What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plug n play flip flop detailed DYI

full time daddy
Veteran
parts list
4 x 4 x 4 power box $8.49 (home depot)

ballast lamp cord set $19.99 ( any hydro store )

female ballast plug $5.99 ( any hydro store ) x2

indoor digital wall switch $19.99 ( online ){any timer can be used the reason i used this one is im setting it up to run multi unit's on 1 timer

Heyco Straight-Thru Strain Relief Bushings make sure you get "for Round Cables" & you get the one made for YOUR project they make 100's of relief's with 100's of combo's thinkness of wire what type of wire along with thinkness of project box ect.... i ordered 3 time's to get the one's i needed

you need 3 for sjo 16/3 & 1 for sjt 18/3 (computer power cord)

1 NTE relay R04−11A30−120

1 computer power cord end cut off $free :)
6 blue ring terms
2 red ring terms

tool's needed
plyer DON'T WORK for the Strain Relief you need the Assembly Tool http://www.heyco.com/products/sec_03/3-25.html
drill with 3/4" bit or mounting hole punche http://www.heyco.com/products/sec_03/3-24.html
screwdriver
wire cutters
wire strippers
crimpers

:joint:

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
step 1
drill 3 hole's 3/4" one on each side make sure you drill them above the relay all so why your at it in the middle of the bottem of this box theres a bump drill that flat as well or the relay dont set right..... this was the test box so one female plug was put in place to make sure every thing was OK... the 4th hole i drilled at 3/4" but i think that its to big im still waiting on the last strain relief the one i ordered was wrong

step 2
remove all screw's from relay and set in project box
if you look at the relay theres 4 set's of screw's the way the relay is facing in the pic the top is lamp 1 , the next set down is lamp 2 the 3rd set is 120volt coli, & 4th is ballast input.....
you want your lamp 1 & 2 female plugs coming in from the sides as the pic show's if you put them any where else it is a pain in the ass to wire

step 3
crimp all ring term's the blue ones is for the female plug's and the ballast cord

step 4
add the ballast cord & the 120volt coli wire's
the ballast cord should be put in on the side that its hooked up on the power cord will be added on top

step 5
brake out that screw driver again and go to town.......
all the white wires go on one side and all the black's go on the other just make sure you do one item at a time ie lamp 1 do your white then black then move to lamp 2 add both wire's then to your power cord (120volt coli) and last the ballast load..... after all the white/blacks wire's are screwed down your left with 4 green wires...... you can do a 2 things here
1. wire nut and black tape
2. buy a ground bar and screw it in the box
im going to pick #2 i just have not went to home depot to pick it up all add pic of that asap...

step 6 holding down the relay..... i have not yet got this far i was thinking of glue as i dont want screw's hanging out the bottem... again i will post this once its done....

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
i have burned contact points on the relays used so for now on i shut the power down to my ballast befor i flip the load here is my timer settings

flip flop on/off timer settings
11:58 ballast off
11:59 flop switch (timer "on")
12:00 ballast on
23:58 ballast off
23:59 flop switch (timer "off")
24:00 ballast on

Last edited:
J

JamesChong

Hey 00420,

Nice to see you posting those cool threads of yours. Looking forward to the cool info and pictures. I hope your not working to hard. I know you might not want to hear me ask you this, but are you going to update the DIY Coli thread anytime soon?

Thanks for the cool threads.
Take care,
BG

full time daddy
Veteran
JamesChong said:
Hey 00420,

Nice to see you posting those cool threads of yours. Looking forward to the cool info and pictures. I hope your not working to hard. I know you might not want to hear me ask you this, but are you going to update the DIY Coli thread anytime soon?

Thanks for the cool threads.
Take care,
BG

thx BG i dont mind any ? asked hehe... yes i will get to that hopefully it will be soon it was kinda put on the back burner for the time being it's OD season here in nocal :)

J

JamesChong

00420 said:
thx BG i dont mind any ? asked hehe... yes i will get to that hopefully it will be soon it was kinda put on the back burner for the time being it's OD season here in nocal :)

No worries, just loved watching that thread. Man, your knocking this unit out pretty fast. I'm thinking about doing something along these lines. Something to split up about 3600 watts. Thanks for sharing your info and time with us. Good luck with the OD crop. I know you'll be very busy with it.
Take care,
BG

full time daddy
Veteran
JamesChong said:
No worries, just loved watching that thread. Man, your knocking this unit out pretty fast. I'm thinking about doing something along these lines. Something to split up about 3600 watts. Thanks for sharing your info and time with us. Good luck with the OD crop. I know you'll be very busy with it.
Take care,
BG

i have played with flip flops for about 3 yr's now the first one's worked fine but i hated cutting or rewiring my hood's most the one's i built up tell now where 4-8-12 lights but once i thought about using the female ballast plugs and other things that come into play...(like ballast to hood max of 30 feet...) i thought wow if i add a 15 foot cord set to the flip flop then a 2nd cord set from hood to flop we are at are max & also this could be over looked if just wiring it from scratch why not keep it to manufacture spec wire's and make it plug n play to ballast/hood when i cut the end off the cord set to the flop i chop'd off about a foot to make up for whats in the flop it self.... and when there wired as one unit it is much less confusing on set up of the room all the units can still be ran off 1 timer this can easyly be done with sunsys cord's as well. it cost just about $10 more a unit for singles but in my eye's is worth every penny when it come's to setting up 4+ a 4 light unit is not bad but once you get over that its a pain in da rear.....

im pretty much done with this other then waiting on the tool to set the strain reliefs plyer's just dont work man let me tell you hahaha it took damn near 3 hr's to get that one in and when it went it's not setting right cuz i bent the shit out of the side i even tryed a 2nd one and gave up after about 2 hr's...
i will pick up the grounding bar today and glue the relay down other then that i will go over the thread and add as much detail as i can and a nice wiregram
:jump:

Olyver

Flip internal heat

Flip internal heat

The relay used for a flip gets very warm, about 40 to 50 degrees Celcius (110 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit). The relay gets warm when the coil is energized for the 12 hour on cycle. I suggest drilling some small vent holes in the top and bottom to allow air flow. Flips with several relays will get very warm, an internal fan should be installed if you're going to install 4 or more relays.

Olyver

Olyver

DB2004 posts blocked

DB2004 posts blocked

If you can't see any posts from DB2004, it's because of a couple cry babies here. If you want, you can post messages to be for him.

Olyver

J

JamesChong

Olyver said:
If you can't see any posts from DB2004, it's because of a couple cry babies here. If you want, you can post messages to be for him.

Olyver

I've PM'ed him twice with no response. I'm guessing he got in trouble for something. I'd like his e-mail address. Since I can't find it here. I bought a big custom unit from him awhile back and need to know what gauge wire to feed the unit.

Plus, I'd like to be able to stay in contact with him. He builds some very nice units. For those of us that don't know what we are doing or are a little worried about doing it right.
Thanks,
BG

Sorry for the HiJack 00420. The man builds some sweet units.
2918GDW_3.JPG

2918GDW_1.JPG

full time daddy
Veteran
JamesChong said:
I've PM'ed him twice with no response. I'm guessing he got in trouble for something. I'd like his e-mail address. Since I can't find it here. I bought a big custom unit from him awhile back and need to know what gauge wire to feed the unit.

Plus, I'd like to be able to stay in contact with him. He builds some very nice units. For those of us that don't know what we are doing or are a little worried about doing it right.
Thanks,
BG

Sorry for the HiJack 00420. The man builds some sweet units.

no worrys bg..... you have a 125 main on that.. 125 amp = 1/0 wire

but really it all comes down to what you put on it... if i remember right when einstein guy built that for you it was ment for 600's he all so made it to shut down the ballast befor the flop then turn back on after the flip, the prob with the unit that i can't seem to fig out from looking at a pic is theres 8 120's & 12 240's and there all hooked to the main? how is that able to flip/flop....
what plug's are for what? if what Olyver says is tru ( witch it is ) why did he not put fans on your's :dueling:

olyver i dont need to talk to him i have a plan for the heat it just has not come into play yet i might even switch over to 12v coli's so theres less heat and i could run PC fan's on the unit from the same plug this is a prototype and im just logging what im doing so i can look back on it later

db2004 is a very smart person i dont agree with somethings but none the less he dose build nice units that anyone with a lil time can do......

full time daddy
Veteran
Olyver said:

Olyver

just tell us your db2004 why dont you & for us that know einstein guy built that unit for BG then later post it on his (db2004) website on the main page :bashhead:

Last edited:
J

JamesChong

Well, if einstein built this unit and not DB. This is the second unit I've got from him. Great guy for sure.

This new unit isn't a flip flop. The panel is split in half. The time on the left controls the left side and the timer on the right, controls the right side. The 120's are for fans, pumps, etc and are on all the time. Only the 240 outlets are hooked up to the timers.

No, i've got to figure out how to use it. lolol. Since my location is a little bit to small for a generator and the people next door. Might know something is up. Me running a big desel generator 24/7. lolol

Thanks for the info 00420. Love the thread. Lots of input and ideas floating around. Glad everyone is staying cool.
Later,
BG

D

DEDHEDFRED

Hey BG..............DB`s at info@nowirenuts.ca.......He was a lil too rich for my blood when I asked for price quotes but he definitely knows his shit and puts out some topknotch equipment.....I`m just a tight ass and would rather do it myself if I can...........00420.......Thanks for all you do.....Hook a Brotha up........I`ve got an odd setup where I run 3-600`s in my flip rooms.........Is there a way ta make a relay that`ll do 3 ballasts and 6 lights........I do it the old school way with each light on a dedicated 20 amp circuit plugged into a timer and the settings are couple minutes apart on lights on and lights off ......I use Lumatek and Lumenace ballasts and saw where Digi`s haveta turn off before turning back on or is this correct........Anyways.........I`d liketa be able to build a box for each location that everything will disconnect from , move to a new location , and re-connect to if that`s possible......Lil help please......Electrical`s not my strong suit............Thanx again...........DHF.......... :joint: ..........

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
JamesChong said:
Well, if einstein built this unit and not DB. This is the second unit I've got from him. Great guy for sure.

This new unit isn't a flip flop. The panel is split in half. The time on the left controls the left side and the timer on the right, controls the right side. The 120's are for fans, pumps, etc and are on all the time. Only the 240 outlets are hooked up to the timers.

No, i've got to figure out how to use it. lolol. Since my location is a little bit to small for a generator and the people next door. Might know something is up. Me running a big desel generator 24/7. lolol

Thanks for the info 00420. Love the thread. Lots of input and ideas floating around. Glad everyone is staying cool.
Later,
BG

my bad then if it's not the flip flop EG made for you i thought it was and answer's most my ?'s about it... hahha

sry to mix EG n DB up like that

so BG yeh man 125 amp is for 1/0 wire with 12 1k's running you would be at 60% load and leave you 40% for a/c,dehu's pump's fan's ect on your 120 lines..... if you ran 24 600's ( 2 each plug ) it would put u up to 75% leaven you 25% for the 120 line's

either way that unit is for a shit load of light's..... :) & that is including the 80% max you wanna stay under

he should have added 2 240 20amp's nontimered on the bottem for you for a/c plug's

J

JamesChong

00420 said:
my bad then if it's not the flip flop EG made for you i thought it was and answer's most my ?'s about it... hahha

sry to mix EG n DB up like that

so BG yeh man 125 amp is for 1/0 wire with 12 1k's running you would be at 60% load and leave you 40% for a/c,dehu's pump's fan's ect on your 120 lines..... if you ran 24 600's ( 2 each plug ) it would put u up to 75% leaven you 25% for the 120 line's

either way that unit is for a shit load of light's..... :) & that is including the 80% max you wanna stay under

he should have added 2 240 20amp's nontimered on the bottem for you for a/c plug's

Thanks 00420,

It was built for my 12K Diesel Generator I have. I won't be able to set it up at this house, but will later on down the road. It will handle what I need for me seed crops and other goodies, ;)

I personally don't run 1000watter's. I love the 600HPS lights and stick with those. 1/0 wire? The generator says to run 4/0 to the panel of a house. Guess I need to have someone look at both units before I set them up, but that is done the road.

Thanks again for all the help. Take care and don't work to hard.
Later,
BG

full time daddy
Veteran
DEDHEDFRED said:
Hey BG..............DB`s at info@nowirenuts.ca.......He was a lil too rich for my blood when I asked for price quotes but he definitely knows his shit and puts out some topknotch equipment.....I`m just a tight ass and would rather do it myself if I can...........00420.......Thanks for all you do.....Hook a Brotha up........I`ve got an odd setup where I run 3-600`s in my flip rooms.........Is there a way ta make a relay that`ll do 3 ballasts and 6 lights........I do it the old school way with each light on a dedicated 20 amp circuit plugged into a timer and the settings are couple minutes apart on lights on and lights off ......I use Lumatek and Lumenace ballasts and saw where Digi`s haveta turn off before turning back on or is this correct........Anyways.........I`d liketa be able to build a box for each location that everything will disconnect from , move to a new location , and re-connect to if that`s possible......Lil help please......Electrical`s not my strong suit............Thanx again...........DHF.......... :joint: ..........

cooking brake'fast giv me a min to eat...

Thanks 00420, It was built for my 12K Diesel Generator I have. I won't be able to set it up at this house, but will later on down the road. It will handle what I need for me seed crops and other goodies, ;)

I personally don't run 1000watter's. I love the 600HPS lights and stick with those. 1/0 wire? The generator says to run 4/0 to the panel of a house. Guess I need to have someone look at both units before I set them up, but that is done the road.

Thanks again for all the help. Take care and don't work to hard.
Later,
BG

run a 200 amp main from gen with 0/4
then run 1/0 off that main to the unit u posted

Last edited:

Olyver

00420 said:
just tell us your db2004 why dont you & for us that know einstein guy built that unit for BG then later post it on his (db2004) website on the main page :bashhead:

I am DB2004, Olyver is my dog's name.....lol. That unit from JC was built by me, not Einstein. I have internal pics of that loadcenter as well.

Best Regards

Olyver (aka DB2004)