What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco/perlite bed grow

pico

Veteran
Here is a closeup of the blue skunk outside. Still could go for another 3-4 weeks if the weather holds. Will really start purpling up in the next couple weeks too.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

wow, very impressed both indoors outdoors and indoors! Thanks alot for the wholesome entertainment Pico, and keep those helpful threads coming, I appreciate them alot. Peace & K+ :wave:

lookin good bro, you put out some great threads for the community, much appreciated!

it feels good to see other patients out there doing it up.

keep up the good work and stay safe!
-stb

just reread some of this stuff, im glad your having good results with the h/g nutes. i got their package for free at a garden show and it was all great stuff, the a/b has been working out pretty good for me.

I like the fact that the veg mix and the bloom mix have greater amounts of nutes but the ratio of a/b stays the same. So you can keep a veg mix going then top it up with more nutes and additives for the bloom mix, makes it easy to store a premixed solution without much modification to make it ideal for all the garden.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey there Pico!

I love all your shows, keep'em coming!

Coupla Q's:

How much more did the H&G yield than the FloraNova and do you think an additive like Sweet would have improved the H&G flavor?

also

Have you ever considered stadium style grows like NorthernFarmer? I would love to see you rock out a set of bare-bulb flipflopped rooms in coco.

Keep cool, Pico

Peace, Love & Coco

pico

Veteran
humble1- well I really can't compare the H&G and Floranova too accurately because it wasn't a real side by side. The Floranova was with 1000w lights and the H&G was with 600s. It was with the same coco and the same enviornment. Lets just say that the 600w light with h&g produced more than the 1000w with floranova. I would really need to do a side by side to get some real hard numbers.

I will have to go check out northernfarmers grows. Don't know a lot about them. Believe me I consider changing my room over to something new twice a week, so you may or may not see something similar in the future. :)

nice of you to stop by man.

Thanks everyone else for stopping by with the kind words. I will try and get some updated pictures later today.

I

In Vino Veritas

Wow, that outdoor garden is amazing! Tight work man. What do you have the ladies outside sitting in?

20kw dreams

Hey Pico, I wanted to bring that discussion over here. So, you get a 50% reduction in light from 33% greater distance? I would like to see what these numbers actually say. Is there an "edge" of the light footprint where the light drops off? What is that footprint for 18" and 24"? Damn, maybe I should pick me up a light meter! You could really maximize your space with one of those things. I have always wondered if you wouldn't get a better g/w ratio going with 5' x 5' tables under higher 1000's then a 4'x4' table with a closer light. Def not as dense, but a good pruning job would deter too much larf.

pico

Veteran
well I don't think that the 50% reduction from 33% greater distance will be a constant value....but yes, 50% less light on a point at 18 inches compared to 24 inches.

As far as the footprint, the tests were done over a 3x3 grid. You can find all the info in my signature under aircooled reflector testing. I need to do a much larger grid next time so I can see how much usable light is farther out. I have also been thinking lately that a 5x5 area with 1000w lights would give more g/w. And when you combine multiple 1000w lights next to each other then there would be even more overlapping light getting those areas. I was just thinking an hour ago about trying 600w lights over 4x4 tables and see if I do better than i do with 3x3s.

you should deffinately pick up a light meter. Pretty cheap and very usefull.

pico

Veteran
in vino veritas- The plants are in the ground. dug big holes and have probably 10-15 bags of foxfarm/powerflower/perlite/wormcastings in there.

gdawg- I am all over the place right now :) Busy time of year.

G

pico said:
well I was just thinking an hour ago about trying 600w lights over 4x4 tables and see if I do better than i do with 3x3s.

I used to grow wiht a 400 watt in a 30" x 24" c13 cabinet. I got way more yields once i took that same light into a 3 ' x 3 ' hydro hut mini.

I would think you'd do better with the 600 over a 4x4 in gram / watt measurement, but imo gram / watt is not a very practical or useful metric.

In my experience with the 400 in a 3x3 hydro hut, i did better gram / watt wise than the c13. But as soon as I put a 600 in there I did way better than ever in total yeild even though my gram / watt ratio may have went down. But for all practical purposes, the 600 in the 3x3 yeilds a better result than the 400 watt even though the gram / watt is less.

so although you may yield more from a 600 over a 4x4 than a 3x3, ifyou have space for a 4x4, why not use a 1000?

pico

Veteran
If you were trying to maximize yield in a given area I would be with you. Assuming we have plenty of space, it would be better to maximize yield for watts consumed. In California electric rates are high and if I could jump from 1.5 pounds per 1k to 2 pounds per 1k by using more space I would be all about it.

I have not found the right setup to break that 1.5 pound per light barrier, I think increasing the space might be the key.

4x4 = 16 square feet
4.5x4.5 = 20.25 square feet
5x5 = 25 sqare feet

So a 4.5 x 4.5 canopy is about 26.56% more space than a 4x4
a 5x5 is 56.25% more than a 4x4.

Then think about this, 4.5 x 4.5 is only out an extra 3 inches on each side of the 4x4. A 5x5 is 6 inches out from each side of a 4x4. wow, so even if there was good light another 6 inches that is 56% more canopy space. Which probably wouldn't translate to 56% more yield since lower light, but lets say 30% more yield would bring me from 1.5 pounds per 1k to 1.95.

B

Brain

I see crunching numbers is a hobby of yours too. :) I've never done light readings like you ( thanks by the way, very good info) but I bet some reflectors would do a better job than others over a larger area. My 2 super suns do great but it seems like my 2 hydro farm radients cover a 3x6 better.

I

In Vino Veritas

20kw dreams said:
Hey Pico, I wanted to bring that discussion over here. So, you get a 50% reduction in light from 33% greater distance? I would like to see what these numbers actually say. Is there an "edge" of the light footprint where the light drops off? What is that footprint for 18" and 24"? Damn, maybe I should pick me up a light meter! You could really maximize your space with one of those things. I have always wondered if you wouldn't get a better g/w ratio going with 5' x 5' tables under higher 1000's then a 4'x4' table with a closer light. Def not as dense, but a good pruning job would deter too much larf.

That's how I do it. I put a couple of plants per rockwool slab, keep em 1.5' off the ground, hang the lights at the roof (8'). Veg for 3 weeks, and flower them. The genetics I'm working with now would end up about 5-6' in height.. I've consistently pulled down 4lbs with two lights, I wont say 5 because then everyone will really roll their eyes - but I have..I feed GH lucas w/ some epsom...water flush every other week for 24hrs.. I hate claiming those numbers because they seem high, **** it in a minute i'll show you what's up..

a 1000 can put light 8' down very very potently.. i think people just don't like to trim :p I think 4x5 is the best foot print for a 1000 - the bulb horizontal to the 5' sides.

So Quick used to get his best yields in that top drip bucket system w/ rockwool, he would hang the lights pretty far from them since he would only use an attic fan to exhaust the room..

Jahkaya

Pico, Can you show how your AC is mounted? Also how does it's exhaust heat get vented out?

I am trying to do the same thing on a smaller scale.

Latest posts

Latest posts