What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi didn’t pop..

blondie

I’ve been looking forward to growing something that would actually ease the pain of a very rare auto immune condition. But my Malawi beans haven’t popped! I have about 90-95% success usually with seeds that are in vogue. Usually if they don’t come up by now they aren’t going to. So far I have 100% failure with Malawi. What do others do to pop these fine young ladies?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are your methods?

I wet a paper towel then ring it out and place seeds in it. I then put it inside of a plastic sandwich bag blow it up and seal it. Germ temps should, optimally, be between 65-75F. Some folks achieve this by placing the bag on a warm surface during germination.

Germ typically takes between 24 hours and 7 days but some varieties can take up to a month to germinate.

Bumbatar

Maybe you need a seed heating pad. i remember when the Canadian Emery Seeds was up and running in the early 2000's Emery made a post on his blog or Q and A section about customers having trouble germinating Thai and tropical seeds but they had better luck with heating pads that mimic the tropical environment. this reminds me of the "mango seed challenge" that was going viral on youtube awhile ago.

blondie

I soak in moist paper towel over night. Into a jiffy pellet and under my light, set at 400 watt. Air temp is 79. Pellet temp Some lower. This works usually within a few days. Not so lucky right now.

vcasqui

I put them in glasses with water, on top of an old router or something that gives a little heat. I leave them there overnight. Then I take 2 plates and paper towel; wet the paper, put it on top of one plate, place the seeds, wet paper towel on top, and finally the other plate. That goes on top of the router again, and leave them there until the radicle is long enough. Make sure that the paper is always wet.

With this method my seeds usually take 2 days to be ready to go to the pots.

Once they are in the pots, spray them with water until the soil is wet enough. Then I also place a transparent bag on the pots to keep the humidity high until they show their heads.

So, basically, from what I've read (and my experience):
1-keep them wet
2-Keep them away from light
3-Keep them at 22-25º

G

growhigh1233

i just recently popped some ace Malawi......heated propagator rockwool cubs 10/10 .. success rate is is so consistent with a heated propagator...recently bought some discounted seeds and only got 1/10... total false economy that was

Last edited:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Those paper things I read on cannabis forum, still puzzling me to be honnest...

Seeds germinate in soil, not in paper.

Samuel Caldwell

420giveaway
Paper towels and similar are regularly used for various seed germination tests because it's quick and easy to see the seeds. Coffee filters are a good option because the tiny tap root hairs don't grow into the fibers like they do on paper towels.

Moisture, temperature, oxygen and darkness. Leave your lights off until they've sprouted and are growing.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Moisture, temperature, oxygen and darkness. Leave your lights off until they've sprouted and are growing.
Which is exactly what happens when you put them in soil. Handling seeds once buds are out is a very bad idea: stress, contamination, light on the root... I have popped countless seeds in my life (I grow food for a living) and never used paper once. Seeds only need warmth and humidity to pop, nothing else. I don’t know who was the first ever to spread that idea about paper but he should have stayed in his/her bed that day.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi blondie,

Sorry to hear about your germination problem with Malawi. Malawi is one of our best selling strains and we produce very frequently fresh stock so it's very rare a customer reports germination problems with the regular or feminized version of the strain.

Please, send us an email to: info@aceseeds.org explaining in detail your germination conditions and method, along with the reference number or invoice of your order and we will evaluate your case.

Best regards, dubi

YukonKronic

I tried a couple different peat pellets and coco pellets. All failed. Rapid rooters are supposed to be good but I haven't tried em.
Solo shot glass full of pro mix HP or even plain peat. Put a hole in bottom and set it in a dish of water. Keep seeds 1/4 inch under surface (of dirt...water need only come halfway up cup at most) wrap Saran Wrap or a lid to keep it humid. Put dish somewhere over 20 C but under 25C and check it/allow some airflow once or twice a day.
Keep it really wet warm and STERILE first couple days and I bet 90% come up.

orfeas

Veteran
Which is exactly what happens when you put them in soil. Handling seeds once buds are out is a very bad idea: stress, contamination, light on the root... I have popped countless seeds in my life (I grow food for a living) and never used paper once. Seeds only need warmth and humidity to pop, nothing else. I don’t know who was the first ever to spread that idea about paper but he should have stayed in his/her bed that day.

I second the notion no doubt, have sprouted them seeds in soil, as it is meant to be...however, I've taken to this uterus concept and been soaking them in plain water in a dark glass and in conditions as close to the afore mentioned ones...rarely have I been let down, the same goes for soil... :)

:tiphat:orfeas