What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing in a Vacuum

NEGT1

Someone was saying something about a sealer that injects nitrogen gas into the bags, supposed to keep stuff super fresh for even longer than regular vacuum sealing. Interesting thread Lola! :yes:

That's different than curing...and for long term storage I think a deep freezer is proven to work best.

I think the atmospheric pressure is best for curing. The plant grows in the same pressure(s) through it's whole life, I don't see the need to change it for a cure.

Tyson53

I use a food saver for years to store medicine in....I hang them first....when ready I cut off the stems....place in jars but i dont vacuum them yet..i burp a few times a day for a week...I have a hygrometer in the jars and wait till around 60-63 humidity...when it hits the spot I then vacuum seal them....the humidity stays stable also....

the vacuum removes most of the oxygen which is a oxidizer and can degrade THC...I have some jars from last year as fresh as when i jarred it....

I tried doing the freezer storage but when you take it out and open it condensates from the temp change...you have to let jar get room temp or the frozen trics can snap off when handled..I store them in a cool dark area in the basement...they are in pitch black containers...so far working great....I also had some stored in a wine fridge at 50 degrees...and was nice....i may buy one just to store jars in...i seen one that will hold 20 half gallon jars for around 250.00 with a solid front door..no glass...

Somwil

Food saver storage

Food saver storage

I have been storing mine for about a month now in the food saver vacuum bottles. They have a suction device and hose that pilots off the machine.

Don't know that it stores longer as of yet. My concern was would it dry out too much and that has not been an issue. When you open the jar, it's like walking into a place that has real stinky bud??? Yep my alarms and sensors go on tilt when I press that button. I love the smell of skunk in the morning!:moon:

I have been doing this for years. First off are you sure you mean cure? To me curing is a very different thing than drying. None of the flowers in your local dispensary have been cured.
It is well worth it for storage, only I would get myself a better vacuum pump if I were you.
If you put your buds up kind of moist they will almost turn into a sticky mass over years, but not mold and be quite nice.
I found it best to dry my bud normally then put them in the jars and check the moisture every day and vent them or let them stand open if needed. When dried to perfection. Then I vacuum seal them in mason jars and store them in a dry cool place. They will last for three years or longer and still be well worth vaping.

b3averh3at

I use JacFlasche's system too. Dry to the stage of 60-62% humidity per Caliber lll then I vacuum seal the jar. But I could never get my food saver with jar attachment to work. So I took a 5 gallon bucket, cut a hole in the top and got my 16 horse shopvac out. Put 4 jars in the bottom filled with dried bud, make sure the top was loose but the ring was on and sucked the air out of the bucket with the shopvac. I'd test the lids to make sure they were secure and screwed down the ring. If they weren't I'd repeat. Sometimes to get a good seal, I had to replace the lid. I have bud over three years old that is still good. And my shopvac is lot faster than a food saver! Stay high!

Latest posts

Latest posts