What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs in lobster compost

nickman

Veteran
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it is: I bought some lobster compost from a grow shop near by... it’s coast of Maine lobster compost... Ive heard good thing about it- anyway , I mixed this with some dry amendments for a top dress on my plants that just went into bloom...

I noticed that there’s a lot of very very very tiny clearish - white mite looking bugs crawling in the compost... of coarse I noticed this after I did the top dress...!!!...

They’re too small for a pic

I hate gnats.... but yeah I agree Hp mites or hypoasis miles. Some company's are now adding them for the exact reason smug mentioned, gnats in the compost. They keep getting complaints so allot of the big guys now just add Hp mites to help fix the problem.

nickman

Veteran
No shit... I would of never guessed...!!!...

Yeah don’t like them little f.ckers either. I seem to always get them in the summer from a bag of store bought soil... I use DE but it can be a pain in the ass sometimes, depending on how many plants u have to top dress and then I always have to top dress again with it after watering ...

Thanx guys

I actually just ordered some Hp mites to help with my fungus gnats and when they got here they weren't living ....bummer

L

larry badiner

i never thought fungus gnats were that bad until i found a colony stuck to the resin glands of my budding plants

Latest posts

Latest posts