What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THC AND CBD MADE FROM/BY YEAST

CBDHELP

Hi everyone, i am interested in what your opinions are about the CBD production from yeast.

Im new to this forum, i hope its okay to post external links.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/cannabinoids-yeast-1.5035819

As its stated in this article and many others currently popping across the news sites, they are able to efficiently produce cannabinoids.

"They are now industrializing the microbe and then working on scaling up production."

Prices like 20 Cent a Gramm of pure CBD are mentioned.

As i said im quite new to this and looking to get my informations right so please take it easy with me.

I would like to know what you guys think. Are these yeast cannabinoids likely to replace our CBD/THC products on the market? Making hemp fields needless?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Nearly posted this myself. Yes, they can do it, but no talk of yield that I see. I also read them talking of citrus fruits are a source for the same lemon flavours found in pot. So they can economically produce hash and baked goods. Pills to pop. Things like that.

They have got what they wanted from legalisation now. Lots of people able to experiment freely with this new revenue maker. Finding methods that big pharma can employ to answer all the health reasons that were given for legalisation. Very soon we won't need to grow cannabis for medical reasons. Or making tinctures. Resin. Oils. Edibles. In fact, the only reason to grow green might be to smoke it. Which will probably see it banned again.

CBDHELP

Didnt want to post every article, but if u do some research they say there are about 8mg of THC or CBD in a solution of 1 Litre. Also they talk about 1 kilo for like 25$. was thinking about getting something done in this business too.. but thats pretty shitty haha

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Perhaps my math is off, but that a 125 ton vessel to make a Kg. I'm not sure anywhere in the UK has cheap enough land to compete with that price.

CBDHELP

No, sorry i dont think your math is off. You are right. I just didnt say it the right way.

Its not possible now, that were just estimated numbers. They are working scaling up now. Ill post the links tomorrow

CBDHELP

I have to agree that CBD products are way too expensive. I am from germany, prices here are 30€ for 500mg. For treating real health issues that would be a dose for a single day. Not affordable so prices should definitely come down. But having this patented and shit lays it all in one hand, killing thousands of workplaces. Good for patients, bad if u had to feed your family with this business

Cvh

Supermod
Pure THCa and CBDa can also be synthetised in a lab using chemicals.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Science has a history of proceeding ahead without much future consideration. I can cite technology that has helped people. I can say I promote or believe in modern science.

However insulin is also produced by genetically engineered organisms. The greater picture here, is while one group of patients may benefit (type 1 diabetes) from synthetic or cultured insulin, type 2 diabetics may not actually be benefiting.

Continuing a person on cultured insulin, instead of treating this person to get rid of their insulin dependence, is contributing to their disease. Allowing it to continue is the same thing as supporting it.

Now the logical argument becomes if you are issuing insulin to type 2 diabetics you could be under scrutiny for contributing to their ailment or poisoning them - the oath of doctors do no harm is a strange one when you count the harm caused by medical care.

This is a conundrum, tin foil hat fuel, etc, as we all know health care to be a large entity. If it's so large, and it sure isn't helping, then what? A piece of the economy and culture of that size, if we have to question whether it is causing a net harm to the public, when it claims to be helping, is a clue to the answer.

While I would not be surprised to hear about this cannabinoid synthesis continuing, keep in mind what is expressed as cost in terms of dollar amount doesn't reflect the actual value of the product.

If real maple syrup costs $1000 per kg then what you're doing here is bragging that wal mart now sells pancake syrup also known as sugar water with synthetic flavor.

I asked a doctor, medical school dean via email about their own laboratory's research on liver disease and cannabinoid receptors. He replied that he didn't know what I was talking about. When his name is on the research.

Last edited:

CBDHELP

I think i do get your point. English is not my native english so maybe i got you wrong, im sorry.

But in this case.. a molecule is a molecule right? So these CBD oils and stuff contain CBD, not really anything else.. if u come with a "sythetic" molecule, its still the same. Should not make a difference to the average consumer.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Your argument sounds like how doctors start lecturing on organic chemistry then talk about glucose. Yes a glucose molecule is a glucose molecule but in the greater context too much sugar has wreaked havoc on the entire population meanwhile doctors give the same lecture about glucose from a hundred years ago when it is 2018. Dust bowl and obesity epidemic happened since then and pharma doubles down on its high tech answer again. If too many chemicals caused cancer, chemicals in a test tube isn't the place to be looking for a cure. This is like a circular argument.

More small organic gardens, no agrichem pharma monsanto. History of poison tangled with and advertised as medicine.

Cvh

Supermod
But in this case.. a molecule is a molecule right? So these CBD oils and stuff contain CBD, not really anything else.. if u come with a "sythetic" molecule, its still the same. Should not make a difference to the average consumer.

Thats the plan or better said what the industry atleast wants us to belief.

Better is to grow plants using sustainable organic growing methods. With no chemicals beign fed to the plant or sprayed on. This will reduce the co2 levels also a bit and doesn't require the use of non-renewable products (chemical fertilisers) to be used in the proces which are also harmful to the enviroment.

Give people just weed or dry sift hash / rosin. This will have the complete benefit of all the cannabinoids and terpenes present in the plant. And would not require nasty chemical/gas extractions to make those 100% pure molecules.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've said this before on different topics:
I don't want the cannabinoids that I consume to be GMO.
GMO vegetables are bad enough, but we don't smoke vegetables!

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
I went to school for this and people (proponents) attempt to side step the argument, that is their argument. Instead of discussing the specific details and plan of an engineering (genetic) project, openly with considerations etc, there appears nearly propaganda stigmatizing non-gmo or anti-gmo or anti-vax, when that isn't necessarily the case. Places people or groups that talk about owning intellectual property or holding patents might be where to look - the issue here is who deserves credit when only one person signs their name on a government form? You might say at least in some cases it isn't necessarily the person with the idea but the one who wrote it up or turned it in or got credit for it.

To entertain their claims (while I disagree) this machine might make effective extracts in bulk. Is that correct medically, morally to award a billion dollar machine to one company? One building supplies an entire grocery chain with thc and cbd syrup? Whether in Nebraska or Texas the thc extract is all grown in the same vat in a factory?

Last edited:

CBDHELP

No, imo i sound like someone who just said that a molecule is a molecule and that your doctor comparison applies to yourself. Im not pro synthetic cbd so chill please

funkyhorse

The cost of cannabis shouldnt be higher than the cost of parsley or tomatoes, in Paraguay a kilo of pressed cannabis at Pedro Juan Caballero costs just 8u$s a kilo, from this article, very interesting one, you can use google translator:

https://lento.ladiaria.com.uy/artic...-narcos-brasilenos-en-el-corazon-de-paraguay/

..."Durante seis meses, Gérson invirtió 8.200 dólares y cosechó seis toneladas de marihuana, que al final del proceso de secado serán cuatro toneladas y media de prensado. Considerando que el kilo en la frontera cuesta ocho dólares y 180 en el sudeste brasileño, el negocio es extremadamente lucrativo y seductor, incluso con los gastos en propinas, transporte y salarios."...

..."During 6 months, Gerson invested 8200u$s and harvested 6 tonnes of marihuana, which at the end of the drying and pressing process will be a total of 4,5 tonnes of pressed weed. Considering the price at the frontier at 8u$s a kilo and 180u$s at outheast Brazil, the business is very profitable...

At 400u$s a kilo for yeast weed, Paraguay is still much cheaper. You cant grow it and make it cheaper than growing it at Landraceland, no matter what all kind of doctors in bullshittism might tell you.

Doctors defend their positions and their jobs even if they are not comercially or financially viable

Plenty of cannabinoids have been already synthesized, the wheel has been invented a while ago and it is very cheap. You can source JWH018 from chinese labs dirt cheap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JWH_cannabinoids

Copyrighting plants or any living being/entity and/or developing businesses at outrageous prices when you have plenty of cheap and environmentally safe options available is a symptom of a failed society which is overconsuming 1,7 times the resources the planet can give and is leading to the doom of the planet:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33133712

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-nature-damage-global-footprint-a8460756.html

paper thorn

Veteran
on that cost thing... what you seem to want is either big ag producing tons on big farms and dirt cheap labor or yeoman farmers barely making it. sharecroppers.

Latest posts

Latest posts