What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ipad or android?

I'm looking for a tablet and would like to hear opinions on the advantages to a apple ipad or an android tablet. I have no experience with either, but I am getting rid of my old notebook and am looking to upgrade. I just need it for internet browsing, music, email and things like that. tia

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
id choose the android.. apple limits everything you can do. You have to jailbreak it everytime they update the OS to get the good stuff....

i look at a android as a jail broken mac os lol... but im no android / iphone/pad junky... and could be missing the big picture but from what i see thats my take on it.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
worse thing about the ipad is the storage is all built in and the go for alot for the bigger giged ipads... with the androids they should have a storage disk for them which are cheap....

Do you have a preference for make and model? I've heard good things about the samsung. I have no experience so I'm open to suggestions.

HueJass

Samsung Galaxy Note looks real nice, but it's not quite a tablet in size I don't think. I recently picked up the Galaxy 3 phone and couldn't be happier with it. I think most of the Samsung products have expandable memory, which is a great feature to have.

MIway

Veteran
I've been eying one... Especially for the screen. No flash though. Can get it 4G + memory... Just the up charge is steep. Didn't get one, but would likely go android if any of the new ones have a comp screen...? It just seems you have more control with an Android....?

Samsung Galaxy Note looks real nice, but it's not quite a tablet in size I don't think. I recently picked up the Galaxy 3 phone and couldn't be happier with it. I think most of the Samsung products have expandable memory, which is a great feature to have.

Same deal over here! I have two things that just kill me... I can't leave rep comments anymore... And the auto center in these type fields makes editing (and even typing this response) a real pain in the ass, like typing blind. Have you found a fix or way around it?!? Please, please help... Lol

HueJass

Same deal over here! I have two things that just kill me... I can't leave rep comments anymore... And the auto center in these type fields makes editing (and even typing this response) a real pain in the ass, like typing blind. Have you found a fix or way around it?!? Please, please help... Lol

I had a flip phone for years and finally caved a month or so back cuz I saw the phone was getting great reviews and it was like an extra 10 bucks a month over what my wife and I were currently paying to add another line of data. I'm way happier with the thing than I thought I'd be honestly. Pretty big learning curve, but kinda fun too.

Yeah, there is definitely an issue with leaving rep comments. I can get the little box to come up, but that's about it. You can rate posts fine, though. And, regarding you second question, are you referring to when you are holding your phone horizontally/landscape? If so, I think I know what you are saying when the text box is so small that you can't see what you are typing - it happens when I am using Yahoo email. The only solution I have found is to hold the phone in the vertical, traditional position and then the text box expands.

I use an app called Swiftkey, although I didn't hate the Swipe keyboard that came stock on the phone, Swiftkey is awesome and only a few bucks in the app store. It learns the way you type over time.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I FUKIN HATE!!!!!!!!!! My I PAd and won't recommend ths shit to Neone.. I WANT MY OLD PC BACK....
Ok reasons the touch screen is very sensitive I'm heavy handed .... Spell check automatically changes my words to sumthin totality not related.... And what pisses me off most is how the wifi goes in and out no matter where I'm at.... I don't live in the sticks either.... Get the other one

DrFever

Veteran
i got me a new Android phone few months back and Just got to say I LOVE IT its pretty slick takes some getting used to but other then that its wicked

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I have an Ipad I use everyday for my business....

I own 2 Galaxy tabs for pleasure....

ITS NOT EVEN A FUCKING CLOSE CALL....

ANDROID ROCKS....

IPAD IS THE WORST PIECE OF SHIT IVE EVER USED AND IF I DOIDNT HAVE TO USE FOR WORK, ID TOSS THAT BITCH DOWN THE STREET....

S

SeaMaiden

I enjoy my ASUS Transformer Eee-Pad quite a bit, but it's having some issues at the moment. I think ASUS needs to get the Android OS updated, for one thing, because I'm pretty sure mine is still either Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich.

I got it when I had my ACL replaced last year, needed something so I could get online and pay bills, get emails, and entertain myself. So I d/l'd the Kindle app and this is where my warning comes in--WATCH OUT. It's really easy to spend more money than you anticipated by buying e-books. In the first month alone I read 12 books, and one of them, Pillars of the Earth, is almost 1,000 pages!

T

toughmudderdave

I just checked darlin...Jelly Bean is now available for the Asus. I'll do that today. :)
I enjoy my ASUS Transformer Eee-Pad quite a bit, but it's having some issues at the moment. I think ASUS needs to get the Android OS updated, for one thing, because I'm pretty sure mine is still either Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich.

I got it when I had my ACL replaced last year, needed something so I could get online and pay bills, get emails, and entertain myself. So I d/l'd the Kindle app and this is where my warning comes in--WATCH OUT. It's really easy to spend more money than you anticipated by buying e-books. In the first month alone I read 12 books, and one of them, Pillars of the Earth, is almost 1,000 pages!

T

toughmudderdave

For the record, I work in IT and have looked at a lot of platforms. The Asus Transformer is a very nice tablet...Lots of features, very well built, good overall design.

vta

Veteran
I just got the Motorola XYBoard 10.1. I read all the reviews and we also had ran a demo on the ipad and samsung. The XYBoard blew them all away! Fast, water resistant, removable storage, fantastic display and super durable. We got the Verizon 4G version.

vta

Veteran
I might add that I just got 20 Samsung Slate laptops for a client. Win7 64b, solid state hdd, etc.. So if you want more features...check em out. With their bad ass dock, we are talking $1500 or so...so more than a tab but much better.