What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY LED Resource Thread: Recommendations, Ideas, Links, Tips, Tricks, Grows and More!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I may take out the middle lamp, then drill a large hole where is was. Then fit a chimney stack.

Unlike HID's that loose most of their heat by radiating it, Led's loose most of their heat through convection. If I can get that stack working, then most of the heat will be straight up that tube and out at high level, where a carbon is busy vacuuming out the space.

Perhaps the chimney driven by such low heat, will react more to air currents in the room. But I would like to see. If/when it fails, I can swap my chimney for duct, and take it all the way to the filter.

I reckon that's it. 4 groups of 8 per meter. Likely in pairs, screwed to a suspended 60cm long batten. Of if your tent is 2x1 then two battens 1.6 meters long, with 4 groups on each.

Led charts show no IR emission, but your hand tells you it's just theoretical. They do get hot, and hot things radiate heat. It just is. However, air cooled led fittings do work very well. Much better than water cooling hid's I found. It really is getting closer to cold lights.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I've received splitters like that and they are so small it's ridiculous. Also as a matter of heat and draw from the wall, I've been adapting them with 14 wire and replacing the 18 they come with. And for safety adding a ground as well. For just one of those, you've got to have a Reiko sized cabinet but any larger you have to double up or break the brackets up and re-arrange them.

Citizen amber cob

Citizen amber cob

I got this thing from rapid for 18 buck and threw it over a skywalker I have flowering. Its powered at 1200 m.a. They also have a blue one I'm going to prder because I really hate having to solder a bunch of chips together like I have in the past. One and done. Lets see if they supplement my current grow. Cant hurt.

Attachments

• 20190303_063753.jpg
    20190303_063753.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190303_063723.jpg
    20190303_063723.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190303_063643.jpg
    20190303_063643.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1552599857391464522123.jpg
    1552599857391464522123.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 21

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
So the 9 lamp adjustable angle fitting arrived. Screwed in 8 lamps. Gave each about 30 degee's of tilt. That put maybe 1cm between each lamp. Hung at 30cm and saw a nice even 40,000 Lux over the 0.25m I hoped to cover. Instant result really.

The 40k is dependent on multiple fittings, as intended. I saw 40k under the lamp, 20k at the edge of my space, and 0.3k under the next fitting. All within 15%, which equated to a little much in the middle, and a little less at the edges, but I didn't try to adjust the lamps as I know it's just fine tuning.

So that's 480w of household led, split between 4 pods, mounted at 30cm. Giving 40k over a meter. Using one of them orange cased meters. Which measures my veg area at 10k and doing fine. So 40k must be something...

This presumes a light every 50cm. At the periphery this won't happen. I reckon 30k over a single meter is likely.

I have no idea how this relates to grows in the comparison thread, which seems to of gone way off topic now, and stepped back in time to lighting measured in watts.

I didn't fit the central lamp, As I'm drilling out the middle of the fitting for air cooling. This thing looks a bit like an 8 legged tripod with the lamps in. I'm going to take that tripod, and make it a teepee. Skirting round the lamp holders (with gaffer, obviously)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I couldn't leave it alone..
It might not be 'all that'

Pointing the lamps out, too 25cm away, I saw no real difference. Still around 18k at the edge. Though a little more spilled out my zone, and the center dropped to 35k. 18+18 is about 35 so great. But no. The corners. I had about 10k. Now if that were 10k from 4 fittings, yes we have a nice 35k everywhere. But it that is in a corner, illuminated by just one fitting.. meh. 10k corners of a 35k room are dead zones. Lost plants. The fittings need moving towards the corners. Or the corners supported with additional lighting.

Shout out to anyone that remembers any lux figures from the comparisons thread. (It's just a mess over there now)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have measured again. Similar results.
Under the lamp 35k
120mm across, 30k
At the edge, 250mm away, 20k
In the corner, 34cm away, 12k
Under the next light, 500mm away, 7k
Under a lamp 68cm away, 3.5k

4 in a box formation, would measure 58k under each light, and 48k in the middle. The edges 24k and the corners just 12k. I will hang a single lamp and measure how it helps soon.

A formation of 9 lights (1.5x1.5 tent) would see's near 80k under the middle fixture. Though the lamps are only rated to put 50k down.

Air around the lamps was 15c above ambient. The surface (carpet) below was raised 10c in about half an hour.

Just realised, in a grid of 9 fittings, you miss out the middle one. The remaining 8 fittings each give 35 of their own, and receive 7 from each neighbour. 49k lux. While the missing central fitting has it's area receive 7 from the nearest 4 neighbours, and 3.5 from the corner 4. 35k lux. A better match for the 24K boarders and 12k corners I need to look at.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You should start a thread on it. :)

After playing with the Ming & Ben lamps for a bit, I'm not impressed with them for cannabis. These are the COB lights with the built in drivers. I see them being somewhat useful for other projects of mine, just not cannabis. Biggest downside is multiple heat sinks and fans, coupled with low output for the wattage.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I could of by now, and linked to it. I'm about done though, I hope.

A single 14w 1521 measured 10k at 25cm.

I'm not sure anybody talks in lumen or lux on 'the thread' now. It is 3 lamps per foot though. That can't get over 30k on my meter. So 48k and 58k look good, and the 24k acceptable. Which will get better with a lamp in each corner to bring them to 22k.

4 cheap 'lumps' per meter, with a dangle in the corners. Should be on the mark. Making them a useful resource

100w heatsink's with fans are being pulled out of old computers all the time. Even new I have had them for £5, aimed at pentium cpu's. Them cpu's were in the 100w region, and are adequate for 50w led use. I have some passive one's that I extract from. They run at 100w without issue.

I'd def sub that

I'd def sub that

You should start a thread on it. :)

After playing with the Ming & Ben lamps for a bit, I'm not impressed with them for cannabis. These are the COB lights with the built in drivers. I see them being somewhat useful for other projects of mine, just not cannabis. Biggest downside is multiple heat sinks and fans, coupled with low output for the wattage.

Sounds like an awesome make. Id sub if for sure man. Pics too cuz I love to look. Helps me take peooles ideas as I'm more of a visual learner. Lol. :)

Id like to be able to take my builds and make it into one but as of now and the arctic paste I used on every build but 1 (which is junk now( they arent lelavllingl the sinks theyre stuck on. :/

Kwince

Quantum Boards are Harnessed Rays of Sunshine

Quantum Boards are Harnessed Rays of Sunshine

RE: QB 288 V2 RSpec from HLG/Horticulture Lighting Group
:woohoo:
Just put up their 360XL kit and can testify to the BRIGHTNESS of this light and the EASY build. QBs are harnessed rays of sunshine. Now I understand the term light penetration— had NO concept of the idea before. Don’t have words to describe the fullness of this light; maybe ‘penetration’ and ‘fullness’ are synonymous but I’ve not run across any mention of fullness in all the blogs, posts, advertising and specs studied while searching for something better than Chinese blurple.

Safety concerns dictate LEDs, but QB lighting is superior technology for indoor growing, hands down— on paper. AM confident this light will deliver; looking forward to some big ol’ sticky buds. Reading/understanding specs and scientific laws helped me choose quantum lighting but didn’t prepare me for its brightness, its fullness and penetration, its pure sunshiny goodness. Oh my!

Steve (from HLG) answered all my questions about the QBs, drivers, and my footprint design; the guy knows his stuff, verrrry helpful. I WISH the company name had NOT been included in the return address on the shipping package. My definition of discreet shipping is NO identifying marks. I’ll ask ‘em if they can remove company name next shipment. Cuz there WILL be more QBs ordered!

Wonder if anybody else substitutes a canna~esque word like ‘Cannabliss’ - for name ‘Cheryl’ in the insurance commercial featuring Cheryl’s C-Shed? I’d MUCH rather have a CannaBliss Shed than a plain ‘ol Kwince’s Shed, lol. Anyways... I’m a doodler; keep a sketch pad in MY C-Shed. Today’s the first day I’ve got to hang out, check out the new wattage, and doodle a silly stoner thank you for Steve from HLG.

hayday

Veteran
Nice sketch Kwince...I put these HLG Sabers together on some 2" pvc couplings to for a column of light. 480 watts for full plant coverage. Not too technical but simple and functional.
picture.php

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Awesome contributions, thank you one and all. :D RL has been side-tracking me hard these days. Appreciate the continued accumulation of information.