What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Root Aphid DESTRUCTION!!

BigSwifty

I'm fighting root aphids organically and I'm ordering some Botanigard tomorrow. It doesn't seem like too many people use the Botanigard, but the limited posts I've seen seem to indicate success with it. It is some EXPENSIVE shit, so I see why people don't want to gamble with it.

So I had a few questions and hopefully someone with some experience or knowledge regarding Botanigard can respond:

1) Will it also kill beneficial nematodes? I'm not sure of what exact strain the nematodes are, but in general are they affected by Botanigard (Beauveria bassiana)?

2) Would nicotine affect the Beauveria bassiana fungus at all? I wanted an instant knockdown and was hoping to mix the Botanigard with a nicotine tea (1cup/gal). Do you think this is a good idea?

Well I hope to provide some feedback on how this works on root aphids. I should have it here by my next watering.:tiphat:

-BS

Last edited:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
BigSwifty

Botanigard is 'white mineral oil' and I'll let others offer an opinion on this method of controlling pests.

Having said that it wouldn't be my 'first choice' but YMMV

HTH

CC

BigSwifty

Thanks, but what do you mean it's "white mineral oil"? It's actually an emulsifiable solution containing spores of the Beauveria Bassiana fungus. The fungus infects insects on contact causing white muscardine disease. The insect the perishes within a matter of days releasing more spores.

Please elaborate man if you know anything!! That isn't very helpful... I don't know if you're being sarcastic or what... I'm guessing you know what it is. I've put everything into this grow and I'm broke right now so I can't afford to waste limited resources and useless things. The other posts I've seen indicate that it works!

Attached is the label FYI

Attachments

• Botanigard_Label.pdf
    309.2 KB · Views: 25

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
What do you mean it's "white mineral oil"? It's actually an emulsifiable solution containing spores of the Beauveria Bassiana fungus. The fungus infects insects on contact causing white muscardine disease. The insect the perishes within a matter of days releasing more spores.

Please elaborate man if you know anything!! That isn't very helpful... I don't know if you're being sarcastic or what... I'm guessing you know what it is. I've put everything into this grow and I'm broke right now so I can't afford to waste limited resources and useless things. The other posts I've seen indicate that it works!

Attached is the label FYI
Wow!

I wasn't being 'sarcastic' or anything even approaching that deal - at all.

I looked up the term 'Botanigard' (a specific product that I knew/know NOTHING about) and saw the term 'white mineral oil' which is a specific product that is used for a myriad of applications/products.

I'm familiar enough with the use of 'oils' (cedar, mineral [white and/or otherwise], soybean, et al.) that are used in the horticulture industry so that I didn't have to delve much deeper. I offered NO OPINION on this product's viability other than to make the observation that it wouldn't be my 'FIRST CHOICE' - if you want or find a need for validation I'd suggest that you find a rabbi, priest, minister to take care of your special 'on-line' needs.

I did NOT offer any opinion other than this:
Botanigard is 'white mineral oil' and I'll let others offer an opinion on this method of controlling pests.

Having said that it wouldn't be my 'first choice' but YMMV
and from that post, in it's entirety, you are posting the bull-sh*t about my post?

Seriously?

Thanks for sharing or something similar.

Wee!

CC

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
From the label-
"Begin treatment of crops at the first appearance of the insect pest. Typically, it takes 7-10 days after the first spray to see control. Application rates, frequency, spray coverage and insect numbers impact the speed at which acceptable control is achieved. BotaniGard ES is most effective when used early, before high insect populations develop. Reapply as necessary under a pest management program that includes close scouting. Intense pest outbreaks may require combination of BotaniGard ES with a compatible insecticide."

I'm telling you man, you are wasting your time and money with that stuff. These are not your average bugs we are dealing with, you need to pick a bigger weapon.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
What the hell man? It was a misunderstanding and his posts didnt seem at all disprespectful.
You're right and that's why I deleted my post that you quoted.

I would hope that you would also delete your post quoting my post.

I was wrong and it wasn't helpful at all.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
FoCo(No.Co)

Thank you. When I'm wrong I have no problem admitting it.

Good on you for deleting your post.

Thanks again!

CC

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hey

Can't help you with any info on the products, but i gotta rant!! ...i fought these little basterds foraround a year till i got rid of them ...very annoying creatures, lol.

Hope you get rid of them.

I used pyrethrin concentrate and neem oil+ soap water on them ...and tossed all the extra plants in the house i just could.

also..You can use heavier 'poisons' on your normal household plants, to kill the bugs on those if there are any.
atleast the Pyrethrin should be quite non-harmfull to human and food industry uses it all the time ..you can find it on ebay. ..neem oil also.

Peace.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I used pyrethrin concentrate and neem oil+ soap water on them ...and tossed all the extra plants in the house i just could.
FoCo(No.Co)

Here's what I use on a regular basis...............

Take 1/2 cup of neem seed cake/meal and add 1/4 cup of kelp meal to 1 gallon of clean water. Aerate for 24-36 hours and apply too your soil as well as applying this 'tea' as a foliar spray.

It works. It's cheap. It will feed your plants, i.e. it's non-ivasive as the term goes.

HTH

CC

BigSwifty

From the label-
"Begin treatment of crops at the first appearance of the insect pest. Typically, it takes 7-10 days after the first spray to see control. Application rates, frequency, spray coverage and insect numbers impact the speed at which acceptable control is achieved. BotaniGard ES is most effective when used early, before high insect populations develop. Reapply as necessary under a pest management program that includes close scouting. Intense pest outbreaks may require combination of BotaniGard ES with a compatible insecticide."

I'm telling you man, you are wasting your time and money with that stuff. These are not your average bugs we are dealing with, you need to pick a bigger weapon.

Dude, no offense but have you actually used the product?

Refer to the study I posted in my other post. Here it is again:

http://www.gpnmag.com/articles/some.pdf

From study, the mortality rate of Botanigard on root aphids specifically is 96%. That's in comparison to 100% for orthene/acephate (which I've seen considered THE best weapon) and 85% for dycarb... some other nasty-ass organophosphate.

I'm going to take my chances. I don't think everyone is diligent when using pesiticides. Shit, if I listened to all the people telling me to scrap my grow from spider mites I'd never get anywhere! Those things were pretty damn easy to eliminate with a little persistence...

Anyway, I'll let you know how it works...

Peace,
BS

BigSwifty

Wow!

I wasn't being 'sarcastic' or anything even approaching that deal - at all.

I looked up the term 'Botanigard' (a specific product that I knew/know NOTHING about) and saw the term 'white mineral oil' which is a specific product that is used for a myriad of applications/products.

I'm familiar enough with the use of 'oils' (cedar, mineral [white and/or otherwise], soybean, et al.) that are used in the horticulture industry so that I didn't have to delve much deeper. I offered NO OPINION on this product's viability other than to make the observation that it wouldn't be my 'FIRST CHOICE' - if you want or find a need for validation I'd suggest that you find a rabbi, priest, minister to take care of your special 'on-line' needs.

I did NOT offer any opinion other than this: and from that post, in it's entirety, you are posting the bull-sh*t about my post?

Seriously?

Thanks for sharing or something similar.

Wee!

CC

Bro, I didn't mean to get you riled up. I thought you saying it was "mineral oil" was a sarcastic way of saying it's worthless...

Peace,
BigSwifty

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Bro, I didn't mean to get you riled up. I thought you saying it was "mineral oil" was a sarcastic way of saying it's worthless...

Peace,
BigSwifty
BigSwifty

No - I'm not saying that products containing oil (whatever the source) don't have a place in fighting pests but they are probably NOT the best product to apply to a soil - even neem seed oil which I always advocate using but not in the soil, per se, which is why I posted the deal about using neem seed meal/cake as a tea component.

While I've never used the specific product that you're talking about, it's also fair to say that I've used at least 50 products containing some kind of oil (tree, plant, etc.) in growing plants having absolutely NOTHING to do with growing cannabis.

Just a thought.

Best wishes on you garden!

CC

BigSwifty

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely post my results as it seems like lots of people are having problems with these little bugs.

And FOCO, I noticed they also go after my fruity plants. My Mr Nice, which are a citrusy pheno that smell amazing, are catching the brunt of the infestation.

BigSwifty

Goddamnit! Now I read that Botanigard works primarily against folair feeding insects. The soil-living insects have most likely developed some sort of resistance to the fungus in Botanigard... makes sense.
However, I see a lot of claims of success. I'm guessing their tolerance is not iron-clad! So a outrageous population of fungus spores might still overwhlem them? Who knows...

I still gotta find out if this shit works with nematodes... because I'm definitely picking up nematodes tomorrow locally.