What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

adding a igniter to a mh for hps use

full time daddy
Veteran
what i have is 2 175MH's now i know i can get 150w hps conversions bulb's and there up there in the price. sometime ago a friend of mine had a 175mv pulse start and just bought a 150 hps bulb and it worked fine. i know when working with a 1k 600's and 400's you can have a "switchable ballast" the way that works is by using a hps transformer ( 1100 watts) for a 1k. a mh transformer 1k is 1070watts it would run to hot and end up blowing after time.... all the "switch" dose is cut or connect the x-3 wire on the iggy

now my ?
being that i have a 175mh (210watts) and a 150hps (190watts) would i beable to put in a iggy and run a hps bulb? i dont see where it will be a prob the 175mh transformer has the more watts then the 150hps do there for it should run cool and more stable brighter light. but wanted some advice first.......i would much rather buy a $8 igniter and a $12 bulb to get hps as to buying a $50 conversions bulb

also what size room should i build for 2 150/175w lights i was thanking 2 x 4 ? i really have no limits, but i dont want a huge space that the light is not going to be useful.

Last edited:

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you might have better luck with a digital aquarium ballast.
i know the whole point is to save money, but aside from dimmable digi ballasts i wouldn't recommend putting in a different wattage than the ballast is rated for. your bulb won't be happy.

M

mrred

yea use the right wattage, dont fuck around, a mh is fine for flowering, no one sells complete 150w hps for like 20-30 bucks anymore?

bilgeweed

Some people say yes - BUT - MORE people say NO. I'd buy a 150 HPS ballast put in a cheap box and you have both a veg and flower lamp. I run a 150 CMH and 150 HPS.

bilgeweed