What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Heavy Marijuana Users Earn Less

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
All the people I know that are considered "light" cannabis users usually are broke as hell and can't afford to be a "heavy" user. Anyone I've met with a "heavy" cannabis habit has some sort of decent income and there for like to enjoy it recreationally by rocking the ganj! HEAVY!

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I have several mental and physical issues that have left me disabled. These are genetic, and there's no cure for any of them. I also didn't smoke weed until I was 23. Never have been a drinker either. So weed didn't do this to me. In fact, it's the only thing that really helps consistently. Am I digging through trash for a living because I'm on weed, or am I on weed because it helps me even go out and do that much?

I remember at my last job all the pot smokers were the hardest workers, and all the non-smokers stood around all the time. This was at a charitable organization no less. The only time I EVER got accused of being high was when I wasn't high at all.

Then there was a big scandal in which employees were stealing huge amounts from the company. Wasn't the pot smokers stealing, but it was all the pot smokers who got fired. I've seen this other places too. Two guys got in a fight at another store and a non-smoker shoved a smoker off the loading dock. The smoker was too scared to report the accident because they would get tested, but then she got really sick from the injury. She then got fired because they forced her to take a drug test. She gets no medical help from the company or the government. If she didn't have a boyfriend who takes good care of her, she'd be really screwed right now. This is the worst I saw there regarding potheads, but hardly the only thing. I've seen many other businesses dumping all blame for anything they can on pot smokers. Machine broke? Drug test! Boss is in a bad mood? Drug test! It's a constant shell game that allows them to hide the problems. It also makes pot smokers look bad while making non-smoker drunks seem more successful.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Possibly they earn less because they're smart enough to not take just any job, the first one that pops up. Maybe they're more interested in family time, happy with what income they have. As long as they're in a good place, like thier job, have flexible hours etc, why try to move up the ladder? They see what greed does to corporate individuals every night on the News. This study doesn't address any of those issues. DD

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Just wanted to clear this up cannabis doesn't damage the brain or cognitive abilities (see below) =) Also if you are looking for a motivation high smoke a sativa or sativa dominant hybrid and stay away from over-mature (Flowered too long) and overly-potent pure indicas in the morning. Some indica dominants are fine in the morning if you have a nice tolerance and strong determination for the activities of the day.

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain:
Analysis of Studies Finds Little Effect From Long-Term Use

Full Article @ http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20030701/heavy-marijuana-use-doesnt-damage-brain

The researchers found only a "very small" impairment in memory and learning among long-term marijuana users. Otherwise, scores on thinking tests were similar to those who don't smoke marijuana, according to a new analysis of 15 previous studies.

In those studies, some 700 regular marijuana users were compared with 484 non-users on various aspects of brain function -- including reaction time, language and motor skills, reasoning ability, memory, and the ability to learn new information.

"We were somewhat surprised by our finding, especially since there's been a controversy for some years on whether long-term cannabis use causes brain damage," says lead researcher and psychiatrist Igor Grant, MD.

"I suppose we expected to see some differences in people who were heavy users, but in fact the differences were very minimal."

(Continued in Full Article @ http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20030701/heavy-marijuana-use-doesnt-damage-brain)

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Strains with higher Cannabidiol (CDB) prevents memory issues associated with Cannabis

Foreword:
The medical cannabis movement needs to be country wide, and we need to move towards full legalization ASAP; to prevent the fed from attacking the states for medical use (claiming that anything under schedule 1 has no medical value). If it was legal, they would no longer have their bull shit grounds to stand on in harassing medical patients and growers country wide.

Found a really interesting article on how strains with higher amounts of CDB - remove any memory issues associated with cannabis use. They found strains high in THC with very little to no CDB were the culprit for the memory issues and that high CDB rates not only removed any short term memory issues - but also help rebuild brain networks (Neuron genesis) for diseases where brain damage or memory loss is an issue - like Alzheimer's for example. Really interesting and good info to know =]

Seriously, the Endocannabinoid (Natural cannabinoid) system in our body is one of the most interesting things - they have found out in the past 15 years that it is involved in the regulation of 70% of our body in one way or another. From regulating Leptin (Our bodies metabolism), regulating inflammation, releasing the high associated with eating chocolate (Anandamide), or most of the runner's high from working out (it used to believe it was mostly endorphins (natural opiates) but they found way more natural cannabinoids released during working out than endorphins. The natural cannabinoid system has been found to have a part in the natural regulation of hundreds of functions involving the body.

Impact of cannabidiol on the acute memory and psychotomimetic effects of smoked cannabis: naturalistic study (2010)
Full Primary Article @ http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/197/4/285.full.pdf

Abstract Results:
Groups did not differ in the THC content of the cannabis they smoked. Unlike the marked impairment in prose recall of individuals who smoked cannabis low in cannabidiol (CDB), participants smoking cannabis high in cannabidiol (CDB) showed no memory impairment.

Conclusions

The antagonistic effects of cannabidiol (CDB) at the CB1 receptor are probably responsible for its profile in smoked cannabis, attenuating the memory-impairing effects of THC. In terms of harm reduction, users should be made aware of the higher risk of memory impairment associated with smoking low-cannabidiol strains of cannabis like ‘skunk’ and encouraged to use strains containing higher levels of cannabidiol.

Latest posts

Latest posts