What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can anyone suggest a UV-B light?

Looking for a medium base UV-B light, but a google search came up with so many different products. Some are CFLs that say "10%" UV-B, but I'm wondering if there is something better, I'm just looking for 1-2 bulbs of the most potent UV-B I can get, less heat is better.

I'd go LED bulb, but I'm not sure if these emit UV-B or not.

afghanica

I use Repti-Glo 10.0, 26W CFL's

The 10.0 models have the most UVB of any of the reptile UVB lights. I run a pair of these just under my 400W HPS.

so the 10% UVB reptile lights are the best?

Might pick two of these up.

I'm wanting to grab a few LED lamps as well, the SMT ones look good, maybe a mix of red/blue, they are 42 LEDs I think. They have them on ebay for $50 each, not sure if I can grab them for any less than that.

guess you didn't like or watch the link i posted. oh well. i hope someone watches it and learns something. i know the dude's stoned talking gibberish but he says which uv-b is needed(wavelength) to get the thc production maxed out. he's a pretty fart smeller. smart feller.

good luck.
look at the possible spectrum options for hid lights and how they differ. now look at the small range of output in every bulb on the market. see how big the range is in the UV portion? if you don't have the correct wavelength, ie. MH for veg and HPS for flower, the only thing you'll be doing is creating heat.

spectrum.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent thread, I have seen the video and have watched IT.

If you look at PAR values, you will also see the missing colors not present in the HPS spectrum.

So look like we could benefit in many ways with the additional light (if all other factors are in place, AIR - NUTRIENTS - WATER - HUMIDITY -TEMPS)

Once finances allow I want to add uvb lighting.

stke_fingas thanks for sharing. I had this pegged but did not yet have time to respond.

In the future, I hope to be able to provide some good data combined with thc% testing.

Basically, Been running the same strain same room for a while, can see if the thc % improves with uvb.

peace

-YuKINO

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran

this is the opne you want.
you may even want to get the 'desert' light, there T8 floros fuck the CFL's there worthless.
be prepared to drop a few dollars my bulb was 35$ for a 4 ft. at petsmart.

plants seam to enjoy it
dont give them more then 6-8 hours of the uvb...

DIGITAL HIPPY

Thanks for sharing!!!

I knew it was gonna cost me some $$.

Few questions for ya if you dont mind sharing.

did you later add uvb and notice a difference?

Do you think one is enough?

I was thinking of using 3 - single 4' footers.

one in the center like you and then one on each side of the canopy

Overkill?? What do you think?

Thanks

pHaroaH

stke_fingas said:
more than you want to know about thc & uv-b.

Thanks for the link. Great information. You also got me hooked, and I spent hours watching all kinds of different stuff! :biglaugh:

P.S. A lot of good UVB light info can be found here.

Last edited:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
yukino_asano said:
DIGITAL HIPPY

Thanks for sharing!!!

I knew it was gonna cost me some $$.

Few questions for ya if you dont mind sharing.

did you later add uvb and notice a difference?

Do you think one is enough?

I was thinking of using 3 - single 4' footers.

one in the center like you and then one on each side of the canopy

Overkill?? What do you think?

Thanks

go with one in the middle. if u really have extra cash u can get two... its more a matter of how big your cannopy is(more after this Q's answer).

1love1earth said:
what makes the CFLs worthless?

actualy i was too hasty with my reply. if u have a 3x3 or 4x4 garden, hell even 5x5 i think a CFL will HELP. the problem is the uvb light dosent travel as far (if i remember physics correctly) so the strip T's get better coverage.

i feel my herb is more apt to mature golden/amber trichs in less time and or higher percentage with the UVB[then with hps/mh]. i noticed its a tad stronger w/uvb and it might shave off a few days of growth. atleast it makes the room more realistic, as outdoors has UVB. i run my uvb for 6 hours in the middle of the day... just to mimmic the natural 12 hour day with more uvb in the middle. i feel u can go the whole 12h if u want.

CMH bulbs produce more UVB and CMH growers say there harvests are more potent then hps/mh grows.

IMPORTANT
UVB can cause damage to the retinas in your eyes and you idealy should have a switch OUTSIDE the grow to turn the UVB off before u walk in..or close range within enterance.

if you look at the light [at all]you might see spots/lines/blurry spots of vision.
DONT WORK IN A ROOM WITH UVB ON!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Ive been loking into this after watching the youtube vid with marijuana man...And after looking oin a couple of pet websites those reptti-glo tubes were what i thought about getting too...glad im lookng at the right stuff.
Any idea on how much uv wattage I should add to my 600watt Grolux garden??
It seems fairly obvious that if its missing from our growlights then it would be beneficial to add it....I also like the possibility of it killing bugs 'n' bacteria....
Ikon(a UK indoor garening distributor) have just brought out some uv stuff...Ill try to get a link....

Here's another great link for anyone who's interested.....this site has actually tested all of the uv bulbs on the market

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

Like Digi mentioned UV output drops off significantly the futher you move away from the bulb. If you plan to use a floro tube, try to add a small reflector, tests show it nearly doubles the uv output

H$T$

So would a standard VHO 100w tanning bulb add some UVB to my garden?
I have access to a SHITTON of brand new tanning bulbs and used ballasts, Hell I have 2 whole tanning beds !
Has ne1 seen the comments about using an unshielded Halogen to provide UV?

Yup a tanning bulb will definately add a ton of UVB......if you've got access to them i'd say got for it!!! Halogen lamps run dangerously hot plus I don't think they're quite as efficent as specialty uv bulbs I wouldn't risk it

Latest posts

Latest posts