What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Virus Protection

Orangecrush

For some reason, when I updated my AVG to the newer version it automatically went to the free trial of their retail version. After my 30 days expired, it no longer worked. I uninstalled and tried to reinstall AVG Free, but it says that my serial code has expired due to using the free trial.

Any use any other programs? I have Sunbelt Personal Firewall and I also use add-ons with Firefox like Key Encryption and No Script, but I was wondering if anyone used any other programs like AVG. Something that involves a virus scan I guess. Thanks in advance!

G

gmb

I haven't tried too many, but I like AVG over Macafee and Norton because it seems to use up alot less resources. I would advise deleting any and all "AVG" keys in your registry, making sure that it's really for the AVG software and not some weird windows acronym for something else. I'm noticing a big trend now days with the abundance of freeware virus/spyware/malware/registry/startup/speed fixers. Within one week, we had THREE computers at work go down. One seems like it was a bad hard drive from the get go, but the other two had like 6 anti-virus/registry-fixer-uppers/spyware sweepers installed on it. It seems like with the installation of all of these things, the registry key that deals with the login screen is getting fooled with.(msi-something...it's like a girls name or something). Anyhow...I'd suggest removing any instance of AVG ever being on your computer..and then start over. Good luck

U

ureapwhatusow

avg works fine for me on about 1000 clients in different markets

BlazeTheSky

zone alarm internet security suite. has everything you need. if you know anything about torrents you wont need to pay for it either...