What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aerogarden

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran

Anybody else have one? I just got it for my gf for her birthday, it's great so far. The chives didn't sprout, but who needs chives? I'll probably throw some other kind of seed in there and see how it does.

G

got one, It's cool. RW sucks in it though. I need to find somthing else to germinate seeds in, then transplant into the AG. Plus I want to modify the hood with CFLs I think that I can get 160w under that thing.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
dasme have you seen the upgraded hood you can buy? Goes like 50% higher and has three T5 bulbs that are in an E like shape.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive seen those on TV too, they look pretty cool, arnt they a little spendy tho, I thought I saw them about 300 bucks?..altho I would love to have fresh herbs all year long.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Mine was $150, and it comes with enough stuff to run for at least 6 months I think. Each new package, with new seeds, pods, and nutrients, is $20. The hydro store I go to has the peppers going right now, they're at least 6 months old, and they looks awesome.

G

yah, I seen that but those lights cant get down with 24" plants. I may just get that to save time

MrFista

Veteran
Hey dasme nice to see you here with the veg heads.

You can use hydroton in the cups and put seed straight into them. Seeds also respond well in aqua I just throw them in the beds and they come up.

How much is this unit? Chemical? Aero - as in mist?

Aquaponics is harder to set up dasme, but it's organic, cheap to run, and, I dunno, for me having the best weed in town is the reward that really satisfies.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
From the looks of it it's just a pump that pours water through a foam pod the seeds are in. The amount of time it drips depends on what setting the unit is on. For the herb set, that I'm growing, it's on the whole time the lights are on. The light cycle is also controlled by the same setting. For herbs, I think it's 18 hours on, 6 hours off.

fortragni

I got one, it's great, i'll take a pic right now and add it as an edit. My gf got me the "Salsa garden" seed kit for christmas, and we waited til we found one on sale for 60$ (!) before getting one. Cute little self contained hydro gardens, very cool. could definitely be modded out for more efficient growth of plants.. or to go pot with

Last edited:
G

I think that with h.trons the seedlings would dry out too fast during the night cyclecause the pump shuts off with the lights off. But once the roots get longer, they'd work fine. I love it, though I need to get some more plants in it STAT.

It's more of a drip though, and with the old arsenal of hydro stuff that I have and have had sice my growing days I have enough stuff to last a while. Man I have had a quart of Pure Blend pro Grow for like 3years, I just never used it all up, and the stuff still grows healthy plants. One time for Botanicare!!!

I think that you can get that similar foam that it comes with at the sewing store like Joanns or some sht.

clorox

Smokin on that serious...
i got one for my girlfriend back in december, its awesome, and the basil we grew off it was delicious

J

JackKerouac

Sure to Grow media works to replant seeds after the kits are gone.

I defintely support putting a reflective sheet around the edge of the light to maximize the sparse lumens.

cloneX

Thats a great idea but a little expensive, anyone got a link for it?
Does anyone have any pics of the seeded pods? Can you just put your own seeds into these pods/reuse them or do you have to buy more from the company??

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Here's about a month's progress since the start of the thread.

11908Picture_029.jpg

cloneX

Any pics of the pods can they be reused????

This posting rule "users can only post one message every 5 Minutes" is ridiculous

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Get a few more posts and you can post once per minute. The pods can be reused, not sure what you'd use instead of the foam that comes with them though. I don't have any pics of them, they're inaccessible now.

tngreen

Veteran
very nice bounty! this is funny i ran across this thread, i just saw a High Times mag at the gas station an hour ago with one these on the cover growing weed. the caption next to it said something like "micro-hydro" haha.

spacecadet

any one know what the nute values are for the different seeds kits thinking i could use floroanova instead of there ferts

Top Secret

I have one of these things. They are pretty cool. I started with the cherry tomatoes and got rid of them. The flavor in the tomatoes from the aerogarden seeds is crap compaired to ferry morse seeds. From now on Im going to use my own seeds instead of using the aerogarden brand. I now have a mixture of salad greens in there and they are looking pretty good