What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long before ROBOTS are growing Cannabis?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Perusing the newspapers today - I came upon this article in The Daily Mail about robots helping to grow plants - then thought how long it will be before cannabis is grown this way - or is it already happening?

'vertical farm' is about to produce its first crop with the help of a robot named Frank working in a warehouse in S****horpe — and it could change agriculture forever

A 'vertical farm' in S****horpe has the potential to change agriculture forever

Only four human beings work at the vast warehouse, bathed in eerie pink light

It is designed to produce 500 tonnes of plants annually starting with fresh herbs

A single robot — called Frank — is responsible for gathering trays of plants

Normally, November is not the month for the herb harvest in the British Isles, nor is an industrial estate in S****horpe the type of place you’d expect to find people gathering in crops.

Yet that is exactly what will be happening next Monday at a radically new farm — and it may just herald a sea-change in the way we grow our food.

Forget all those traditional images you have of agriculture: rolling fields, combine harvesters and lumbering tractors, even greenhouses and polytunnels.

Instead, picture something straight off a sci-fi movie set — a vast warehouse bathed in an eerie pinkish glow, filled with racks of plants stacked 40ft high and tended by a robot that glides about the floor.

The few humans present on this farm look nothing like farmers. Instead of sporting favourite old pullovers or check shirts, they wear overalls, high-vis jackets and hairnets.

In short, this is less the Darling Buds Of May, more a laboratory from the distant future. Welcome, then, to the world’s most advanced commercial ‘vertical farm’.

It’s run by a new firm called Jones Food Company, and is designed to produce 500 tonnes of plants annually starting with coriander, basil, dill and chives to feed the growing appetite for fresh herbs all year.

The first crop was sown as recently as the middle of last month, and by next week, the initial batch will already have been harvested. Everything here is geared towards growing plants as quickly and efficiently as possible. And all without a single handful of soil.

At the heart of the operation is a technique known as hydroponics, whereby plants are grown under artificial light with their roots resting in a ‘hydroponic solution’ made up of water and essential nutrients such as potassium, calcium, nitrogen, nitrate and magnesium, instead of soil.

All the air that enters passes through medical-grade filters, and the pressure inside the warehouse is kept higher than the air pressure outdoors to stop insects getting in.

Rather than a brand new concept, S****horpe’s vertical farm is the latest step in the long-running attempt to find a way of factory farming plants indoors.

There are already a number of hydroponic farms in Britain. Thanet Earth, for example, south of Gatwick, has been operating for nearly a decade. In 2013, this facility alone produced 225 million tomatoes — around 12 per cent of the UK’s total crop.

In Clapham, South London, hydroponics and artificial lights are used to grow salad crops in former air raid shelters — an indicator of how valuable this technique could be in cities.

What makes the project in S****horpe so revolutionary — and so exciting — is the use of so many layers of plants and the high levels of automation which make managing them possible. The other great development from which the vertical farm has benefited has been the source of the artificial light.

Previously, sodium bulbs have been used which require enormous amounts of energy. This didn’t just negate many of the environmental benefits but also made operating the farms hugely expensive.

Back in 2010, one estimate put the electricity bill for growing the amount of wheat required for a just single loaf of bread via hydroponics at around £12.

All that has changed thanks to the widespread adoption of LED lights, which use far less power.

The farm in S****horpe boasts no less than 7.6 miles of LED lights, the equivalent of 38 Eiffel Towers laid end-to-end. Their pink glow illuminates a total growing surface area of 5,120 square metres — the size of 26 tennis courts.

The company’s co-founder and chief technology officer, Dr Paul Challinor, who has a doctorate in hydroponics and who did much of the testing of the lights at his own home, explains why his warehouse is lit in that eerie shade of pink.

‘The reason is because the plants grow best under red-and-blue light,’ he says, ‘although we also have white lights so that we can see what we are doing.’

The different-coloured lights have different roles to play during the plants’ life cycles. Red light helps to promote leaf coverage, whereas blue light promotes plant structure and leaf mass.

Dr Challinor says an order for his plants has already been placed by a customer who wants a ‘fresh product’, although he is tight-lipped about who it is. The plants are reputedly just as flavoursome as those grown in traditional soil, and it seems unlikely that any commercial customer would order several tonnes of herbs from the farm if they tasted bland.

In 1999, an American former professor of microbiology called Dickson Despommier claimed that a 30-floor skyscraper farm could one day feed 50,000 people.

By 2050 it is estimated around 86 per cent of people in the developed world will be living in cities and the world’s population is projected to have swollen from 7.7 billion today, to nearly ten billion.

Proponents of vertical farms have argued that as the food could be grown in the heart of cities, food miles — the distance it travels from traditional farms to consumers — could be all but eliminated, cutting greenhouse gas emissions and leaving us with fresher, tastier food.

The use of vertical farms also slashes the amount of land required to feed a growing population and saves us from having to use damaging pesticides and fertiliser.

Even better, because the inside of the warehouse is so closely controlled, vertical farms can grow crops all year, rather than following seasonal cycles. This also protects the crops from the frosts or droughts that can lay waste to traditional farms.

All this hinges on whether new technology has solved the problem of cheap and reliable artificial light.

It is too early to say whether the use of LEDs is, as the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board claims, a ‘seismic shift that is set to change fundamentally how we grow plants’. For his part, Dr Challinor is nothing if not ambitious. ‘We have already looked at other sites in the Midlands and the South and hope to be running a number of units,’ he says, and claims the farm is taking ‘British horticulture to another level’.

At present, it is growing herbs because of their high retail value, and plans to diversify into growing salad leaves as well as high-value plants needed by cosmetic and pharmaceutical companies (that principle at least has been proved to work: many illegal cannabis operations grow the drug using hydroponics and artificial lights).

In future, it is hoped that other crops such as wheat and barley could be grown in warehouses rather than in open fields.

If Dr Challinor can manage that, then the sky really is the limit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6403635/Britains-vertical-farm-produce-crop-help-robot.html

*lol - looks like you can't say the name of the English town S-C-U-N-T-H-O-R-P-E here!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
How long before they realise how fucking awesome weed is; grow their hair and get a smoking room with a pool table and drop out of the rat race :D

St. Phatty

I would like to see a Proposition -

All Robots have to have Cannabinoid Receptors.

Let the Narco Police Arrest THEM.

Then put the police in the same cell with the Robots.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
From the lack of variety and dull effects of commercial yields,
i assumed robots were already growing cannabis.

CaptainDankness

The question is, how much longer are we going to be able to drive our own cars?

Probably a bit longer in the USA, but around the world... They were talking a knife ban in the UK, I'm sure cars are more dangerous especially those new fully automatic assualt cars. :)

But once autonomous cars and 18 wheelers take over the roads, yeah the little man is pretty much fucked.

Of course they can't get blood out of a stone. If everyone is broke we can't afford what the rich are selling, they need us...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
realdoll dot com are robots.

This is Quinn 1.0 Seven thousand dollars and change.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 18

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Come to think of it - a robot bong waiter - that rolls well - and can pack a pipe - might be an interesting addition to any gathering of the clans.

Lrus007

Veteran
robot trimmer would be nice.
lazer perfect blade trimmed would be cool
i do not mind the rest of it.

now if that real doll cooked cleaned and trimmed.
they would be in demand lol

DTOM420

I’ll bet it’s not far away. I don’t know about “robots” but mechanized growing systems and harvesting machines. I’ll bet somebody at John Deere has already thought about how to modify a combine to harvest cannabis.

What worries me is the jobs - the loss of them! What do people ‘DO’ when robots and machines complete most of the labor? Thankfully, I probably won’t live long enough to see it but it scares me for my kids. My daughter is a nurse and we worry about hospitals replacing them with robots over the next 15-20 years.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I’ll bet it’s not far away. I don’t know about “robots” but mechanized growing systems and harvesting machines. I’ll bet somebody at John Deere has already thought about how to modify a combine to harvest cannabis.

I wouldn't doubt it one bit.

I would love to review it!

Latest posts

Latest posts