What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hermied again??

Grassimo

My god i dont know how this happened again...

mtqp2r.jpg

Im assuming thats a hermie? 4 or 5 plants seem to have that happened and i got no idea why...

Could it be my vent ports are open in the tent and cold air is coming through and stressing them? Outside my tent is 19 celcius but inside stays nice at 23-25 celcius. I touched the earth of a plant closest to the vent and it is a little cold though..

Should i cut them and start a new grow or just finish these? This is the third time this happens, before every time i had excellent buds??

Thanks for help

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Some strains are just prone to it. Is there any light getting at them during dark period??? That includes red lights on timers or power strips. Light could also get in from vents on tent.

Grassimo

Some strains are just prone to it. Is there any light getting at them during dark period??? That includes red lights on timers or power strips. Light could also get in from vents on tent.

No light man, its dark in the room and tent and the fan timer has a little tiny green light but i think it goes off during night. The vent are in the back too, ive looked in when the lights are off i cant even see the plants its pitch black :S

Also they are all different strains :S

Do i have to restart? this sucks so bad

Loc Dog

Veteran
Light is the most common cause, and the only thing I and people I know have had problems with.

Are you sure the timer is set properly? I had cheap mechanical timers, and the pins that are pushed down or pulled up, one was not seated right and light came on during dark period.

If that is not the case, you will have to wait for others to chime in.

Just did google search and found this -

The main stressors that might cause a marijuana plant to become a hermaphrodite include:

photoperiod changes or disruptions
temperatures being too high, or other environmental issues that the plant doesn’t thrive in
leaving the harvesting until it is too late
broken or damaged parts of the plant
too much or too little water
over fertilizing
diseases or pest infestations, or phytotoxic product use, such as fungicides or pesticides
mother plants that have been growing for too long might begin producing hermaphroditic clones as well

This usually occurs via the use of hormones, or bad treatment. The resulting stress can cause the flowering phase to be left to its own devices for too long. It is an evolutionary trait for females to become hermaphrodites when it’s been too long, and they haven’t been fertilized yet, as it allows for the continuation of the species, despite difficult conditions.

Grassimo

Light is the most common cause, and the only thing I and people I know have had problems with.

Are you sure the timer is set properly? I had cheap mechanical timers, and the pins that are pushed down or pulled up, one was not seated right and light came on during dark period.

If that is not the case, you will have to wait for others to chime in.

Just did google search and found this -

The main stressors that might cause a marijuana plant to become a hermaphrodite include:

photoperiod changes or disruptions
temperatures being too high, or other environmental issues that the plant doesn’t thrive in
leaving the harvesting until it is too late
broken or damaged parts of the plant
too much or too little water
over fertilizing
diseases or pest infestations, or phytotoxic product use, such as fungicides or pesticides
mother plants that have been growing for too long might begin producing hermaphroditic clones as well

Man i over watered them once, one plant had gotten rot rot in another thread you can see but i cut him out, i assume all the rest just got stressed severely then? :S

Grassimo

What hybrid?

Had a few different in there. Not sure which one is which exactly but 4 or 5 out of 7 are hermied.

Jock horror - sativa seeds
strawberry blue - world of seeds
kushberry - dna genetics
connoisseur cookies - connoisseur genetics
western winds ( got the root rot and threw out)
Double alien 18 - DNA
Exodus Kush - cant remember who

I dont think its genetics tho :S

Loc Dog

Veteran
When I have heard about genetics causing it, it has been from clones, which would be a specific phenotype. Gorilla Glue #4, it is typically light that does it, but most growers of that are experienced, and would not make the other mistakes.

I have never seen anything produce male flowers that early. I got one seed once, and saw a little yellow on a couple of full buds, about a week before harvest.

I would wait to see what others say.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Something else from google search -

How to Avoid Causing Hermies or Bananas

This section will explain what you can do as a grower to reduce your chances of running into hermies or bananas in your grow room...

1.) Avoid Inconsistent Flowering Light Periods & Light Leaks

Keep indoor lights on timer, and avoid changing the light schedule if possible

Prevent outdoor plants from being exposed to street lights, flood lights or other types of artificial lights during the night

Respect the dark period - In flowering it's important to make sure all your plants (except auto-flowering strains) get at least 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness every night. Avoid shortened dark periods and light leaks!

No matter what the strain, try to keep your plants on a consistent schedule throughout their lives, as this helps them set their circadian rhythms.

And for photoperiod plants in the flowering stage, do not interrupt the plant’s 12-hour dark period with light for any reason.

Why? During the dark period your plant is “counting” the hours until sunlight appears, and interrupting this process is one of the most common ways to stress the plant to produce bananas or hermies. It can also cause your plant to revert back to the vegetative stage.

Along with the point above, make sure you do not have any light leaks in your grow space, which could allow outside light to filter in during the dark period. During the dark period your plants like complete darkness.

If anything ever happens with your timer or power that causes your plant to get too much light or darkness, it’s important to correct your timer as soon as possible. But don’t worry about it too much if it happens just for one day. It's usually okay if it happens only once, but be careful not to let it happen again since too much messing up the light schedule can cause hermies.

2.) Maintain Proper Temperature Through Flowering Stage

Maintain a comfortable temperature in flowering stage, between 65-85°F (18-30°C) - temps should be slightly cooler at night than during the day

Always use “hand-test” to make sure it doesn’t feel too hot in the top canopy of buds under the light - Put one of your hands (palm facing down) under your grow lights where the top of your plants are located and wait 10 seconds - if it feels too hot for your hand it's too hot for the plants!

Learn more about temperature here: http://www.growweedeasy.com/temperature-growing-cannabis

The temperature in your cannabis grow room is important to success

3.) Don’t Give Your Plants Too Much Light (Light-Burn)

While generally more light is better for your cannabis plants, very high power brightness can light-burn your plants, which stresses plants, causes unwanted bleaching, and can trigger the plant to hermie on you.

With high power LED grow lights and big HID lights, make sure to always follow the manufacturer’s specifications as far as minimum distance from the top of the plants!

Don’t keep your lights too close because even if the heat is under control, too much brightness can cause stress too.

Light-burn is only common with high power LEDs (3W chipsets and bigger, x-lens technology, etc) and big HIDs or perhaps multiple smaller HIDs (usually with an intense cooling system).

It is more difficult to “light-burn” your plants with fluorescent lights, CFLs, smaller HIDs, etc - with these lights you only need to worry about heat.

High Power LEDs or HID Grow Lights Will Light-Burn Plants When Kept Too Close
(yes, even if the temperature is completely under control)

LED grow lights are a common culprit for cannabis light burn

Learn more about giving your plants too much light

4.) Prevent Major Plant Problems

A huge stress to the plant can cause the plant to react in unpredictable ways, including producing bananas and male pollen sacs. Huge stresses include...

Major nutrient deficiency

Nutrient Burn - given too much nutrients

Pest infestation

Total leaf loss (usually as the result of overzealous defoliation or bugs)

Any other huge stress to the plant

Hermie plant showing a few female pistils - hermied after being stressedWant to read about a real example?

The plant pictured to the right was subjected to cold temperatures and then grew directly into the grow light, putting it under a lot of stress.

From the grower Saberabre: “So I left this girl (or what I thought was a girl, notice the pistils at the bottom calyx) over the weekend and came back to the plant up in the light getting burned. Yikes! I'm not too sure what happened here but it got pretty cold the last few days. I think it's a hermie...”

A few days before this pic, the plant was just showing a few white pistils and appeared to be female.

After the stress that it went through, the grower came back to a plant that was completely covered in male pollen sacs, with the first few white pistils being the only sign of this plant being female.

5.) Always Start With Trusted Genetics

Hermaproditism and mixed gender buds seems to be more common when growing plants from bagseed (seeds that you find) or seeds from an unprofessional breeder.

Do feminized seeds cause hermies?

The reason this is so is because seedy buds are worth less than sinsemilla (unseeded buds). Therefore, if you find a seed in your bud, it likely was the result of either bad growing practices (male plants weren’t removed in time) or due to some type of negligence (plants were stressed and self-pollinated, which means the next generation is most likely to do so).

When you’re buying seeds from a trusted breeder, they go to great lengths to prevent unintended pollination, and they specifically select for plants that don’t ever show mixed gender traits.

G

ganjygav

Something else from google search -

How to Avoid Causing Hermies or Bananas

This section will explain what you can do as a grower to reduce your chances of running into hermies or bananas in your grow room...

1.) Avoid Inconsistent Flowering Light Periods & Light Leaks

Keep indoor lights on timer, and avoid changing the light schedule if possible

Prevent outdoor plants from being exposed to street lights, flood lights or other types of artificial lights during the night

Respect the dark period - In flowering it's important to make sure all your plants (except auto-flowering strains) get at least 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness every night. Avoid shortened dark periods and light leaks!

No matter what the strain, try to keep your plants on a consistent schedule throughout their lives, as this helps them set their circadian rhythms.

And for photoperiod plants in the flowering stage, do not interrupt the plant’s 12-hour dark period with light for any reason.

Why? During the dark period your plant is “counting” the hours until sunlight appears, and interrupting this process is one of the most common ways to stress the plant to produce bananas or hermies. It can also cause your plant to revert back to the vegetative stage.

Along with the point above, make sure you do not have any light leaks in your grow space, which could allow outside light to filter in during the dark period. During the dark period your plants like complete darkness.

If anything ever happens with your timer or power that causes your plant to get too much light or darkness, it’s important to correct your timer as soon as possible. But don’t worry about it too much if it happens just for one day. It's usually okay if it happens only once, but be careful not to let it happen again since too much messing up the light schedule can cause hermies.

2.) Maintain Proper Temperature Through Flowering Stage

Maintain a comfortable temperature in flowering stage, between 65-85°F (18-30°C) - temps should be slightly cooler at night than during the day

Always use “hand-test” to make sure it doesn’t feel too hot in the top canopy of buds under the light - Put one of your hands (palm facing down) under your grow lights where the top of your plants are located and wait 10 seconds - if it feels too hot for your hand it's too hot for the plants!

Learn more about temperature here: http://www.growweedeasy.com/temperature-growing-cannabis

The temperature in your cannabis grow room is important to success

3.) Don’t Give Your Plants Too Much Light (Light-Burn)

While generally more light is better for your cannabis plants, very high power brightness can light-burn your plants, which stresses plants, causes unwanted bleaching, and can trigger the plant to hermie on you.

With high power LED grow lights and big HID lights, make sure to always follow the manufacturer’s specifications as far as minimum distance from the top of the plants!

Don’t keep your lights too close because even if the heat is under control, too much brightness can cause stress too.

Light-burn is only common with high power LEDs (3W chipsets and bigger, x-lens technology, etc) and big HIDs or perhaps multiple smaller HIDs (usually with an intense cooling system).

It is more difficult to “light-burn” your plants with fluorescent lights, CFLs, smaller HIDs, etc - with these lights you only need to worry about heat.

High Power LEDs or HID Grow Lights Will Light-Burn Plants When Kept Too Close
(yes, even if the temperature is completely under control)

LED grow lights are a common culprit for cannabis light burn

Learn more about giving your plants too much light

4.) Prevent Major Plant Problems

A huge stress to the plant can cause the plant to react in unpredictable ways, including producing bananas and male pollen sacs. Huge stresses include...

Major nutrient deficiency

Nutrient Burn - given too much nutrients

Pest infestation

Total leaf loss (usually as the result of overzealous defoliation or bugs)

Any other huge stress to the plant

Hermie plant showing a few female pistils - hermied after being stressedWant to read about a real example?

The plant pictured to the right was subjected to cold temperatures and then grew directly into the grow light, putting it under a lot of stress.

From the grower Saberabre: “So I left this girl (or what I thought was a girl, notice the pistils at the bottom calyx) over the weekend and came back to the plant up in the light getting burned. Yikes! I'm not too sure what happened here but it got pretty cold the last few days. I think it's a hermie...”

A few days before this pic, the plant was just showing a few white pistils and appeared to be female.

After the stress that it went through, the grower came back to a plant that was completely covered in male pollen sacs, with the first few white pistils being the only sign of this plant being female.

5.) Always Start With Trusted Genetics

Hermaproditism and mixed gender buds seems to be more common when growing plants from bagseed (seeds that you find) or seeds from an unprofessional breeder.

Do feminized seeds cause hermies?

The reason this is so is because seedy buds are worth less than sinsemilla (unseeded buds). Therefore, if you find a seed in your bud, it likely was the result of either bad growing practices (male plants weren’t removed in time) or due to some type of negligence (plants were stressed and self-pollinated, which means the next generation is most likely to do so).

When you’re buying seeds from a trusted breeder, they go to great lengths to prevent unintended pollination, and they specifically select for plants that don’t ever show mixed gender traits.

You see I don't buy into the light leak thing. Yeah if it's a lot of light I can see it causing disruption. The only reason I say this is because I grow a plant every year in my back yard and right at the back outside the fence we have a l.e.d bright street light. It shines into my garden. Also I have a sensor flood security light that lights up bright for 30 seconds everytime our or the neighbours cats walk around back yard. I've never had a hermie from back yard.

I have had plenty of plants turn hermi indoors though and apart from gg#4 all plants that hermed were from seed. GG4 was my fault I snapped main stem trying to bend her and only left bottom nodes.
I am one for buying cheaper seeds though so mine are probably bad genetics.

I think also maybe my lights on temp and lights off temp was a contributor. I never really kept check of lights out temp but I've started to now.

G

ganjygav

My god i dont know how this happened again...

View Image

Im assuming thats a hermie? 4 or 5 plants seem to have that happened and i got no idea why...

Could it be my vent ports are open in the tent and cold air is coming through and stressing them? Outside my tent is 19 celcius but inside stays nice at 23-25 celcius. I touched the earth of a plant closest to the vent and it is a little cold though..

Should i cut them and start a new grow or just finish these? This is the third time this happens, before every time i had excellent buds??

Thanks for help

Looks like your leaves in the back ground have the down turned tips. Isnt this too much N?

Loc Dog

Veteran
You see I don't buy into the light leak thing. Yeah if it's a lot of light I can see it causing disruption. The only reason I say this is because I grow a plant every year in my back yard and right at the back outside the fence we have a l.e.d bright street light. It shines into my garden. Also I have a sensor flood security light that lights up bright for 30 seconds everytime our or the neighbours cats walk around back yard. I've never had a hermie from back yard.

I have had plenty of plants turn hermi indoors though and apart from gg#4 all plants that hermed were from seed. GG4 was my fault I snapped main stem trying to bend her and only left bottom nodes.
I am one for buying cheaper seeds though so mine are probably bad genetics.

I think also maybe my lights on temp and lights off temp was a contributor. I never really kept check of lights out temp but I've started to now.

I only had it with GG4 indoors, assuming red lights on timers. It was so small I did nothing. Under HPS light, colors are fucked up. I got one seed drop out of a grinder. Growing it now. Mother got broadmites. Someone else PM'd me, saying that got hermies. Covered red light on timer, never had them again.

G

ganjygav

I only had it with GG4 indoors, assuming red lights on timers. It was so small I did nothing. Under HPS light, colors are fucked up. I got one seed drop out of a grinder. Growing it now. Mother got broadmites. Someone else PM'd me, saying that got hermies. Covered red light on timer, never had them again.

Maybe it's the red light that does it then. My power pack and timer are outside the tent anyway. I just prefer it like that. I also keep the thermometer and rh meter outside a of tent but I have the sensor inside. That way I get temp and rh of the room and inside the tent.
I do tend to get a few male flowers at the end flower that I just ignore or pluck off on most of my plants. Never had a fully developed seed in my bud though.

The ones like grassimo has are the ones to worry about.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Maybe it's the red light that does it then. My power pack and timer are outside the tent anyway. I just prefer it like that. I also keep the thermometer and rh meter outside a of tent but I have the sensor inside. That way I get temp and rh of the room and inside the tent.
I do tend to get a few male flowers at the end flower that I just ignore or pluck off on most of my plants. Never had a fully developed seed in my bud though.

The ones like grassimo has are the ones to worry about.

Mine were in a brutally tight area, under HPS light, without proper glasses. Could have sworn I saw a dozen yellow spots on buds, but only saw one seed, falling out of grinder. Must have vaped a couple of hundred grams of that batch, and only one.

I am only pontificating about GG4, since heard about a bunch of people that said they had light exposure and had hermies.

I suck ass growing in coir. May have been cold in area after lights out, for the one seed I got.

G

ganjygav

Mine were in a brutally tight area, under HPS light, without proper glasses. Could have sworn I saw a dozen yellow spots on buds, but only saw one seed, falling out of grinder. Must have vaped a couple of hundred grams of that batch, and only one.

I am only pontificating about GG4, since heard about a bunch of people that said they had light exposure and had hermies.

I suck ass growing in coir. May have been cold in area after lights out, for the one seed I got.

Yeah I don't think the nannas late in flower are too much of a problem. I binned my gg4 when it hermed but it hermed at start of flower. I wish now I could have kept it for seeds. I was just so bummed out about messing the plant up though.

Grassimo

Was feeding them sense bloom, half what they say. Last feed was only water an big bud :S lasted a few days at least

Got a lot of the same seeds I bought packs so Ima restart today and chop them all, wasted 2 months again only I don't know what caused the seeds this time.

All my timers are outside the tent so there's no light leaks this time, could it be the fan I have ? It's really big just on the lowest setting, it's a wind machine?

Or the room outside the tent is 19 celcius and cold air is coming they the vents?

Really don't understand what happened lol