What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

leaf curl issues with two strains

Luxman

Wondering if I can get some educated opinions here about what this is. I keep getting contradictory advice from people. Not necessarily looking for how to fix it, just want to identify the problem.

I have 48 different strains, and all of them consistently do incredibly well with my food regimen except for 2. I'm doing organics in 1/2 FFOF and 1/2 Sunshine #4 organic. Soil and nutrient ph runs between 6 and 6.5. Very happy with things overall. Note that all of the 46 other types show no sign of this problem at all. For that reason there's no point in asking what I'm feeding them; it's pretty complicated.

Not necessarily looking for 'what to do', but rather just want to know what this is. It happens really fast; within a day or two. Usually happens in veg and then straightens out, but sometimes it will happen in the first week or two of flower. Older fan leaves curl up and turn crumbly.

It is definitely not heat (temps are at 76 degrees F).

P or K deficiency? Why just these two types? The specific types are Afgooey and GodBud.

Thanks for any help on this.

Luxman

Here's another. 24 hours later. GodBud, 10 days into 12/12. New growth looks healthy; this only affects the largest leaves.

I'm curious if this might be a hypersensitivity to fulvic acid? I'm not using very much, but maybe these types have a really low tolerance...?

The thing is: this happens fast, right out of good health. It isn't gradual at all. And meanwhile all the other strains are going ape-shit and healthy.

I was hoping for a consensus among you experts out there, but I'll take anything at this point. :tiphat:

medicalmj

Veteran
Not broad mites causing (not saying you don't have, just that ain't causing).

I almost think its a P lock out since you mentioned the crumbly part. Are they crisp too? Any dark spots?

P issues include symptoms that mainly affect tips, edges older first and leaves curl up...

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
are you foliar feeding?? it could be a photosensitivity issue with the effect on the bigger older leaves. i get that leaf edge curl from heat stress and low humidity but the other leaves have some leaf tip burn which indicates overfeeding. some plants don't like the buffet and need to be fed at a lower strength

Luxman

Thanks for the input, guys. It's def not broad mites. It does remind me of heat stress, but that's not it, sure of that.

Could relate to P lock-out, as that last pic seems to show clear signs of it (upper right). But that curl is bizarre. Didn't do any foliar feeding, and the food level is fairly low at this early stage, but I guess it could be that.

I'd lean towards P lock out, but it happens so fast...

Luxman

(Hmm, is there no editing of comments?)

Jammie, note that the leaf tips are curled but are not brown. They'd be brown in an overfert situation. My food regimen isn't very hot since it's continuous-feed; they get a bit of food but get it every watering. I'd suspect a deficiency first. (But then, I obviously don't know, do I?)

I'm going to try a guano boost and see how she likes that. If she gets worse Jammie was prolly right.

Luxman

Thanks medicalmj.

I hit the Godbud with some 0-5-4 liquid guano last night. It'll either fix her or fry her. I'm thinking P deficiency. I 'll post results in a few days.

Luxman

Okay. 4 days after giving her a good shot of PK and she is more pissed off than ever. So it was apparently not a P or a K deficiency.

I have never seen an overfeeding situation that looked anything like those pictures. I am at a total loss here. I will try backing off on the nutrients, but with organics I can't see how that is the problem when all of my other plants are in extreme health.

Anyone? Who is the resident expert around here? This is an interesting mystery for sure.

Luxman

have you scoped them for broads,i been fighting mine for awhile and haven't seen them yet ,they very small

It's not broadmites. Let's move past that. This is a long-term issue that only affects two plants.

I've been going through this for a couple years now with the Afgooey. More recently I got the God Bud cut, so this is only the second plant I've ever seen this problem with. They both have the same special need; I just need to find out exactly what that need is.

Am I in the right subforum?

Luxman

Ho-ly crap, just read about the broad mites in case I was wrong. Thank god it isn't that. Scary. I checked with a scope, I'm good.

Dang

Dang

looks like what happens when you put plants outside under bright sunlight the UV does that cause they are use to artificial HPS lights. They do that exact thing. Or you water with pool acid and then put them under heat lamps ...lol, just a fooley...:)

Luxman

Yeah, this is a total head-scratcher for me. The primary symptom is the curled up leaves, and that seems to proceed into an overall imbalance. I'm still wondering if humic sensitivity is to blame. I don't really add very much, but these two strains might want none at all. I would normally suspect ph issues, but as I said earlier, my soil is at about 6.4 and so are all fluids that they get.

The weird part is how healthy all of the other strains are around this godbud plant. I spent two years coming up with a specific all-organic feeding regimen that my clients could use (medical consultant here). The idea was to come up with something that would consistently work well on all strains with no improvisation. And I did it - except for these two strains. Otherwise it's worked flawlessly for 2 years now.

Does anyone have a favorite forum outside IC mag that I could head to, since nobody here can help? What are the best ones?

I would try

I would try

Yeah, this is a total head-scratcher for me. The primary symptom is the curled up leaves, and that seems to proceed into an overall imbalance. I'm still wondering if humic sensitivity is to blame. I don't really add very much, but these two strains might want none at all. I would normally suspect ph issues, but as I said earlier, my soil is at about 6.4 and so are all fluids that they get.

The weird part is how healthy all of the other strains are around this godbud plant. I spent two years coming up with a specific all-organic feeding regimen that my clients could use (medical consultant here). The idea was to come up with something that would consistently work well on all strains with no improvisation. And I did it - except for these two strains. Otherwise it's worked flawlessly for 2 years now.

Does anyone have a favorite forum outside IC mag that I could head to, since nobody here can help? What are the best ones?

If you had the time and patience I would just take a couple clones and grow them in a different base mix...? everything a little different than what they are growing in now. Maybe even take multiple clones and try a variety of different soil-less mediums and nutes.

Luxman

Thanks some old dude. I guess that's the best option. The Godbud looks so bad now I am going to just pull it. Meanwhile everything else looks great. Go figure.

Latest posts

Latest posts