What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finished my run with the 315w CMH. Week sauce!

Easy7

Veteran
I have heard nothing in this thread about what cut grown. Same cut run under hps as cmh? Or was this a new cut?

Also was the light meter a par meter? Lumen and lux isn't what plants use. They use par. Cmh is very efficient in par.

Muleskinner

Veteran
The quality of the buds is great no doubt. If you have high temps or low humidity at the end of flowering cycle, I could see these bulbs helping considerably. If you have limited ceiling height the CMH would be a good choice. I've fried a tiny tip off a nug or two with HPS back in the day. I had the CMH lights in the 23.5" range this grow, moving down to 22" for next run.

why not go closer, it's only 315 watts of heat, I run 400w HPS down within 14-15 inches of the canopy with an open reflector and good ventilation, should be fine with 315w CMH. Might help increase the density of those nugs.

fishbonez

You seem to have the attitude that if you can't do it, nobody can. You are wrong. Unless you're over 60, you have not been growing anywhere near as long as I have. I've seen way too many people who proclaim to be great growers who really don't have a clue. You seem to be one of those.

I've been using 315s for a while now. WITHOUT QUESTION, I'm getting equal weights and better product using 2 of the 315s compared to one 1000w MH/HPS. And all I changed was the ballasts, bulbs and hoods. Here's a real shocker for you - I went from enclosed hoods to bat wings. And I run them close.

Now tell I'm wrong, that I don't know what I'm talking about, so I can make you look like even more of a fool.

Lots of members stating that plenty of people have had good results, great results or people killing it or some other comment uselessly similar about the 315w CMH bulb. I'm going to try to explain this one more time! The CMH did grow good weed, and it looked smelled, tasted fine. What it didn't do was completely obliterate the harvest weight that a 400w HPS bulb can produce! The CMH didn't even compare in weight and bud density. The weight of harvest wasn't the same and thats my point! Not that my grow was trash and un smokable. I didn't get the weight that I got before with same setup using the 400w HPS. Also again I moved the light closer for the CMH because I could see plainly with my eyes it wasn't as bright.

In my real world experience; changing to the 315w CMH didn't out perform a 400w HPS bulb. Don't come here talking about good, great, killing it harvests! Definitely don't be talking about how the 315w CMH is close to a 600w HPS!

I didn't change one thing about my grow setup. I changed bulb/ballast and nothing else and got less weed! How many of these silly comments about good, great, killing it harvests can say that they changed nothing else but the bulb? If they can they haven't, and well I have!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
You seem to have the attitude that if you can't do it, nobody can. You are wrong. Unless you're over 60, you have not been growing anywhere near as long as I have. I've seen way too many people who proclaim to be great growers who really don't have a clue. You seem to be one of those.

I've been using 315s for a while now. WITHOUT QUESTION, I'm getting equal weights and better product using 2 of the 315s compared to one 1000w MH/HPS. And all I changed was the ballasts, bulbs and hoods. Here's a real shocker for you - I went from enclosed hoods to bat wings. And I run them close.

Now tell I'm wrong, that I don't know what I'm talking about, so I can make you look like even more of a fool.

That's my plan for the summer, replace 1ks with 2 315s. Right now I hang a 315 by the 1ks in bloom, works great. The 315s also work great in veg.

fishbonez

I know 630w of CMH covers a 4x4 but does it really equal a 1000w or more like 750w?

I can tell you that I've been running two each in two tents, and had a 1000w in one and a 600w in the other previously. I'm getting equal results (better buds) vs the 1000w, blowing away the 600w.

I was hoping to post a few pics in the defoliation thread, but I don't think my post count is high enough.

Peace,

fish

fishbonez

I have heard nothing in this thread about what cut grown. Same cut run under hps as cmh? Or was this a new cut?

Also was the light meter a par meter? Lumen and lux isn't what plants use. They use par. Cmh is very efficient in par.

Green crack, same cut.

heatherlonglee

I did a plug and play run with the CMH bulb! I just dropped it in and changed up nothing! We all already knew long ago that more points of light is better than one light source. Another two growing points that have been well know for many years is lights closer to plants is better, uncovered hood is better. If you changed any of these up in your grow when you switched to the 315 CMH; your experience wasn't a true unchanged just drop it in and see what happens in the way that I did. The hood needs to be significantly closer to the plants period. Whatever that means to you in practical terms? It means to me that the 315 CMH isn't as powerful as the 400w HPS and nowhere near the 600w HPS. Dropping the light down, ditching the light cover and changing the hood; regardless of price paid for Batwings etc... isn't like what I did.

Same cuts as ran before Blue Dream, Trainwreck, Bubblegum, just a cheap cheap light meter.

Ready4

Veteran
Everybody else but you has had better results with the 315 .
So stay with your HPS if you love them so much. No more discussion needed.
To say the 315 CMH is not "even as good as a 400 hps" is foolish, to say the least.

brown_thumb

I once owned a hammer made of foam rubber. I couldn't hammer a nail worth crap. Just playing devil's advocate regarding tool-blaming.

Of course, this has nothing to do with 315w Philips lights. In fact, I bought 8 of them expecting approximately 3800w worth of MH growth.

trowes

I have high expectations for the chm. I read a lot of reviews that say there is a large jump in grams per watt but all say you need to run multiple lamps to equal a 1000w de if you have a big garden. how much should you expect from 315 watts? I could see a let down from all the hype I've heard on these things. it's impossible to live up to some of the expectations.
Someone told me the other day they saw a test grow out of Colorado where CMH yielded around 30% more in 50 days with less watts. compared to SE HPS finishing in 65 days. I told him that's too good to be true.

I have no experience flowering with this type of lamp yet.I'm currently vegging under a kit from china, 2 315w cmh end to end.From my point of vew the plants look happier but i'm only been using it about a week. I'm sure some of you have seen these. It was hard to beat the price at the time $300usd. I would prefer 2 separate reflectors for better light distribution. But a single 315 cost kit cost as much at the double. Any one have any insight into these kits? let me know what you think /like /hate about em. also iof anyone could link me up some alternative kit single lamp they prefer that are cheaper, or better would be great. What setups are most people using these days? I'm more of a plug and play guy myself. Don't really care to call up electric supply store and chase down ballasts and put em together but welcome all suggestions.

if i was believing all that hype going into a run with a cmh it be hard to live up to those lofty expectations. I always have to manage my expectations. Be it with new beans or new gear. For example before i Purchased this kit I had done some reading on 315w CMH lamps and was under the impression that these things put out almost no heat. Now keeping in mind i have 2 x315w running end to end with about 3 inches separating them. I'm finding that this thing isn't as hot as a 1000w hps but its still throwing a considerable amount of heat.

I think it's good to have a thread where people can point out some of the down falls of this lamp ballast set up.
What kit did you get? I just bought a kit with ballast reflector and bulb from china. Just curious if we got the same

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Voltag...880842?hash=item1a28655b4a:g:~5cAAOSw-0xYYxFL

but recently found way better deals out of china direct 2x 315 sqaurewave ballasts for 140. No reflectors. but like this better because china made reflectors i would assume are mostly for show they don't get into the science of it like the greenbeam guys do.Also getting phillips lamps instead of china lamps. thinking of buying 3 china squarewave ballast then linking them to 6 better quality reflectors. So far this things is a great veg light. started seeds under the cmh a week after my friend started his seeds. Mine are now double the size of his. of course strain and environment are also completely different. his room is to cold and mine is nice and toasty so there are otyhe factors at play.

fishbonez

I did a plug and play run with the CMH bulb! I just dropped it in and changed up nothing!

I find this very interesting! I'd really like to know which ballast you use that can run both 400w HPS and 315W CMH. Didn't change out ANYTHING but the lamp, right? But tried to jump on me because I did?

Please continue to 'educate' us on your incredible scientific experiments.

fish

heatherlonglee

Hey fishbonez! This is from my post on this thread 10 days before your quote?

I didn't change one thing about my grow setup. I changed bulb/ballast and nothing else and got less weed!

The ballast change is implied because I stated it already; it's plainly understood that the ballast is needed?

Now that I've schooled you on how to read prior posts in a thread. I'd also like to point to a few other things I've already schooled you on below, and ask; is the above post and quote the best you can do to poke holes in my comments? I can INFER from your posts that you didn't know or forgot that points of light, uncovered, closer, equals better. Can you INFER from my posts that I changed the ballast? I did state the change previously?

more points of light is better than one light source... lights closer to plants is better, uncovered hood is better.

DemonTrich

Veteran
If 20+ of us that made the switch to cmh ALL had great results, buy YOU had a shitty run when switching...I stand behind my earlier statement of grower error or shit genetics.

DemonTrich

Veteran
Not trying to keep beating you down (op), but please give it a rest. Can't blame a light source if you fuck up a grow. Should have noticed things were going out of wacky long before harvest.