’t see it that way. They’re coming out with an update to a form you should fill out – truthfully – when buying a gun.

“So far as marijuana is concerned, it’s still a controlled substance federally,” said Paul Brown, director of Industry Operations at the Denver Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. “There’s been a lot of changes lately with marijuana laws across the nation and this provides an opportunity, with the changing of the form, to ensure that dealers and purchasers know exactly what federal law is in relation to this topic.”

It so happens, the ATF was already changing its most important form, the Firearms Transaction Record, effective this coming January. Colorado has universal background checks, which means, with a few exceptions, gun buyers must complete a background check, hence this form.

The timing of the form change just happened to coincide with multiple states voting on legalizing marijuana use. The ATF form asks if you’re an “unlawful user” of marijuana, and before you in Colorado check “no,” it reminds you of the federal government position on the matter.

“The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under federal law, whether is related to recreational or medical use,” Brown said.

“I’ve always thought the government’s position on marijuana is archaic,” said Rachel Gillette, who manages the Cannabis Practice Group in the Denver Office of Greenspoon Marder. “That they continue to deny the medical efficacy of pot, that they don’t seem to appreciate the realities of people who consume cannabis and can consume it responsibly, and they can also be responsible gun owners.”

Gillette said that post-election, 29 states plus the District of Columbia passed medical marijuana legislation and eight of those passed recreational adult use.

“To say that somebody can be on a no-fly list and still possess a firearm, but yet if they are taking medical marijuana under their doctor’s supervision and under a state medical program, they can’t own a firearm, I think there’s something inherently shocking about that,” Gillette said.
http://www.mymarijuananews.com/legal-marijuana-users-cant-legally-buy-a-gun/

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The fact that ALL laws limiting an individuals use of an item... ANY ITEM... to a specific set of standards, while not limiting another individuals RIGHTS, is proof positive that those specific laws are UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!

Therefore,
ALL GUN LAWS
as well as
ALL MARIJUANA LAWS
ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is this going to become the new trend at the federal level?

The beauracracy can't directly fuck gun owners because they damn well know they'll start a war they will not be able to control.
SO...
They go after gun owner Rights via other ignorant legislation.

Like 2Pac said...
Ya can't find peace on the streets,
So a n get a piece, FUCK POLICE!

brown_thumb

These Federal laws, unconstitutional as they are, will prevent anyone from purchasing a gun through any dealer or FFA. They don't prevent us from buying used firearms from individuals.

If you considered yourself a safe, level-headed and sane person then you should allow yourself to own guns. If you know you're sometimes hot-headed enough to lose control or otherwise lose your wits then you shouldn't allow yourself to own them. That's on you.

If you're not on a MMJ list somewhere and are safe/sane in your actions but maybe you drink too much or partake in smoke (responsibly)... then just check the "NO" box!!

BTW, Big Brother has been considering disallowing those on Social Security to own firearms if they have certain illnesses such as Parkinson's which may eventually impair judgment... but not necessarily always and often not for may years if it does.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
“To say that somebody can be on a no-fly list and still possess a firearm, but yet if they are taking medical marijuana under their doctor’s supervision and under a state medical program, they can’t own a firearm, I think there’s something inherently shocking about that,” Gillette said.
http://www.mymarijuananews.com/legal-marijuana-users-cant-legally-buy-a-gun/

No way, the shocking part is that people who consume alcohol daily in large amounts are certainly allowed to buy guns and marijuana users are banned, thats the sheer lunacy. Everybody knows people shoot people on booze way quicker with less provocation than they will stoned on marijuana.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Just do the "Hilllary"...tell them what they want to hear, and respond to any followup questions with the magic words: "I don't recall".

It has worked for her 60 plus years now.

Gry

Just go incorporate and hire up your local politicians and you too can have your private army right here at home. Tanks, air power , the whole nine yards.

Last edited:

brown_thumb

It seems that some people have no need for self-defense. I'm happy for you. However, I live in south Texas USA and there is a definite need for deterrence to crime. The very fact that most people here own firearms and know how to use them prevents most home invasions, rapes, murders, etc. That stated, those crimes still happen occasionally.

So you can yell at the top of your lungs, "FUCK GUNS!!"... but I'm keeping mine.

DocTim420

Brown, there are those of us "that do"...and there are those that "employ others to do", and I am OK with that, especially since everyone is not wired the same.

There are those who are quite comfortable in calling 911 and praying for a fast response time for cavalry to rescue them from danger (intruder, home invasion, assault-physical and/or sexual, etc). These people believe "Ferguson effect" is a myth and that "guns" kill people.

And there are some of us that prefer to protect the ones we love (fuck with my women or my dogs--someone is going to bleed) and accept consequences of our actions: That is, to be judged by 12 instead of being carried by 6.

BTW, if guns kill people, then how come we don't blame computer keyboards for misspelled words? Both are inanimate objects requiring human intervention.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Brown, there are those of us "that do"...and there are those that "employ others to do", and I am OK with that, especially since everyone is not wired the same.

There are those who are quite comfortable in calling 911 and praying for a fast response time for cavalry to rescue them from danger (intruder, home invasion, assault-physical and/or sexual, etc). These people believe "Ferguson effect" is a myth and that "guns" kill people.

And there are some of us that prefer to protect the ones we love (fuck with my women or my dogs--someone is going to bleed) and accept consequences of our actions: That is, to be judged by 12 instead of being carried by 6.

BTW, if guns kill people, then how come we don't blame computer keyboards for misspelled words? Both are inanimate objects requiring human intervention.

common sense, very good!:thank you:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When the closest emergency responders are an hour or more away, AFTER THEY'VE BEEN CALLED, then the knowledge & ability to use TOOLS becoms absolutely necessary.

I think some folks have a difficult time understanding these things...
If you've never lived near the wilderness & never hadbears knocking on your doors I don't expect any of you to understand.

I wonder what those people without guns would do to defend themselves from an injured & hungry bear entering their homes while they sleep?
A 400 lb bear can squeeze itself through a 12 x 12 inch window if it really wants in.

DocTim420

Lore, I think we get the picture.

Because you chose to not defend or stand up for your little self, then I submit--it is because people like you...that actually create the "demand" for people like us "pussys" (sic).

You might say, some of us do what we do because you won't--or put differently, when (not if) the occasion arises--if not you, then who else will do the "dirty work", aka street justice?

brown_thumb

I agree completely. I'll dial 911 if I have the time and chance to but if needs are dire and immediate then I'll be forced to take action myself.

Some here may not have seen or heard the phrase, "It's comforting to know the police are minutes away when seconds count."

brown_thumb

:)))I am not american so I don't have this passion for guns,no disrespect but wtf is this? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRo48zg2iyU
:laughing:
I know is not fair just hate them

Ha ha... I HATE rap music, especially the type that condones and promotes disrespect and violence. I loathe violence and would never intentionally hurt anyone. But I'll be damned if I let some creep break into my home and try to hurt me.

You may not be aware that crime actually does exist in many parts of the world. I'm very glad that you apparently have no violent crimes where you live.

Allow me to tell you of two crimes that happened here recently. An elderly couple was murdered in their place of business and their bodies stuffed in their walk-in refrigerator. The killers were never found. A woman disappeared and was never found. Her automobile was found abandoned near the highway. No one was charged with her disappearance. There are many other cases that go unreported or I don't know about. The other day I was having a few beers with neighbors and one got so drunk he started talking about people disrespecting him. He wanted to buy a gun from one of us. We don't know him very well and told him we're not selling our guns. We also knew there might be a reason he doesn't buy one from a dealer. Our suspicions were heightened when he said he'd pay far more for a used gun than a new one of the same make and model through a dealer. He became irritated and said he doesn't need a gun. If someone disrespects him he'll just hack them to pieces with a machete or ax.

So you see, there are some sick violent people here. I live amongst the people doing these things.

I repeat... I'm keeping my self-defense firearms.

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:)))I am not american so I don't have this passion for guns,no disrespect but wtf is this? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRo48zg2iyU
:laughing:
I know is not fair just hate them

Looks like some punk bitch that thinks he's all hard n shit!
Mufukka prob wouldn't survive if he got into some shit w some real gangstas or was being hunted buy a cat in the sticks.

Either way... Getting back on topic...
Legal users CAN legally buy guns.
They just can't make a purchase from an FFL dealer due to the paperwork involved for the transfer/registration.