What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what to do with a hill?

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
Hello guys,

my family owns in the very south italy a small hill that up to today hasn't been used for anything. It's 2 km from the sea, and there's a lot of sun and gentle breeze.

Now there's growing some PRETTY BIG wild plants, so i suppose that if i decide to grow something, it could get pretty big too.

So, i need an input on what to grow there following the following criteria:

a) Easy to maintain: i could care about it just one month, in august, and eventually the crop

b) NO MARIJUANA!!!!!

c) should be well the worth

any suggestion?

B

bigbluntbob

sweet corn, okra, potatoes, garlic, onions all take very little attention.

E

EatShitake

Smoke68 said:
Or grape vines and make some wine!

YES!!!

And if it's too much work, we could send you a couple of "gardeners" from the desert southwest US. :laughing:

BTW, I really LOVE Italy! Wish I could go back there sooner than later.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
id be trying things like marrows, pumpkins, squash, eggplants, chillis, peas, beans, melons, corn and as many other things as you can.

Smoke68

Sorry, had to stereotype lol.
Really though, here in Washington, Spokane, a city on the other side of the Cascades has been getting hit HARD with grow busts. It sounds as though a whole bunch of people have bought vineyards intended for grapes and FILLING it with ganja. They aren't even keeping it on the down low with rows of vines with grapes and a few plants. lol. better them than me:)
As for what I suggest you plant there? I love a good homegrown tomato personally. It is one of the plants you take off the vine, bite into, and taste all the work you put into it. You could do a small row of garlic, a row of basil, a row of onion a row of tomato a row of lettuces and cabbages, and row of root plants such as carrots or potatoes.... Really, the options are endless. What is your taste? What are you thinking of growing up there?

MrFista

Veteran
South Italy is the home of miracle fruit. They're worth a fortune on the US market.

While trying to figure out what to do with it you can always throw some shelter belts round it. Make these nut trees and your children will inherit a goldmine. Many nut trees grow tall and straight. You can double plant with something that takes fast like poplar and willow outside them then once the nuts are a couple of metres high (about 3 years) you cull out the cheap trees and use them for stakes/firewood/compost and making bio-char.

Don't pay for nut trees, find a tree dropping it's nuts and sprout them.

Havocdb

I've heard avocado trees like hills. if it's not too cold, a coastal area should provide enough humidity. always wanted one of those...