What's new

The absolute best source for LED lights? Ebay?

Elephunk

Those UV-B LEDs are expensive. I had wanted to make a few supplemental light strips with alternating UV-B and Blue LEDs. They would've been great except the UV-B LEDs cost around $50+ per LED. They're the most or one of the most expensive types on the market right now. But if you have the green to do it then it would definitely be sweet.

G

hmm, 15w per sq ft eh? well, my space is 88cm x 45cm, which is 0.4 sq metres. Quick google conversion and it gives me 4.3 sq ft.

4.3 x 15w = 64.5w.

So I reckon I need 60w of red light, then the rest will be made up by blue, UV-B and a lil bit of green. I'll do some shopping around to see how much that is gonna cost me. I looks like a pretty packet. I bet one of those procyon 100s would absolutely kick ass in my little space. 6 of those 49.95 175 LED bulbs with red, blue, UV and green LEDs would also kick ass I reckon, 66w for 350 bucks inc shipping for six of those. Hmm, be a while before I have 350 bucks to spend, but I'm liking the sounds of this now, I can see what I need finally, I've looked at just about every LED grow thread and it's so confusing. Thanks stealth for helping me work out the little details - it's all in the details!!!

The other option is to build my own custom array, and I'm contemplating it, simple enough but it's a hell of a lot of soldering. I could build a 65w version of the procyon using cree xr-e LEDs for a lot less, or I could use a load of 10mm ultrabrite LEDs.

I'm going to SCROG my plants when I use LEDs, just go for two clones and SCROG them, the problem with this being that I would need blue LEDs to veg the plants to fill the screen before flowering with red LEDs, which doubles the cost. LEDs will only grow small ubds, not donkey dicks as someone commented, so I reckon the only way to get a really good yield is to SCROG, then you have loads and loads of small buds, which should suit LEDs perfectly.

My problem is I need LED lighting now for the energy savings and stealth but the technology hasn't preached the price/ferformance point to make it afforable. I notice they are making LED floodlights that are similar to the procyon in that they are a grid of high power LEDs, they are available in red. If these were cheaper, they would be very attractive, I imagine in a year or two these LED floodlights will be much cheaper and growers will be using them:

http://www.advanced-led.com/products/stingray.asp

As for UV LEDs, they aren't that expensive, here is a 16 LED one for under 12 bucks, it's 1.6w I think:

http://www.kitkave.co.uk/shop/lighting/lamps/par_lamp/general_lighting/item/2758/?affid=froogle

I realize that lettuce doesn't grow buds or big fruit, but I'm more speaking of the lack of definative information on this forum as to yields.

Regardless, I'm tempted to pick up a unit anyways. $6 per watt isn't too terrible.

I wonder how much a shop would charge to do the soldering for you, and how much the cree's + parts would run, considering we aren't talking wholesale quantities.

G

Although I have 4.3 sq ft of space, i can't fit 4 1ft sq panels in there to give me the 60 watts of FED light I need, so I'm thinking my best option is going to be to build my own custom light panel.

Looking on ebay, 10mm ultrabrite LEDs are really cheap, I can get 200 for 60 bucks and they are a whopping 70,000mcd each!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200-PCS-Mega-...0903314QQihZ012QQcategoryZ66954QQcmdZViewItem

What do folks think, are these a good choice to build an LED panel? I'm thinking 200 of these red ones and 50 of these 10mm blues 70000mcd ones for 15 bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-PCS-Mega-B...0883346QQihZ012QQcategoryZ66954QQcmdZViewItem

Add in 20 green 80000mcd ones:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-PCS-Mega-B...6200482QQihZ011QQcategoryZ66954QQcmdZViewItem

That would be about 100 bucks and would give me a whopping 14,000,000mcd of red, 3,500,000mcd of blue and 1,600,000mcd of green!

That's a total of 19.1 MILLION millicandelas, surely that would be ample for 4 sq ft? They come with free resistors, so what else would I need - circuit boards, 12V power supply and a soldering iron? Would I need LED drivers?

They also sell 130,000mcd blue 10mm LEDs, they are twice the price of the 70,000mcd ones but you can get 50 pre-wired (no soldering!) for 25 bucks. I'm thinking I could build a 5 x 10 array with these to replace my 125w envirolite to keep my mothers and seedlings under.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50PC-12V-10mm...5443463QQihZ011QQcategoryZ66954QQcmdZViewItem

So come on folks, advice me here, I'm really keen to get on with setting up some LEDs, and I need some more advice to get me over the finish line!

I can add 50 7000mcd UV 5mm LEDs for 16 bucks too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-PCS-5mm-70...66954QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

G

yamaha_1fan said:
My local hydrostore has a test going in the store, LED vs HID. LED is getting its ass whooped

I don't have problems Yamaha-------------my fucking shit works---every day, every freaking day.

TyStik

G

WTF Ty? Take the hatred somewhere else FFS, this is a sensible serious discussion goign on here!

what are your soldering skills like?

That's the bit that bothers me, soldering hundreds of 10mm LEDs is a lot of work. I could use 3W Luxeon LEDs instead as I can get those cheap as well on ebay. 20 red, 5 blue, total of 75w, that should rock in my small space then add in some of those 5mm UV leds for the UV-B and four 1w green luxeons and I should have an awesome light.

Tomatoesonly

Ganja, which UV are you after? I did some research and the UV-b stuff is like 290-320nm and the UV LED's I found were UV-a 395nm.

UV-b is mean stuff.

Ganja Pasha said:
Hmm, 639 bucks and they only ship to the US. Any other good units other than the Procyon that aren't so expensive?

I'm looking to replace my 250w HPS with LEDs and I think I'll need 100w. The way I see it, my 250w HPS produces about 10000 PAR lumens, surely I would need 10000 lumens of LED light to match the HPS?

The Procyon uses the Cree Xlamp LEDs, which are available from ledlightingsupply.com

So if you know anyone who is good with electronics, or you feel like you wanna take a shot at making your own light, you could in theory construct a very high powered very nice LED light. You could actually build it into whatever cab you use. Vent the electronics and power supply.

But I don't see why someone couldn't attach a couple hundred (20 X 20 of the .5 watt) LEDs to a circuit board with a 200 watt (ish) power supply, and have something that could really compete with a 400w light.

Maybe someone already has. The procyon just needs about 2-4X the power.

G

Well, I've been doing my research and although 3W red and blue high power LEDs are prtetty cheap on ebay, the best deal are the 10mm 0.5W ones. I've just bought fifty 0.5w blue 10mm LEDs to build a 25w veg light to replace my current 125w envirolite that I use to keep my mothers under. They only cost 12.65 ukp from eBay and pump out 130 lumens over a 40 degree viewing angle, which means I'll be getting 6500 lumens from only 25W, that's a hell of a lot more efficient than CFL technology!. I'm gonna build them into a 5 x 10 array on a large circuit board and power it with an old 300w PC power supply, that has multiple 12V lines that will provide more than ample amperage.

These are the Blue 10mm LEDs I've bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-PCS-10mm-4...2997943QQihZ011QQcategoryZ66954QQcmdZViewItem

If I find building that light and soldering 50 LEDs not too bad, I'll build my own 110W panel to replace my 250w HPS. It will be 84 cm wide and 42 cm deep with 220 LEDs. There will be 150 Red 70 lumen 10mm ones, 50 blue 70 lumen 10mm ones and 20 green 80 lumen ones for a total of 15600 lumens, which should easily match the performance of my 250w HPS. The total cost of the 220 LEDs is less than 40 ukp and they come with free resistors, add another tenner for the PCBs and another tenner for the other assorted bits, and it should cost me no more 60 ukp to build my own custom sized 110w panel, that's a fifth the price of a 100w Procyon! I'll power it with the same 300w PC power supply.

I'm searching for some 290-320nm UV-B LEDs as the only ones I can find so far are 390-410nm UV-A. I take it it's the UV-B ones I need? I would like to add 10w of UV LEDs to the panel if possible, I reckon 120W of LEDs in 4.3 sq ft should rock, expecially if I run a SCROG.

Last edited:
G

I've just found an LEd supplier that sells these 110w 900 LEd ceiling lights for only 128 bucks! These looks fantastic value and a lot cheaper than a Procyon, sadly they only have they in blue, white and yellow at the moment, but I;m gonna email them and see if they do a red version too. I;m thinking of getting one of the blue ones if my mate will lend me the money!

http://www.lck-led.com/product_info.php/cPath/99_100/products_id/226

ledceilinglight.jpg