What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kobe Bryant dead at 41

EsterEssence

Veteran
I had a thought about the moments and what they all felt as they knew about the inevitable outcome, they are all in my thoughts today...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I got one of them 'fly a helicopter' activity days as a present. I gave it back. They didn't use it either. The risk/gain analysis isn't favorable as a passenger.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sadden by the loss of a legend along with his teen daughter accompanying him. His second act to help kids with sports. RIP.

C

Capra ibex

RIP Kobe... been devastated by the news all day

'Celebrity' deaths don't usually have much effect on me, even Robin Williams' didn't bring me to tears, and i was a pretty big fan of a lot of his films, The World According to Garp and Good Will Hunting the 2 that first come to mind....

I'm not a Lakers fan and i was never really much of a Kobe fan.... i knew how good he was and was probably the most obsessed player i ever saw.... i'm still thinking because i'm not sure why, but i found myself welling up with tears a few times today.

I guess because i've been a basketball fan most of my life and Kobe was always one of the most prominent personalities even when he was a teenage rookie.... he seemed like his personality had warmed up and he was enjoying life more toward the end of his career and after with his girls.

RIP Kobe and Gianna and all aboard the helicopter.... the footage was horrible. :frown:

usda101

Hit me like a Ton of bricks it really hurts . So intelligent of a man and his daughter too , life's so unfair .

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My take based on current news I have seen and some background: The news is showing video of a chopper that looks like a S-76. It is very close to the cloud bottom - hazy, in and out clouds - and going very slowly forward. The radar says the chopper was climbing. The pilot reported he was climbing to avoid clouds - up into clouds? I think he might have fibbed about still being VFR and was trying to do a slow climb in IFR conditions. That vid was probably before they went up into the clouds, maybe to get "on top". The pilot was a local and a good instrument chopper pilot, but a slow moving climb in real IFR is supposed to be really tricky.

In a chopper if you "tip over" you are F'ed, especially in IFR conditions cause all you see outside is white. No up, no down. The radar shows that after some climbing the chopper went down fast. This may suggest the pilot lost it while trying to get on top of the clouds, and couldn't recover due to low altitude. Camarillo airport was supposed to be 4 miles away. They could have done an IFR approach to the airport, and from there whatever. They were scud running and that sometimes ends poorly. RIP all onboard.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It really bothers me a lot, maybe it is too painful to think about, but this helicopter was clocked at descending super fast for the last MINUTE before it crashed. My few trips on a helicopter were horrible, won't do it again. To descend at some super fast speed for a minute must have been unbearable if they were conscious. God Bless.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I understand his wife wanting to recover money, cause Kobe Bryant is dead. I do not agree with going after the pilot. He died trying, and shit happens. Flying a helicopter in the soup is no joke. I have read that this was not an instrument capable aircraft or operation.

From the article: Someone in the Bryant family had forgotten the candied yams at home.

Fuckin candied yams! Pilot's family ought to countersue over having to fly in that soup, to fetch some candied yams that someone forgot.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/he-was...now-hes-blamed-for-kobes-death-053144431.html

The NTSB has homed in on weather — and on how Zobayan navigated it. On the morning of the crash, he texted a group of Kobe’s travel coordinators: “Weather looking OK.” But footage from cameras near the crash site show low clouds and valleys cloaked in fog. Some experts who spoke with Yahoo Sports say Zobayan never should have taken off. Others dub that decision a “judgment call.” But all agree that, when treacherous conditions arose, Zobayan should have landed mid-flight.

“He should’ve landed at Van Nuys,” an airport in northwest LA, says Robert Ditchey, an aviation consultant. “Period.”

Instead, he flew onward, beneath the clouds. As he followed Highway 101 westbound, terrain began to rise, narrowing the gap between the ground and the clouds. At 9:44 a.m., the helicopter was roughly 300 feet above the ground. Around this time, with visibility low, Zobayan decided to climb – out of the haze, through and above the clouds, to safety. He pushed to 1,600 feet, to 1,800, to 2,000. “Climbing to four thousand,” he told air traffic control.

But as he reached 2,300 feet, he stopped climbing — and either started or continued turning. Then, he began accelerating toward earth. The NTSB has theorized that, while enveloped by clouds, Zobayan became “spatially disoriented” – that he lost his sense of up vs. down and left vs. right. Experts who spoke with Yahoo Sports, including a former NTSB investigator, believe Zobayan lost control of the aircraft. No other reason for his rapid descent into a hillside has been found.

Last edited:

Dognponyshow

Latest posts

Latest posts