What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150 Watt HPS light pulsing

-~Wind Walker~-

IcmaGang,

My 150 watt HPS is slightly pulsing. I am seeing a small amount of change in the light's output. It is a consistent phenomenon where approximately every half second I see the light intensity pulse. The change in light output is very subtle. So subtle that when I initially saw this I thought it could be shadows or reflections from my set up with a circulation fan, leaves, panda plastic and mylar but after further monitoring I determined it to be the light being the issue.

The bulb has been used for approximately 14 months.

I am considering replacing the bulb with a new one but wanted to see about getting some feedback before doing so.

Thanks
-~WW~-

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i havent a set up here so i cant check mine, but im sure sometimes i would notice flickering and sometimes it didnt seem to do it much. mains electric is AC and changes direction 50-60times a second which will cause some flicker/pulsing. how well is the bulb firing (starting up)? straight away or seems to take a few attempts? that bulb if its been on 24/0 for 14months potentially has another 14months in it and longer if used on 12/12.
its about time to think about having a spare new bulb anyway, can give it a try for a few days and see if theres much difference.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
LAMP FLICKERS OR CYCLES ON AND OFF

1. Wrong Ballast

With mercury lamps, improper ballasting can cause flickering or erratic operation. With metal halide lamps, the effect is generally noticed in the startup period when the lamp ignites, starts to warm up and then extinguishes (cycling). This may be caused by improper voltage/current relationships delivered by ballast. Under certain conditions new lamps may "cycle". Usually after three tries to start at 30 to 60 second intervals lamps will stabilize and operate normally.

2. High Lamp Operating Voltage/Low Open Circuit Ballast Voltage
Measure lamp operating voltage. Measure ballast open circuit voltage. Replace as required.

3. Variable Voltage

Heavy motor loads or welding appliances on line can cause flickering during operation. Remove lighting circuits from the circuits serving these devices. Provide voltage regulators. Check for loose connection. Use of Constant Wattage Isolated (CWI) ballasts not Constant Wattage Auto (CWA) can frequently help this situation.

4. HPS Cycler

As a high pressure sodium lamp is burned for long periods of time, its operating voltage tends to increase. When this point is reached, the lamp will exhibit cycling on and off characteristics. This is normal end of life lamp. Replace the lamp after checking ballast open circuit voltage and lamp operating voltage.

i took this from atlas lighting's troubleshooting guide :joint: i'd probably go with number 4 if you said this bulb is 14 months old, but that's just my opinion

good luck!

ArcticBlast

-~Wind Walker~-

SHIT

SHIT

OK, so after posting this thread I decided to get a lint free cloth and try and tighten the bulb into its socket and low and behold it was loose. I am always apprehensive touching a HPS bulb, I have oily skin (that is my excuse, lame I know). I turned the lamp on and it looked like the loose bulb was the problem. I will have to see what it does after a few hours of operation.

All I ask is that you let me get my flame suit on before responding..

C'mon damn helmet latch. Snap, flick, snap..c'mon!

-~WW~-

Latest posts

Latest posts