What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bad male/female Ratio

need4weed

Veteran
I think from now on i will stick to fem seeds!!! with a ratio of 2 females to 10 males within the standard nepal jam seeds.

I have never really gone down the female seeds route as i like to cross breed strains for a hobby and also produce seeds so i can hold onto strains for the future

Oh well luck of the draw i guess

The Hatter

Veteran
It looks like you ended up with my missing share of the males. Although its still too early to tell on some, all the nep jams I can ID are female so far.

Sorry about your bad luck. The irony is that regardless how many females I get, if it exceeds the maximum I am allowed to have I am going to have to kill them so it really doesn't do me much good.

On the other hand the exact opposite is happening with my Sin Diesel. The ones that are showing are all males. I really hope a couple are female in the end.

:chin: Hmmm, maybe its natures way of telling me I need to cross these two.

Anyway, in my limited experience (11 plants) Nep Jam has had better than average ratios of females to males so you might just want to throw the dice again. As a rule of thumb, for ever 1 female I want to have in flower I plant 4 seeds. So far it hasn't bitten me in the rear but I know given enough rolls of the dice it probably will someday. Feminized seeds definitely do have their appeal in that respect.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I think from now on i will stick to fem seeds!!! with a ratio of 2 females to 10 males within the standard nepal jam seeds.

I have never really gone down the female seeds route as i like to cross breed strains for a hobby and also produce seeds so i can hold onto strains for the future

Oh well luck of the draw i guess

Sorry to hear it need4weed,

Guess it was just bad luck, hopefully you are still on time to germinate a few more and full up your garden.

The Nepal Jam std stock is the same available for the past 2 years, it has been tested worldwide with great results and the female ratio is not especially low . Maybe consider to grow fem seeds next time.

Regards! dubi - ACE Seeds -

need4weed

Veteran
Well it's luck of the draw and I have some c99 and some ssh cuts but I have only half filled my garden. I'm not crying over it as I have taken cuts from the female neps which will ensure my next cycle

Ce la vie

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
I've never had these issues with the NepJams I have grown out (over the past several years) from different packs. It has happened to me with another breeder - figured it was luck of the draw and moved on. Also happened with a pack of "female" seeds - got all males. In that instance, the breeder was kind enough to replace the pack.

Good luck in moving forward. It's a GREAT strain and you did well to take the cuts. You should end up very happy with the results.

S

SooperSmurph

Something that has assisted me in the past with attempting to get more females per pack of seeds popped: Cool down your veg, a temperate veg will produce more females than an overly warm one.

Personally I have had really good luck with male/female ratios with NepJam and others from ACE/CBG.I have no special insight or knowledge, however I wonder how much of your difficulties stem from environmental issues?SooperSmurph touched on this,I have read over the years(but don't remember shit,haha) about environmental issues in determining sex ratios.Best of luck and save those cuttings/clones as I think you will be very happy with this variety,its potent,quick,and yields well.Take care and be well my friends,most of all be safe.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I've had mostly females in the Ace lines I've grown, so I would definitely say...luck of the draw. I agree with statements made about lower temps, more blue light, etc. producing higher male ratios. I usually end up with about 70% females...If you grow the Ace Haze and haze hybrids, lots and lots of girls!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is far from uncommon. I just poped 2 strains from a diff vendor only got 1 female for ea strain of 6 seeds. There is no guarantee you will get any females.. Mother nature cant be predicted. Most vendors will work with you if yo get all males...

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I got 9/9 males off the lemon stinky F1's (sensi star x chronic)......There was another guy got 10/10 males from same batch. How is that possible?

GS

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its just bad luck the seeds are had sorted there now way to know what seed is female. there is no cannabis plant that I know of that only produces male seeds.

H

huarmiquilla

howdy

how you do?
respect

am keen to think within total to average within regular seed form to being half male similar half female

indeed within limit population such and such 10 to compare to 10 to power to 10
much variance within
such to think
relative nature to experience such with respect to male preference within regular variety
similar
equal to inverse within spectrum to experience such with respect to female preference within regular variety

with respect to probability within spectrum
such similar not exact within to toss coin
more possible with toss same side to coin within 10 toss
less possible to continue such average at when to toss within each addition to toss

similar total to possible
hehehe

respect

positive vibrations

need4weed

Veteran
I have to agree with environmental factors playing a big part. In the past I've alway got around 60 to 70% females but a hot environment generally has produced more males for me

nukklehead

Not trying to drum up an ole pissin match but is there really evidence out there that shows nurture ( environment) vs nature determines sex? Im no pro but just seems to go against (im atheist) lack of a better term gods will? Feminised, hermie , cross dressing, transgendered, homosexual, whatever there is always anomalies no matter what in nature but for the most part in general isnt a sex a sex from conception on if not an anomaly no matter what environment.?

Just curious:chin:

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis

Mechanisms of sex determination

Cannabis has been described as having one of the most complicated mechanisms of sex determination among the dioecious plants.[67] Many models have been proposed to explain sex determination in Cannabis.

Based on studies of sex reversal in hemp, it was first reported by K. Hirata in 1924 that an XY sex-determination system is present.[65] At the time, the XY system was the only known system of sex determination. The X:A system was first described in Drosophila spp in 1925.[68] Soon thereafter, Schaffner disputed Hirata's interpretation,[69] and published results from his own studies of sex reversal in hemp, concluding that an X:A system was in use and that furthermore sex was strongly influenced by environmental conditions.[66]

Since then, many different types of sex determination systems have been discovered, particularly in plants.[60] Dioecy is relatively uncommon in the plant kingdom, and a very low percentage of dioecious plant species have been determined to use the XY system. In most cases where the XY system is found it is believed to have evolved recently and independently.[70]

Since the 1920s, a number of sex determination models have been proposed for Cannabis. Ainsworth describes sex determination in the genus as using "an X/autosome dosage type".[60]
A male hemp plant.
Dense raceme of carpellate flowers typical of drug-type varieties of Cannabis.

The question of whether heteromorphic sex chromosomes are indeed present is most conveniently answered if such chromosomes were clearly visible in a karyotype. Cannabis was one of the first plant species to be karyotyped; however, this was in a period when karyotype preparation was primitive by modern standards (see History of Cytogenetics). Heteromorphic sex chromosomes were reported to occur in staminate individuals of dioecious "Kentucky" hemp, but were not found in pistillate individuals of the same variety. Dioecious "Kentucky" hemp was assumed to use an XY mechanism. Heterosomes were not observed in analyzed individuals of monoecious "Kentucky" hemp, nor in an unidentified German cultivar. These varieties were assumed to have sex chromosome composition XX.[71] According to other researchers, no modern karyotype of Cannabis had been published as of 1996.[72] Proponents of the XY system state that Y chromosome is slightly larger than the X, but difficult to differentiate cytologically.[73]

More recently, Sakamoto and various co-authors[74][75] have used RAPD to isolate several genetic marker sequences that they name Male-Associated DNA in Cannabis (MADC), and which they interpret as indirect evidence of a male chromosome. Several other research groups have reported identification of male-associated markers using RAPD and AFLP.[76][77][78] Ainsworth commented on these findings, stating,

"It is not surprising that male-associated markers are relatively abundant. In dioecious plants where sex chromosomes have not been identified, markers for maleness indicate either the presence of sex chromosomes which have not been distinguished by cytological methods or that the marker is tightly linked to a gene involved in sex determination.[60] "

Environmental sex determination is known to occur in a variety of species.[79] Many researchers have suggested that sex in Cannabis is determined or strongly influenced by environmental factors.[66] Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects, and that treatment with cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.[60] It has been reported that sex can be reversed in Cannabis using chemical treatment.[80] A PCR-based method for the detection of female-associated DNA polymorphisms by genotyping has been developed.[81]

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Everything I've read says your best advice for finding females - you should have higher levels of nitrogen and lower temps. Females grow less quickly (vertically) than males do, meaning they would tend to sprout earlier in the year when the soil was fresher and the weather was cooler. Soil rich in flowering nutrients with warm temps would signal summer time or late spring, a time when males would need to hurry up and pop to pollinate females.

Of course this is entirely speculation and 50/50 is generally going to be the rule. Good luck on the hunt.

nukklehead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis

Mechanisms of sex determination

Cannabis has been described as having one of the most complicated mechanisms of sex determination among the dioecious plants.[67] Many models have been proposed to explain sex determination in Cannabis.

Based on studies of sex reversal in hemp, it was first reported by K. Hirata in 1924 that an XY sex-determination system is present.[65] At the time, the XY system was the only known system of sex determination. The X:A system was first described in Drosophila spp in 1925.[68] Soon thereafter, Schaffner disputed Hirata's interpretation,[69] and published results from his own studies of sex reversal in hemp, concluding that an X:A system was in use and that furthermore sex was strongly influenced by environmental conditions.[66]

Since then, many different types of sex determination systems have been discovered, particularly in plants.[60] Dioecy is relatively uncommon in the plant kingdom, and a very low percentage of dioecious plant species have been determined to use the XY system. In most cases where the XY system is found it is believed to have evolved recently and independently.[70]

Since the 1920s, a number of sex determination models have been proposed for Cannabis. Ainsworth describes sex determination in the genus as using "an X/autosome dosage type".[60]
A male hemp plant.
Dense raceme of carpellate flowers typical of drug-type varieties of Cannabis.

The question of whether heteromorphic sex chromosomes are indeed present is most conveniently answered if such chromosomes were clearly visible in a karyotype. Cannabis was one of the first plant species to be karyotyped; however, this was in a period when karyotype preparation was primitive by modern standards (see History of Cytogenetics). Heteromorphic sex chromosomes were reported to occur in staminate individuals of dioecious "Kentucky" hemp, but were not found in pistillate individuals of the same variety. Dioecious "Kentucky" hemp was assumed to use an XY mechanism. Heterosomes were not observed in analyzed individuals of monoecious "Kentucky" hemp, nor in an unidentified German cultivar. These varieties were assumed to have sex chromosome composition XX.[71] According to other researchers, no modern karyotype of Cannabis had been published as of 1996.[72] Proponents of the XY system state that Y chromosome is slightly larger than the X, but difficult to differentiate cytologically.[73]

More recently, Sakamoto and various co-authors[74][75] have used RAPD to isolate several genetic marker sequences that they name Male-Associated DNA in Cannabis (MADC), and which they interpret as indirect evidence of a male chromosome. Several other research groups have reported identification of male-associated markers using RAPD and AFLP.[76][77][78] Ainsworth commented on these findings, stating,

"It is not surprising that male-associated markers are relatively abundant. In dioecious plants where sex chromosomes have not been identified, markers for maleness indicate either the presence of sex chromosomes which have not been distinguished by cytological methods or that the marker is tightly linked to a gene involved in sex determination.[60] "

Environmental sex determination is known to occur in a variety of species.[79] Many researchers have suggested that sex in Cannabis is determined or strongly influenced by environmental factors.[66] Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects, and that treatment with cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.[60] It has been reported that sex can be reversed in Cannabis using chemical treatment.[80] A PCR-based method for the detection of female-associated DNA polymorphisms by genotyping has been developed.[81]

Im good with that explanation.. Im not an educated man but can read enough into it that shows the variabilities with hemp..

Just one question... the wife and I want a son ( after 2 daughters)..
Any advice on how I should fuck her???

Just joking bro... good post:biggrin:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Nep Jam ratio: It looks like I will get 3 males from 5 seeds. One has no preflowers yet but is very tall and gangling. Luck of the draw I guess. I will take some cuttings or make some seeds because I've heard this strain is very good. I will probably go to the dispensary and grab a couple clones of something. I will keep the plant count total but the dispensary says it is probably OK to have more than 3 flowering plants at one time.

The Hatter

Veteran
I thought I might as well check in with my final F/M ratio for nep jam now that they have all started to pre-flower.

6 Female, 1 Male

The Sin Diesel is taking longer to pre-flower but I seem to have more males from that strain. That snippet from the wiki was an interesting read. Ty for sharing.

It's a shame so many females need to be killed this time. It always makes me sad when I have to do that. :cry:

Latest posts

Latest posts