What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's the story behind the strain Pollyanna???

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
from the person who gave me the seeds, (Robert Connel Clarke). They were in a small tube saying Mex 76 p.s. exel.
So the genetics are over 40 years old.

Interesting, only there was no good male to be found between those seeds? Have you this Mexican tested for the Cannabinoid profile & terpenes?

The BOEL brought Lebanese genetics to Mexico during the 60s.Some who grew the Primera Dama said the effect was quite mellow compared to other Mexican varieties.I wonder if it contains any CBD in it.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I knew that they had brought the Lebanese genetics to Colombia ...
However, at the time the varieties of Lebanon were much more nld than today's...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
What i read that Afghani genetics were brought to the region of Santa Marta in the early 30s.Ngakpa from RSC wrote once that in the past a lot of Lebanese people emigrated to Brasil, probably also then to Colombia.

W

Water-

Santa Marta and the Caribbean region of Colombia has a very large community of people of Lebanese descent.
Not as large as Brazil but still a few million people.

They migrated at the end of the Ottoman Empire which controlled the area of present day Lebanon to South America

the singer Shakira is a Lebanese Colombian

Raho

Veteran
from the person who gave me the seeds, (Robert Connel Clarke). They were in a small tube saying Mex 76 p.s. exel.
So the genetics are over 40 years old.

Hi Mobi,
Are you part of Original Delicatessen Seeds?
So nice to meet you!
Everything I have seen and read about [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]rimera Dama (pics and descriptions of a good friends grow) sounds almost exactly like my experience with Early Pearl (and I mean that in a good way.)

To my eye, the appearance of First Lady suggests it could easily have a splash of afghan in it.

[/FONT]Can you tell us more about how you found yourself with a tube of 40 year old seeds from RCC and what you did with them to create First Lady?

Thank you.

G

Interesting thread.

I have read that wide leafs are not necessarily proof of "indica" genes rather than a result of domestication.

I have grown First Lady ,alas not in best conditions so probably not full potencial.It is very lemony like most mexicans I've tried.Effect was energising ,not very strong though .It seemed to dominate the Her majesty ,too(Her majesty is Queen Mother x First Lady).I preffered Queen Mother most of all but it's a matter of taste .Some people prefer more mellow effects.I gotta say I didn't get body stone from it.

Raho

Veteran
Interesting thread.

I have read that wide leafs are not necessarily proof of "indica" genes rather than a result of domestication.

I have grown First Lady ,alas not in best conditions so probably not full potencial.It is very lemony like most mexicans I've tried.Effect was energising ,not very strong though .It seemed to dominate the Her majesty ,too(Her majesty is Queen Mother x First Lady).I preffered Queen Mother most of all but it's a matter of taste .Some people prefer more mellow effects.I gotta say I didn't get body stone from it.
Agree, wide leaves are not necessarily a sign of indica genetics. Of course I didn't say that anyway.
I grew mexican and panama red in 81 and both had wide leaves.

Here's the Panama:
picture.php

Before indica arrived in the US, Mexican lines were preferred for home growers because they finished faster than colombians. They were bred for years to isolate fast finishing, taste and effect.

When the first afghans started to hit the scene, the first thing people did is cross them with their fastest (best) sativas.
These kind of first generation crosses produced amazing terps and effects with real hybrid vigor the likes of which most growers today have never seen. I believe these crosses are at the core of "skunk."

Early Pearl is a great example of what those early hybrids were like. Most people growing and smoking it today would believe it to be a "pure" sativa.
The EP that made it to europe has not been well preserved over the years. One or 2 bad parent selections can be all it takes to lose the kind of rare magic that heirloom lines like these contain. Most current reports of EP from Sensi and other sources report weak potency and almost no mention of terps.

My friends grow of First Lady sounded exactly like the old cut of EP another friend of mine had preserved (but recently lost.) Taste, effect, growth, the whole thing. The pics also looked like cousins or sisters.
Rob Clark is the creator of EP, making the cross between the two popular hybrids he had collected from NorCal farmers (early girl and pollyanna) before sending the seeds across the pond to europe.
I find it more than a coincidence that he is the source of another line that is so similar.
In mind, it is almost certain that they are related.
If first lady has a single old afghan parent from the 70's in it's complex pedigree, nobody should think any less of it. I am GLAD about it. Those old afghans are almost all gone now. People today can't imagine a world where everything with wide leaves wasn't an NL offspring at some point. The variety of indica was infinite back then, and it was great. Today we imagine the pedigree of all lines as being built from strains whose name we know from seed catalogs. :-(
The afghan in EP was never in ANY catalog, I promise you.

I have read enough reports of people saying afghan genetics were introduced directly into Mexico in the 70s anyway, so who's to say what "pure Mexican" is?

If you are lucky enough to grow some First Lady, savor the smoke and imagine yourself in the hills of Northern California in 1980.
That taste and effect was in every valley back then.

Find a keeper, save the cutting and S1 it too, because if you pick a bad male, there's a good chance the offspring will diverge and you might never grow enough numbers to hit the jackpot again.

Love to hear more about the breeding of First Lady by Real Delicatessen.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Agree, wide leaves are not necessarily a sign of indica genetics. Of course I didn't say that anyway.
I grew mexican and panama red in 81 and both had wide leaves.

Here's the Panama:
View Image

Before indica arrived in the US, Mexican lines were preferred for home growers because they finished faster than colombians. They were bred for years to isolate fast finishing, taste and effect.

When the first afghans started to hit the scene, the first thing people did is cross them with their fastest (best) sativas.
These kind of first generation crosses produced amazing terps and effects with real hybrid vigor the likes of which most growers today have never seen. I believe these crosses are at the core of "skunk."

Early Pearl is a great example of what those early hybrids were like. Most people growing and smoking it today would believe it to be a "pure" sativa.
The EP that made it to europe has not been well preserved over the years. One or 2 bad parent selections can be all it takes to lose the kind of rare magic that heirloom lines like these contain. Most current reports of EP from Sensi and other sources report weak potency and almost no mention of terps.

My friends grow of First Lady sounded exactly like the old cut of EP another friend of mine had preserved (but recently lost.) Taste, effect, growth, the whole thing. The pics also looked like cousins or sisters.
Rob Clark is the creator of EP, making the cross between the two popular hybrids he had collected from NorCal farmers (early girl and pollyanna) before sending the seeds across the pond to europe.
I find it more than a coincidence that he is the source of another line that is so similar.
In mind, it is almost certain that they are related.
If first lady has a single old afghan parent from the 70's in it's complex pedigree, nobody should think any less of it. I am GLAD about it. Those old afghans are almost all gone now. People today can't imagine a world where everything with wide leaves wasn't an NL offspring at some point. The variety of indica was infinite back then, and it was great. Today we imagine the pedigree of all lines as being built from strains whose name we know from seed catalogs. :-(
The afghan in EP was never in ANY catalog, I promise you.

I have read enough reports of people saying afghan genetics were introduced directly into Mexico in the 70s anyway, so who's to say what "pure Mexican" is?

If you are lucky enough to grow some First Lady, savor the smoke and imagine yourself in the hills of Northern California in 1980.
That taste and effect was in every valley back then.

Find a keeper, save the cutting and S1 it too, because if you pick a bad male, there's a good chance the offspring will diverge and you might never grow enough numbers to hit the jackpot again.

Love to hear more about the breeding of First Lady by Real Delicatessen.

I have enjoyed every word of your speech, raho, maximum respect... There is also the regular version of primera dama/first Lady?

W

Water-

Interesting thread.

When you say that leaf width is the result of domestication.
Do you mean selection?

Do you know where I can find any scientific documentation of this?

Im interested because it dosnt explain why most tropical plants have narrow leaves.

thanks

G

When you say that leaf width is the result of domestication.
Do you mean selection?

Do you know where I can find any scientific documentation of this?

Im interested because it dosnt explain why most tropical plants have narrow leaves.

thanks

I don't remember exactly to tell you the truth.This one though https://prizedwriting.ucdavis.edu/sites/prizedwriting.ucdavis.edu/files/users/snielson/102ananalysisofcannabis.pdf (to display erase the "s" in https) is interesting and probably relative.It says that the size of seeds(achenes) is larger in domesticated (I believe it means selected and inbred) plants.Isn't it the consencus on indica vs sativa seed size,too? Sorry if I can't be more helpful.

I've seen many afghanis with narrow leaves,too!

Spliff seeds Fastbud is an Early Pearl x a mystery Mexican/California sativa. Very reminiscent of the original Early Pearl imo. Moderate/strong 8/10 with that great Mexican grinning, spiritual high, peppery taste. Not too fast though...11-12+ weeks

troutman

Seed Whore
Spliff seeds Fastbud is an Early Pearl x a mystery Mexican/California sativa. Very reminiscent of the original Early Pearl imo. Moderate/strong 8/10 with that great Mexican grinning, spiritual high, peppery taste. Not too fast though...11-12+ weeks

Too bad they only have feminized seeds. :moon:

archaicatoms

I thought this strain was early queen by Mr nice knocked off. Maybe I was wrong??

Raho

Veteran
I thought this strain was early queen by Mr nice knocked off. Maybe I was wrong??

I've got a pack of EQ waiting their turn at a run.
May be a while . . . most people report the MNS EP crosses don't rate very high on potency.
I suspect the effects may be a bit subtle for most people in these days where anything less that 20% cannabinoids doesn't get a second look. Hoping I can pull a great pheno when I finally do get around to it.

troutman

Seed Whore
most people report the MNS EP crosses don't rate very high on potency.

I think a lot of people today are spoiled with high potency plants.

To me old strains, like Early Pearl are valuable breeding stock for creating outdoor hybrids where modern elites fail.

i.e. Elites are useless if they get full of mold outdoors.

Raho

Veteran
I think a lot of people today are spoiled with high potency plants.

To me old strains, like Early Pearl are valuable breeding stock for creating outdoor hybrids where modern elites fail.

i.e. Elites are useless if they get full of mold outdoors.

Definite time capsule.
Those sativa effects were magical.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
most people report the MNS EP crosses don't rate very high on potency.
I suspect the effects may be a bit subtle for most people in these days where anything less that 20% cannabinoids doesn't get a second look.
I dont wanna go off topic, but some people are so used to the heavy effect of hashish and modern indica, that they define my nl x haze "light" , and then become white and upset after many laughs, or paranoid...

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I'm sorry if I bring this tread slightly off topic, but I was wondering how it's early Pearl nowadays,If it has become totally trash or if with a strict selection i can do something ...
For several days I've been thinking about this thread, and these strains ....well unfortunately strains like pollyanna or big sur / zacatecas purple have gone, but i have primera dama, and(Although it does not make me very happy to buy seeds from them) could i take early Pearl from sensi, or also Haley comet from tfd(or its simply early skunk with another name?) or s. a. g. e...
Maybe I travel too much with my imagination, but I would like to taste the nuances of those years ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts