What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BIG News! DEA enjoined, WAMM Safe!

DrJay2001

now at peace
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Tony Newman
April 21, 2004 (212) 613-8026

Landmark Judgment Today: Seriously Ill Patients of Santa Cruz Medical Marijuana Collective Protected From Federal DEA Raids

Court Grants Injunction Allowing WAMM Members to Grow and Use Their Medicine

Teleconference 3:30 PM PST, April 21 2004 Featuring Plaintiffs, Legal Team and Santa Cruz Elected Officials

San Jose, CA. Eighteen months after a brutal DEA raid on a medical marijuana collective in Santa Cruz, California, the seriously ill collective members finally got the protection from future raids and harassment they have sought since filing suit against the federal government one year ago. After reconsidering his earlier decision in the high profile case County of Santa Cruz et al. v. Ashcroft, Judge Jeremy Fogel of the Northern District of California has granted Plaintiffs a preliminary injunction and denied the government’s motion to dismiss Plaintiffs’ complaint. Today’s ruling will protect the Wo/Men’s Alliance for Medical Marijuana (WAMM) while the lawsuit is pending, and allow the collective to resume cultivation.

The Drug Policy Alliance, along with the law firm Bingham McCutchen LLP, the Santa Cruz City Attorney and co-counsel Prof. Gerald Uelmen and Ben Rice, represent Plaintiffs in this case. “In the face of overzealous federal law enforcement, for the first time a court has applied the law in a way that protects the right of a group of sick people to grow and share their medicine without fear,” said Judy Appel, Director of Legal Affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance. "Today’s decision affirms the right of WAMM's members to cultivate and use marijuana for medicinal purposes free from federal interference,” stated Neha Shah Nissen, an attorney with Bingham McCutchen. “The federal government can no longer ignore the will of the people of the State of California and the City and County of Santa Cruz to protect the health and welfare of terminally and chronically ill individuals."

“We applaud the Court’s decision and we are profoundly pleased as we prepare to replant our garden,” said Valerie Corral, co-founder of WAMM. “But we also steady ourselves for a tug of war with the present administration’s unwillingness to honor the democratic process.”

G

Great news, I hope all goes well for them. I just can see the DEA now, all pisses off. Good for them, glad to see the court system worked for them. There's an article in Grow America talking about the program they run, very good stuff they are doing.
Great Job WAMM

G

What court handed down this decision? Is it gonna stick? If its a state court it wont matter, cuz federal law over rules state law.

DrJay2001

now at peace
This most recent and most welcome decision came from United States District Judge Fogel. He had initially turned WAMM down but after the Ninth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals upheld rights in the Raich case, the propenents went back to Court and this Federal Judge reversed himself.

The Feds are certain to appeal this case and that of Angel Raich to the US Supreme Court where the final decision is most uncertain.

For the time being though the Ninth Circuit ruling is the law of the land within the 9th Circuit area of jurisdiction.

This is a huge victory. We couldn't have better advocates than Angel Raich and the WAMM folks. They are entirely credible and have great legal teams.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

G

Awsome, I'm very happy for them. The article is in Grow America with the Volcano on the front cover if anyone want to read above WAMM and what has happen to them in the pass. Just thought i would post this info. Pretty good article and very nice place with awsome people.

Here you go
63WAMM.jpg

G

Gotta love them 9th circuit judges. If it was'nt for them a lot more tokers would be screwed. So Doc J. I take it you live up north? (No. Cal)

DrJay2001

now at peace
Actually, I live in SoCal but I'm on the road a great deal. My route takes me through the Sierra Foothills, Sonoma, SF, Mendo, Humboldt, Oregon, Washington, and BC.

We're in the process of relocating to NoCal. I went to school up there (UC and Stanford) and just love it.

BTW, some of the world's best cannabis is grown in Santa Cruz. It's still the home of Big Sur Holy Weed and other great strains.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

Edit: just a note on that great cover art: Mike is one of the parties in the WAMM suit (Valaries husband) and Jean Hashimoto is one of the finest cannabis artist/photographers I know.

G

I too am in So.Cal. You must be the PCH road warrior. I've been wanting to take the 1 for a road trip, just for the hell of it. Maybe when harvest season comes around again.

DrJay2001

now at peace
Actually, my old friend LJ (a retired truck driver and patient) used to take me all these places when I was too sick to drive. We called her Ford Econoline the "Canny Bus". Now, I drive myself but I learned from LJ to take the SLOW road.

Right about the end of summer every year we have a secret rendezvous in the forests of the Sierra's. It's a harvest festival with many medical gardeners bringing their finest.

Man, these folks can grow. Sierra mountain shade grown Train Wreck, Maui Wowee, Afgooey, Early Girl, Cali-O, Blueberry, California Indica, etc. One strain is better than the next.

And the scissor hash is better than anything in Vancouver or San Francisco!

Yours,
Dr. Jay

Good for the weed. Good for WAMM. I liked seeing the gardens of "Those who do it anyhow". When I saw the pics of WAMM's stripped hillside and Eddy's butchered gardens I was sad. I was even more saddened when I realized that HUNDREDS of medicinal users would be braving the streets and rip-off dealers to gain their Herbs. Peace Mike and Valerie your strength and resolve are an example of the forces needed to fight the War on Weed.