What's new

So I want to build a 400 watt CMH light from scratch, what do I need?

So ceramic metal halide has caught my eye, and I want to build one because it seems by far the way to go.

So I figure I need a ballast kit, like a "howard industries" or a "venture" right? runs around $50 or so + shipping.

Then I need a bulb, which is easy enough. another $50 or so

Reflector, I can make my own, buy one, make it work, whatever, there are plenty of guides here on how to do it.

What else do I need? Where can I get it? Can someone post a how-to, or an exact list on what else I need?

Stay Puft

Some other items you may need:
Mogul Lamp Socket (holds the bulb)
Cable From Ballast to Mogul
Ballast Power Input Cable
Connector for Input Cable (Select correct connector- 120V or 240V)
Enclosure for ballast (vented)- Not required but suggested
Strain reliefs, Crimp connectors.

Sorry this is not exactly what you are asking for, but it is a start. (and a bump)
Regards,
Stay_Puft

Praxis

I got this ballast (I dont see a 400watt one at htg), http://www.businesslights.com/400w-venture-quad-tap-hps-cwa-ballast-kit-p-33.html and had a spare lamp cord and cord to plug into the 110volt. The ballast came already wired all you have to do is hook up your mogul socket and power cord/ground.

My brand new lumatek 400watt ballast is back in its box now with its 430 son agro bulb :bashhead:

I am doing a single recirculating dwc atm and bought this chiller, it keeps temps at 65 to 69 degrees. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~chillers_coolworks_iceprobe.html
It keeps my 8 gallons cool enough for now and id google that chillers name to maybe find a cheaper one.
Thanks again simba and all who shared the cmh info.

Praxis

so here's what I've purchased:

Philips HPS-Retro White 400 Watt Horizontal
400W Venture Ballast Kit (HPS)
5KV Mogul Base

So am I doing ok so far? I didn't pick up the wrong parts?

What else am I going to need, besides a reflector? And where can I get it?

Last edited:
anyone?

I was surprised there wasn't a "DIY how-to" in the DIY page, just about everything is covered except HID grow lights (not counting reflectors).

Again I've got these coming so far:

Philips HPS-Retro White 400 Watt Horizontal
400W Venture Ballast Kit (HPS)
5KV Mogul Base

I can guess I'll need wiring, any suggestions here? what gauge? I suppose I'll need a "plug" head.

What else?

green_grow

Veteran
a watering/feeding bucket of some kind, pots, soil, ph tester (optional, but highly recommended), exhaust fan, timer, scissors ... really though, the thing you need to do the most right now is read. spend hours reading before you germinate a seed, it will increase your chances of bringing in a crop on your first grow. maybe find a grow that you like and try to copy what that grower is doing. most thread starters are delighted to answer questions about their grow.
happy growing !

green_grow said:
a watering/feeding bucket of some kind, pots, soil, ph tester (optional, but highly recommended), exhaust fan, timer, scissors ... really though, the thing you need to do the most right now is read. spend hours reading before you germinate a seed, it will increase your chances of bringing in a crop on your first grow. maybe find a grow that you like and try to copy what that grower is doing. most thread starters are delighted to answer questions about their grow.
happy growing !

no no no, I meant what else do I need to complete the DIY CMH light, I've got seeds germing under T-12 floros, have soil and coir ready, etc

but thank you, this is a kind place :)

I hope to have 100 or so seeds popping up in the next 2-3 days, sadly the skunkman freebies haven't germed yet. Some are going to be moved outdoors.