What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Citric Acid Degumming?

BigJohnny

At this point I think it's pretty well established that I'm a bumbling idiot with a barely minimal understanding of even the most basic of concepts but who somehow manages to achieve some kind of marginal results......like Homer Simpson, except without debilitating drinking problem as an excuse.

So if someone could be so kind as to point me to some resource or video that would explain/show the process of degumming bho/distillate with citric acid as if they were explaining it to a smarter than average 3 year old jar of mayonnaise I'll happily check it out and be out of your hair.

thank you, have a good evening.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found this:

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.516.4845&rep=rep1&type=pdf

"Acid degumming
Crude rapeseed and sunflower oils were heated to 80 °C and water solution of citric acid (30 %) was then added in amount of 2 % (by volume of the oil). The mixture was stirred for 20 minutes. The oil/acid mixture was kept at 80 °C up to 15 min, cooled down to 25 °C, mixed with water (1 %) and transferred to a holding vessel. After settling for 60 min the mixture was centrifuged for 20 min to separate acid degummed oil from its by-products."

I assume Buchner filtering instead of centrifuging is adequate, and the acidic water solution is removed with a separatory funnel.

BigJohnny

ya well this guy and a few others are the reason I no longer post or ask any questions here. it's been made very clear to me that I vastly lack the intelligence to be doing these things if I can't figure it out on my own.....and that's not an opinion gathered from just this snippet.

if i hold your hand now what are you gonna reach for when it's time to swim?

pay to play, google or crack a book.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Hey bud, that's just not true. The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.

I ride on the shoulders of others here. I ask a lot of questions and some of them are very frustrating. Take a look at the thread called "Funk Science". The OP walked me though that test thing and look how frustrated he got. But I kept pounding him and I finally learned how to do it myself.

We all learn from someone else. There's nothing wrong with that.

In another life I was the elder in hacking forums. I had regular classes, teaching people. And, yes it can be very frustrating with some students. But, the task yields it's own reward so I found that teaching is one of the best ways to learn. As most teachers know this, they don't mind walking you through things.

Others make rude comments and try to discourage you from learning. Ignore them and enjoy.

:)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah sorry should have seen that. Mobin seems more useful to read than interact with. I find him interesting, many interesting people lack social grace.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
ya well this guy and a few others are the reason I no longer post or ask any questions here. it's been made very clear to me that I vastly lack the intelligence to be doing these things if I can't figure it out on my own.....and that's not an opinion gathered from just this snippet.

Bro. Keep your chin up. Chemistry is fucking hard, even if you have had formal training and job experience, which not many of us has had. I know very little, but have gained some practical experience that I like to share and help others where I can. Research, experiment, be safe, have fun and gain knowledge - these are what I try to do...

mobin

Wow. I see you've made some progress. You didn't have the sack to quote anything else I said about the matter. When you process cannabis for other people to use, you have moral resppnsibities to oblige. You lack the desire to learn, which is demonstrated by your continuing queries. If you were just a guy doing it for fun I'd help you, if you listened....id help you. But like I said before, and in the very beginning of my original post, I didnt wanna play school teacher for this very reason. Now there's a ton of dipshits like you chasing the same dollar and selling shit with who knows what in it. Maybe I'll check back next year to see if you're still trying to piss over your nuts. :tiphat:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lab Society has a filtering kit that includes citric acid.

A Complete Pesticide Removal Kit.

Pesticide Removal Kit. Get rid of unwanted particles.

Our new pesticide removal kit gives you everything you need to get rid of unwanted molecules. A lot of thought and care has gone into each component of this kit, and the result is a turn-key solution for getting rid of everything you don’t want in your final product.

Built from years of real-world lab testing.

We’ve put years of research into creating our separatory funnel and chromatography column, and now we’ve combined them with only tried-and-true products that are leading the charge in the industry.

Now, we believe we’ve created a complete solution for large-scale pesticide removal at a very affordable price.

With this kit, you can select your own stationary phase and mobile phase, to separate out exactly the compounds you’re looking for.

This Kit Includes:

Chromatography Column
Separatory Funnel
Cap Stopper
C-Bleach (500 g.)
Citric Acid (1 lb.)
Pure Baking Soda (1 lb.)
MagSil-PR (500 g.)
Silica Gel

Related parts, including clamps, tubing, and stands are also all included with this kit!

American-made glassware.

All of the glass pieces are custom-made borosilicate glass, designed and manufactured in the USA.

Information about the main components of this kit:

Chromatography Column

fritted disc, fine-meshed glass particle screen for a high flow rate while retaining solids
GL-18 fitting, for quick removal and fast sealing
PTFE stopcock for controlling flow rate
Rodaviss 45/50 top outer joint, for easy removal of glass-on-glass connections
3 inch diameter x 24 inch effective length
American-made borosilicate glass.

Separatory Funnel

GL-18 bottom connection, for quick removal and fast sealing
Rodaviss stopper, for easy removal of glass-on-glass joints
PTFE stopcock for controlling flow rate
6,000 ml. capacity
American-made borosilicate glass

Cap Stopper

2-Port inlet adapter, 45/50 Rodaviss inner joint
2 GL-18 inlet ports with 2 bent barbed fittings for GL-18 connections – One has a downstem, and the other is a side port with no downstem.
Rodaviss 45/50 stopper, for easy removal of glass on glass joints
Can be used for vacuum applications
American-made borosilicate glass

C-Bleach (500 g.)

adsorbs oils/greases
carrier for pesticides and fertilizers
great for clarifying, decolorizing, and numerous other pharmaceutical applications

Citric Acid (1 lb.)

lowers pH
used as a preservative in food and beverages
chelating agent

Pure Baking Soda (1 lb.)

raises pH
commonly used to buffer pH

MagSil-PR (500 g.)

removes pesticides
improves color
improves clarity
binds to polar water-soluble compounds

Silica Gel

made of Silicon Dioxide
desiccant
stationary phase in Chromatography

Note: You will need a filtration vacuum pump of some kind if you’re looking for a constant feed from the 2-port inlet adapter into your setup.

https://labsociety.com/lab-equipment/pesticide-removal-kit/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 11.37.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 11.37.07 AM.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Does this kit come with an SOP? I've already got a decent seperatory funnel and I think I've got a chromotography column somewhere too.