What's new

8k - 10ft ceilings - how to hang everything?

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Howdy community - its been a minute.

constructing an 8k grow - 16' L x 8' W x 10' H

I lost the thread about ceiling mounting racks or what ever they are, some type of rail system.

Drywall is waiting to be mounted and before I did the ceiling I was curious if I should have a mounting system figured out for my equipment?

rooms super simple I only need to mount the lights, controller, ballasts, fan / filter combo, and thats it for the ceiling.

I recall some type of warehouse style rafters mentioned allowing extremely universal options for setting up and moving things on the ceiling.

Thank you :wave:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
If you want to be able to hang your lights anywhere from the ceiling, and have the option of moving them later if they're not just right, your best solution at this stage of construction is to cover your whole ceiling with 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch plywood. Use screws to secure it well. Then you can put up the sheetrock if you want, or just paint your plywood white....

This will make future options easy for you...

coldcanna

Veteran
Im a big fan of deep unistrut, spring nuts and 1/4 20 I bolts or hooks.

Unistrut is great to work with, the spring nuts he's talking about can slide up and down the strut allowing you to move lights in seconds. You can even get it galvanized so it won't rust, wood is very porous and can be a breeding ground for nasties, the FDA doesn't allow wood in food processing areas for example... anyways, Unistrut can be found at the box stores or any commercial construction supply store

No wood allowed in my grow room anymore. This was my solution, and I hope it works out for the long term. First time I've tried it but it's been working great. I can secure the cords to the chain as well to keep em from dangling..

Chain is.$0.61a ft and turnbuckles are less than $3 each. 1/4" chain link is $2.50.The steel thing with the holes in it was $9,and is 4 ft long so you can hit at least two studs. I used 2.5 or 3 inch deck screws.

I wouldn't hang a ton of weight on the chains but for my application I'm very happy with the outcome. With glass and ducting and XXL hoods I'd think of a more secure way to connect the chain to the wall instead of just a couple screws in the studs. I have some sort of beam going across my ceiling so I screwed into that in like 8 spots so it's more than secure, but I'm guessing most people don't have the beam in their homes unless it's a manufactured home like the one I'm in, and would have to use studs.

Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_20160509_200949_667.jpg
    IMG_20160509_200949_667.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20160509_200225_861.jpg
    IMG_20160509_200225_861.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20160509_201312_468.jpg
    IMG_20160509_201312_468.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 9

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry their side ways

sorry their side ways

So dry wall is bout to be taped and mudded.

Thank you so much everyone! I think it was unistruts that I could not remember!

So stoked everyone. Getting unistruts - wish I saw your post about the osb on the ceiling before the drywall! thats genius!!!!

but alas the whole rooms boarded up.

Definitely going unistruts - more pro - less bro!

Thank you again so much everyone - Sat Nam! Much love and light - and them good higher vibrations of positivity!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

coldcanna

Veteran
I didn't realize he was gonna be processing food in there on his ceiling...

PM and mold spores have a way easier time hiding in wood was my point.... not saying it's going to necessarily cause problems, just saying if someone is dropping cash for a 10 light setup it'd be wise money spent to use surfaces like stainless steal, plastic, or latex paint which are much easier to clean. You know the 6 Ps ...

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for joining me on my journey!

Thank you for joining me on my journey!

all thats left before the fun stuff is Mount the 2x3's for lights/filters - get the moulding put in on the doors, cut out intake, clean floor, vinyl base the bitch, prep for paint, bullzeye - then zinsser satin finish with a sprayer and then just seal the floor cracks and its game time!

I could use help with the exhaust ventilation, i'll take pictures to go with my thoughts.

I tried to build it as sealed as possible, but I think the only 100% safe option is to use negative pressure so I can sleep at night.

10" fan/filter. but maybe 8" would be better. not sure.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im building wooden 2x4 tables with casters to be movable.

Do I want to primer the wood before I fabricate the tables, or do I wanna build the tables then spray em down?

I think laying all the boards out tightly together and hitting them all together like that would be far more efficient in all ways.

thanks!

MtnLivin

I'm subbed in! I'm about to start construction on two 12'x20' rooms this weekend! They are going to be completely sealed up though.

What's wrong with wood? -granger

No wood allowed in MY grow room. I've had bad luck with it as I like my humidity higher than 50%in veg and halfway through flower. Since 1997 I've found mold on the wood only a handful of times. I used to build tables from wood and then dip the feet in epoxy resin, but still found mold after a period of time. Even if it's every five years I'm not interested in it.

Use some thick paint and have no worries about the ceiling, but along the floor I'd be concerned, paint or not. I'm not the most responsible person so I have to cater to that. It's a risk for me but may not be for others. Now days it's pvc frame for tables or I set em on cinder blocks, or in some rooms with lower ceilings I just put the 4x8trays on the floor and vacuum the waste after watering. To each their own. I think it's important to share methods and then people can have all the info and make their choice accordingly. Not one way is correct for everyone. Know yourself and your growroom and you'll be a success! My way isn't the best, but for me it works great. Have fun. Happy growing!

Im building wooden 2x4 tables with casters to be movable.

Do I want to primer the wood before I fabricate the tables, or do I wanna build the tables then spray em down?
I think laying all the boards out tightly together and hitting them all together like that would be far more efficient in all ways.

thanks!

It's probably too late but paint and prime it all first and if you ding or scratch badly during construction then touch up. Pay special attention to the the feet that are in contact with the floor. After it's built fill screw holes or paint over them really good. Good luck!

macdiesel

One of the BEST things I have ever done in my room was hang fencing/grate on the ceiling. This allows you to hang anything anywhere anytime instantly.

Latest posts

Latest posts