What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco/Perlite top drip run to waste House and Garden Van De Zwaan nutrients

clowntown

Veteran
Ghost, that's the exact response I received. I sent them a detailed reply back with where I normally shop, why I'm interested in H&G (I'm really not in this for the "free lunch" thing, I just wanna try out what pico's using and compare), etc. They referred me to another store right across the street which I described as "seems to be run by thugs".

Then he says "The guys who own that place are far from Thugs. They are some of the nicest people in the industry. I suggest going in there and seeing awhat they can give you for samples If they don't have any we will get some on their next order."

LOL. Whatever.

No thanks, keep your samples. I'll stick to Canna.

Thanks pico for the heads up, though.

Last edited:
N

Neptune

CT,

I do a maintence flush every 2 weeks when I change my reservoirs.
I feel like the salt buildup that is currently in the medium is unbalanced, as the plants use elements at different rates. I flush to ensure that my new fresh res change is what the plants see, and not the old stale and unbalanced nutrient profile that is salted up int the medium.

I have never tried running without a flush before, but if I could get my same results then ofcourse I would not flush as often. Maybe Stick to like 600ppm PBP profiles and never flush until the last 10 days or something? btw, I am switiching to 100% coco tables next crop, rockwool is oficially dead.

Nice mountainside pico, looking good in the yard bro!

gregor_mendel

no samples for me, either

no samples for me, either

The same story from Humboldt Wholesale for me.
It happened within 2 or 3 days of the post that samples were available.

Let me add:

With their first response, they said to give me contact information for my retailer. So I did. They told me another retailer is closer (which is true) and that they would have samples and retail product. (which is untrue)
The last email I sent them, I explained that they had sent no samples to my nearby retailer, and that I would start a run in 3-4 weeks.
To test their product, I needed it by then.
No response.

gregor_mendel

pico

Veteran
Sorry to hear everyone is getting denied. They sent me a huge box with samples of everything. It cost them over $100 easy per box at cost, not to mention shipping. The bottle of roots excelurator alone retails for $75 or so. I originally just asked to try out the coco nutes, but they sent everything along with it. I am not totally suprised they are starting to send people to dealers for a sample. Like I said, the cost of all that product and then individual shipping to people would add up. If they just sent product samples out to dealers to give out their dollar would go a lot further in promoting their product.

D

Darkstarlive

The guys at Humbolt Wholesale has been deluged with requests for samples and Pico is right it cost them at least $100.00 each box they send out. The main goal in sending out the samples are to get your local Hydro store to start stocking HG nutes, thats why they prefer to send the sample to the store, I did it and now my local hydro store has a huge display of H&G nutes everyone that has tried them raves about it.

The mixing instruction are unorthodox, you add the A&B check the EC then add any supplements and its ready, it says there is no need to Ph because it self Ph's. I still check it and even though it reccomends a Ph of 6.8 for Soil/Soiless I like it lower and 5.8 for Coco It is the most simple and straight forward nutes to mix unlike AN that has 14 components to its nute mixture.

Good show Pico..

Peace..

pico

Veteran
Well the numbers are in. Not amazing, but right about what I expected. Total was 3 pounds and change.

I made a .jpg version of the feed chart. I followed the exact directions.

G

pico said:
Well the numbers are in. Not amazing, but right about what I expected. Total was 3 pounds and change.

I made a .jpg version of the feed chart. I followed the exact directions.

Morning pico.

Thanks for sharing the info with us. I find it hard to change nutz myself. I don't like to change companies and I'm pretty set in my ways, but I'm planning on trying some new stuff myself. Thanks for the testing and info. Helps a lot of members for sure. Take care and have a nice weekend.
Later,
BG

pico

Veteran
Morning GDW. I need to get set in some ways. I change around too much and it is starting to get old. Time to dial something in. The trick is picking a system to stick with :)

Have a good one. Thanks for stopping by.

G

pico said:
Morning GDW. I need to get set in some ways. I change around too much and it is starting to get old. Time to dial something in. The trick is picking a system to stick with :)

Have a good one. Thanks for stopping by.

Hey pico,
I hear you and agree with you. I've always loved the ebb&flo style and had great results with it. I've also been a big fan of the PBP line and all the other stuff like liquid Karma, CalMag Pro,etc. I will be trying GH 3 part and seeing if i like it. Either it will be PBP or GH 3 part. I guess will see seen enough. I do love when you buy the larger amounts. Like the 5 or 6 gallon buckets. I love those buckets and keep them for around the garden. You take care and I should have some threads for you to stop by about Dec. So, I hope your ready, because its going to be a wild ride for sure.
Take care,
BG

J-Roc

pico ur avatar/name suites you!
you are a busy bee

what an awesome grow setup..
i gotta go look at all ur other threads now

Ghost said:
They stated that they gave away over $100,000 dollars worth at a recent hydro expo and they simply didn't have any to send to me directly.

oh yeah it was so so cool! indoor gardening expo in frisco, be there or be square. I had damn near two pickup truck loads full of products, most vendors gave you their whole line, h/g gave away boxes of all their nutes and additives for soil/hydro/coco, and they even gave bundles of roses to all of the women who attended the show. but they are right it was a lot of cash, each box had a bottle of roots exceulrator in it, and that stuff is $80 a bottle retail, and it rocks! then all the additives are around another $2-300, then the base nutes and enzyme and foliar products too. If anything they will sell 100k of roots excelurator thanks to giving that stuff away and getting people to try it.

man that show kicked bootay! people had bags so full of stuff they couldnt carry them out the door. and the advanced nutes after-party was pretty smokey sweeeeeeeet! :nono: :rasta: :headbange

pico - have you tried the roots stuff in a setup with a bubbler going? any reason to because you said the grow was fine without it, think it might help? Your supposed to stop using the roots excelurtor after 2nd week bloom, then it is safe to hookup the bubbler again as the air is what renders the root stuff less effective.

thanks for all the info, cool thread boss!
stay safe!
-stb

G

pico, i like your methods. I have a closet to prepare and I really like what I'm seeing from your setups. great work! I'll have some questions for you later on.. ;)

I have a question now, if I had to start from seed, what system would you suggest? The closet is 7x6x8, I want to use 1kw. I am thinking a typical >scrubber->light->fan->exhaust> configuration (i have a lot of equipment but no ac and no $ for one - going much smaller). 4x4 table, with a 5x5 screen, probably 2.5' above the table. I will have the table as low as I can, on blocks.. and the abilities to take my lights up to 8'. Top drip, diced rockwool, recirculating but properly filtered. What do you think? I'm on a budget so this is more brain storming, still gotta make it cheap.

Last edited:

pico

Veteran
If it was me, I would stay away from the rockwool. But I just don't like that stuff, neptune and others seem to do great with it. I usually keep my carbon scrubber and light runs seperate, but being that you are only running 1 light i don't see it as a problem. If you are really concerned about odor, go >scrubber>fan>light>exaust. That way there is no chance of sucking stinky air from the cracks in your light reflector. Normally you want to pull air instead of push, but this will be a pretty short run of duct so a good inline fan will have no problem.

Do you already have lights? what is your budget? My hydro shop has a lot of good deals on used ballasts and you might call around and see if you can't find something similar. If you are going to be recirculating, do you plan on having a reservoir under the table? If so you might look in to doing an ebb and flow system. Ebb and flow sure is easy and works great. I am having a hard time figuring out if I like top drip or ebb and flow better. There are things I like about both, but deffinatley ebb/flow is easier.

What are the temperatures like in your area? If it gets hot or you think you may have a problem cooling the 1000, go with a 600 and do a 4x4 table with 4x4 screen. That will give you a bit more room to work with your plants too. 2 feet isn't a lot of room, but it is still doable if that is what you decide.

how about ebb and flow with hydroton or coco/perlite?

G

i'm comfortable with rockwool slabs w/ top drip, it's what ive done most (lucas). I tried peat and perlite 3gal, hand watered never finished had to close up - wasn't very happy about the work but it was 75 of them. I have everything I could need to make this a sealed 3KW setup, co2, genetics included but minus the a/c. I want to spend less than a grand, but i know how it goes.. I just can't keep more than one light cool with just my can-fan, and can't buy an ac yet.

I want to try ebb/flow, my roof is 8' so I can make room under the table for a res.. I know my climate and the lights effect on the climate indoors all too well...that's why I can't go over 1000 this first time. Regardless I need help with my electricity because I'd like to have something I can move about for this 3KW worth of stuff I own.

What is the price/performance difference between the hydroton or coco/perlite? about the vent/light configuration, I'll do it as you said..should I invest in insulated ducting? the attic door is literally the center of the room.

so, how high above the table would you recommend the screen be placed?

pico

Veteran
What specifically do you need help with your electricity?

price/performance between coco/perlite and hydroton is fairly similar. hydroton might cost a little more, but on a 1k grow the price difference is like 10 bucks probably. I have done lucas with ebb flow and hydroton and it was great. Very easy, no pH adjustment and no reservoir changes.

If you have everything for a 3k setup, you should only need to buy some hydroton and clones really. I mean there is always random extras you need. But I think if you have a grand to spend and have a bunch of equipment, you should have no problems.

For the screen 18" above the table would work good. Really it just depends on your plants and how long you veg them. You could easily do a screen at 12 inches or 24 inches if you wanted. Hell I have done 48" screens with some plants that got crazy huge on me.

Not sure if that helped at all. But if you ask a specific question I will do my best to try and answer it.

bobbyp

I am starting an all coco grow, 12 X 7.5 room , coco in 1 gallon pots in a recirculating drip system. I will have 60 pots on each side of the room , with each side having it's own reservoir and pump. What size pump do I need to run each side ?

pico

Veteran
Well, I had two pumps running right around 60 plants. a pump double the size would probably work fine for you. I would just tell you what size that pump is but I forget what pump I used.

Lucky for you I wrote down everything in this thread. Give it a read you might find your answer.

G

first let me say awesome grow..you have convinced me to try H&G nutes..I picked some up at the first hydro convention 2 years ago and never got around to trying it..I just went to the hydro show this year on the east coast and scored 12 of those Black box kits..some hydro and some coco..I'm going to give the coco a shot now..

some one asked what the NPK ratio was for the top booster and Bud XL..Top booster is 0-13-14 and the bud XL is 0.4-0-0.1..just read it off the bottles..