What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this bud rot? aka gray mold?

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
i have a lovely outdoor f13 lady that has been coming up with these brown spots in the buds that just crumble away. please tell me there is something i can do about it.

chicalyx

Doesn't look like rot to me. Can't tell much by the pic, but judging by the yellow leaves, I'd take a guess that it's severe nute burn or pH imbalance.

edit: just noticed you said it was OD. is it in the ground or potted?

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
chicalyx said:
Doesn't look like rot to me. Can't tell much by the pic, but judging by the yellow leaves, I'd take a guess that it's severe nute burn or pH imbalance.

edit: just noticed you said it was OD. is it in the ground or potted?

no nute burn. organic soil with no added ferts. potted in a 20 gal pot. only some parts of some buds show it. im scared. BTW: the rest of the plant is A+ very nice structure and colors.

If it's brown and it crumbled, throw it away, that's mold/rot.

damn. that sux. she did so weel til this happened. im going to cry myself to sleep now.

chicalyx

If it is in fact mold/fungus, you say it's only on certain parts of the plant, so you could try cutting those away. The one time I had mold was indoors and it did seem to magically spread, but again that was inside where it's easier to spread. Might as well try to salvage what you can, specially if it's a pretty f13 lady.

Hhmm...20 gal. container with no added nutes outdoors,, doesn't seem like it could be anything other than mold or disease. I'll be interested to hear an expert chime in with a diagnosis.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I had similar problems when I allowed growth to become to dense. I don't know that it's mold but, I wasn't going to smoke it. Pics don't really show the "undead" quality. Even leaves brown and dead from age seemed more alive than the "zombie" buds...

Mold was restricted to a single area so I put that aside from the rest of the haul. Rather than cut offending areas, I cut off the entire bud the mold was in as well as the buds to either side. Left shot is the suspected area haul. Right pic the throwaway from same.

Throwing it out cost me 10%-15% of total yield but, I didn't start growing to smoke the worst of the yuckiest.

Sorry for your loss :badday:

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
yeah, it sucks man. i gotta few buds yet unaffected but i dont know if they will make it to ripeness. i hoipe for the best but, maybe f13 isnt a good choice for the humid outdoors here.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
swampdank said:
yeah, it sucks man. i gotta few buds yet unaffected but i dont know if they will make it to ripeness. i hoipe for the best but, maybe f13 isnt a good choice for the humid outdoors here.

looks like it was dried to a crisp...
are they getting enough watter? is there any nearby reflective surfaces that could concintrate sun onto the affected area[lake/ river/windows]??

criticalkronic

I get that too once in a while. I consider it more of a molding, than mold. they just turn soft and brown and grey, but no real source of grey mold. usually from being dank and wet, lack of air movement and light, at least in my room. I had a real prob with it one year for no apparent reason. Sounds weird, but sometimes they just dont like the room, i moved them out of that room and turned it to a veg room ant they were fine. Sorry i dont have a better explaination, but i know what your going through.

Pseudo

just do it
Veteran
LOWER THE HUMIDITY, IF OUTDOORS PICK and make sure to trim off ALL the brown, it will spread and ruin your crop, wash your hands after touching, pick a different strain or hope next year isnt so damn wet

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
DIGITALHIPPY said:
looks like it was dried to a crisp...
are they getting enough watter? is there any nearby reflective surfaces that could concintrate sun onto the affected area[lake/ river/windows]??

no, not this one digi. i had it on an elevated deck and most of the plant looks fine, but a few buds have this stuff. like you said, dried to a crisp. i found a dead catterpillar the other day on it. i wonder if those buggers are doing this. either way it's suckin' pretty bad.

psuedo: yeah man, it's outside so i can't control much. it doesnt seem to be spreading though.