What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ErdPurt

-Rioht-

Hi -Rioht- Sorry if you already commented it, but are you growing clones of the plant that tried to flower indoors ?
Or the one that is flowering in June is a new one from seed ? If the clone was not in proper growing hormonal state indoors, and had some signs of flowering before move it outdoors then it's normal the ErdPurts continue to flower even during the longer days of June, some ErdPurt parental plants here at 37ºN are doing exactly that since a few weeks ago they were moved outdoors, but in our case was planned to pollinate them soon.

They were clones correct. I was hoping they would eventually reveg during the longer summer days.

Problem solved though. The recent heatwave across Canada killed my Erdpurt.

40°C+ sucks.

MallardDuck

They were clones correct. I was hoping they would eventually reveg during the longer summer days.

40°C+ sucks.

Yeah Im not sure some clones of Congo and Zacatecas Tribute that I took during the heat wave are going to make it. I should have waited. Lots of unhappy gardeners in Canada with the unprecedented heat. It was 47C in poor Litton, BC before the fire came.

Sorry to hear about your Erdpurts friend!

Hashishh

Hey Dubi, how easy is Erdpurt to start flowering due to being root bound? I've got some seedlings indoors under 20/4 in 1 gallon pots and would like to keep a few mothers. Should I just keep going up a size (1gal to 2 gal to 3 gal, etc)?
Or would I be fine to keep a mother going from the 1 gal straight to a 5 gal bucket for a couple months?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi -Rioht-, yes she behaved like that. I think i commented it previously, best way to keep in good veg these semiautoflowering ErdPurts (or other semi) indoors in a mother room for long term, it's to take as fast as possible clones of the less flowered branches once the copy starts to flower. Then replace the bigger copy that tries to flower with the new fresh clone. The clone will grow fine with 18/6 (although better use 20/4) unless it feels rootbound or a decrease in photoperiod. Once the flowering starts, it's very difficult EP plants will fully reveg, even outdoors during the longer days close to summer solstice, this is because the plant still has lots of flowering hormones.

Heard on the news a few days ago about the unprecedented terrible heat wave on West Canada ....truly unbelievable. If with the Global Warming Canada is going to have temps peaks like this then i don't want to think about the rest of places closer to equator and in not so high latitudes. Last Sunday we were around 40ºC here and yesterday afternoon we reached 43ºC, fortunately only a couple of days, but hell, it fried a few babies too.

40°C+ sucks.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Hashishh,

If you are starting them from seed it's a different story, they will grow fine in 5 gal buckets with 20/4 photoperiod. Better avoid transplants or any chance any plant can feel rootbound.

To keep EP mothers better take the clones before you flower them, when they are still in full growing mode, and follow my advice on previous post for long term preservation of ErdPurt parental plants in mother room, especially if some try to flower. And of course, the EP males are even more difficult to preserve than the females since they tend to flower even more than her femenine counterparts.

Hey Dubi, how easy is Erdpurt to start flowering due to being root bound? I've got some seedlings indoors under 20/4 in 1 gallon pots and would like to keep a few mothers. Should I just keep going up a size (1gal to 2 gal to 3 gal, etc)?
Or would I be fine to keep a mother going from the 1 gal straight to a 5 gal bucket for a couple months?

GrowingHigher

Hi GrowingHigher,

Theorganicguy is correct. The main most frequent ErdPurt chemotype is already an intermediate balanced THC:CBD chemotype, which is perfectly represented by green ErdPurt A parental plant (ErdPurt A lab results are posted on the strain description on our website) so there's no need to do much intentional work to find such balanced chemotypes, they are more the norm than the exception in this line. Green ErdPurt A is the ErdPurt parental plant we have used to produce all our ErdPurt fem hybrids up to date, although we are currently trying same type of EP hybrids with other ErdPurt parental plants too, it's always interesting to test as many combinations as possible to make sure the best combination has been identified (and of course, can later be replicated).

In the my comment of the last ErdPurt selection you quoted, we didn't bring the dozens of plants to analyze to the lab, but we did beam tests in a more raw and cheap way to check their chemotypes.
Just evaluating the traits of the pheno, the way it flowered, the resins, terpenes, and finally doing smoke tests and beam tests i have more than enough info to know whether a new parental plant could be interesting or not. Hope it helps with your doubts.

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I'm not doubting you. I am just curious why breeders choose certain schemes over others and how they balance competing goals. Since you are here, generously sharing information, I may as well prod a bit.

I understand the intent of maintaining diversity. But I (and you are not me so who the fuck cares what I would do with your breeding program) would separate out two populations of CBD dom and THC dom ErdPurt than use one as the mother, the other as the pollen parent.

A 1:1 will make ~50 % 1:1s. But that means someone can't crop (commercially at least) directly from that ErdPurt fem seed. Growers have to keep mothers and do chemotype hunts first. The hybrids will depend on the other parent, but will also segregate. I just think you may miss a market of people who grow from seed each season and don't have indoor grows at all. But there is a lot of work to do and one breeder can't do everything, so I understand that aspect as well.

Thanks again. Very interesting work. I wouldn't even know about this strain if not for you.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I love early these ladies are. They are giving off wonderful sweet hemp scents. Reminds me of some weed that I grew when I was a teen.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Sweet smelling!

PXL_20210729_165437119.jpg
PXL_20210729_165553524.jpg
PXL_20210729_165418434.jpg

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
These are PCK x Erdpurt crossed with Purple Satellite male in case you missed my earlier posts...

Attachments

• photo2060746.jpg
    photo2060746.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 59
  • photo2060747.jpg
    photo2060747.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 60

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi GrowingHigher, that's an intersting topic. So do you assume a plant with 1:1 THC:CBD chemotype will always segregate in other chemotypes so it's not possible to produce a stable true breeding line of 1:1 chemotype ? To be honest, i'm not sure of it, but my guess is that is highly possible since these balanced chemotypes are pretty consistent in CBD rich landraces like ErdPurt or Lebanese.

The only strain we have fully stabilized for a specific CBD rich chemotype is CBD #1, the other CBD rich lines we have breeding have not been stabilized towards one or other chemotype, since i find very important to save and preserve first all the different possible chemotypes before bottleneck a line like ErdPurt or Lebanese towards a specific one, of course it can be done, although we have not done it yet.

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I'm not doubting you. I am just curious why breeders choose certain schemes over others and how they balance competing goals. Since you are here, generously sharing information, I may as well prod a bit.

I understand the intent of maintaining diversity. But I (and you are not me so who the fuck cares what I would do with your breeding program) would separate out two populations of CBD dom and THC dom ErdPurt than use one as the mother, the other as the pollen parent.

A 1:1 will make ~50 % 1:1s. But that means someone can't crop (commercially at least) directly from that ErdPurt fem seed. Growers have to keep mothers and do chemotype hunts first. The hybrids will depend on the other parent, but will also segregate. I just think you may miss a market of people who grow from seed each season and don't have indoor grows at all. But there is a lot of work to do and one breeder can't do everything, so I understand that aspect as well.

Thanks again. Very interesting work. I wouldn't even know about this strain if not for you.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi TexasTea friend, a pleasure to follow the updates of your own (PCK/ErdPurt) x Purple Satellite cross, i like a lot what i'm seeing , wish i could smell them from here :)
Very early flowering onset, frosty and with enticing smells so far, very promising :trampoline:

Foggy420

Erdpurt reg, budding up nicely. Is this leaf color naturally purpling or is this a nutrient imbalance? The top looks good either way. I recently potted up
into some new soil so it should be a happy plant for the next few weeks.

Attachments

• photo2063980.jpg
    photo2063980.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 65
  • photo2063981.jpg
    photo2063981.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 65
  • photo2063982.jpg
    photo2063982.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 61

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Can't get over how early these are...they are filling the air around the garden with a sweet scent. A stem rub comes away with sticky fingers and a powerful perfume of sweet flowers, mint and a touch of citrus. They look like they are fast approaching ripening so I'm guessing maybe 3 or 4 weeks left at most.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210816_172947305.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	17919930
Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210816_172947305.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	17919930

RED 1

Erdpurt reg, budding up nicely. Is this leaf color naturally purpling or is this a nutrient imbalance? The top looks good either way. I recently potted up
into some new soil so it should be a happy plant for the next few weeks.

I would give iher extra phosphorus at this stage anyway
🙂

Hashishh

Hi Hashishh,

If you are starting them from seed it's a different story, they will grow fine in 5 gal buckets with 20/4 photoperiod. Better avoid transplants or any chance any plant can feel rootbound.

To keep EP mothers better take the clones before you flower them, when they are still in full growing mode, and follow my advice on previous post for long term preservation of ErdPurt parental plants in mother room, especially if some try to flower. And of course, the EP males are even more difficult to preserve than the females since they tend to flower even more than her femenine counterparts.

I just wanted to update and say I've been keeping 2 mom's in 5 gallon buckets with no issues whatsoever.
Haven't yet had a chance to flower her out yet, but should be starting a few clones in flower within the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm looking forward to trying them outdoors next year as we are starting to see frost already and I don't think my Bubba Kush will finish outdoors early enough.
​​​​​​