What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New vert build.

Speed of green

This room should hopefully be up and running by april, basically its a two car garage with a room built inside.

The idea is to have 8 vertical cool tubes with 7-8 plants around each light, the ducting will come in through the wall then up through custom made trays and vent through the ceiling and finally outside.

The plants will be in hempy buckets, Manually watered, but with a drip type setup. - more to come on this later.

The room is framed 24" on center, room is 12x17-- 7' ceiling
i have one layer of 1" board insulation, r-value of 6. -is this enough?

there is a 36000btu mini split on order its a mitsubishi mr.slim. Hopefully this should be enough to cool everything.

also i have a 4 burner co2 generator, and a titan controller.

100gpd reverse osmosis

bunch of other odds and ends, rounding up plants to fill this setup, not 100% sure on strains yet.

Basically thats it for now, ill keep this updated with a more accurate parts list as i get everything ordered.

If you see any red flags or concerns please let me know, also all opinions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks
SOG

Foreman000

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'm excited for you. Everything looks nice, neat & clean. Keep up the great work.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
One light per wheel or two?

Plants per wheel seem high. I would drop to six or even five. Five for double bulb bigger plants. Six for single bulb smaller plants.

Since you dont have strains yet try to get some thing like 60% sat and 40% ind. They seem to fill the screens best with out going crazy. Ind tend to have to be trimmed way to much for good yield. Sats tend to get out of hand and can be a bear to train. I like deathstar, blue dream style of growth for mine. They seem to be good.

Speed of green

One 1000w per wheel,with the two gallon hempy buckets i can fit 7-8 plants per light, i decided to maximize numbers to cut down on veg time, you think it'll be over crowded with that many?

I like your idea on strains, i have a blue dream/og cross that will be a candidate, what are your thoughts on running multiple strains? i have only done one strain at a time in the past, to keep things simple. am i over thinking this?

thanks for the input and support.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
If you make your screen mobile mixed strains are ok. This will allow you to move the plants in or out as needed.

When I did my first wheels I did 6 around a 1000 watt bulb. It was tight but do able. I think more than that will just be to hard to control. You will end up shading the edges of yhe plants and end up trimming way more than you need to.

Speed of green

yeah i feel you, i think if i do different strains ill do a whole wheel of a strain and not mix them in partial wheels... i think I'm going to flip these around 24" height, is that similar to what you did? hoping for a 3' plant at the end.

Also for my screens i am thinking of the larger 4x4 mesh so it'll be easier to get my arms in and tie things down.

http://www.vxb.com/392mm-Lazy-Susan-Aluminum-420-lbs-Turntable-p/kit11281.htm

I ordered one of these bearings, i am going to weld it to a large round piece of aluminum that i have laying around and try to make one of my donuts like a lazy suzan so i can access the back plants easier. If its not too much hassle or expensive ill probably do them all.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Honestly I dont remember what size plant is best for a single light. It has been so long since I switched to double bulbs. There are better yields with double bulbs and it is much easier to do.

By this I mean that you can let the buds grow toward the light. Because of the overlapping light shading is reduced. With a single light you have to keep it in a single plane at a certain depth to keep it all lite up. Because of this it is more work to keep a single bulb canopy trained.

A four by four screen should work fine. I use a two by three from home depot. But I work my screens from the front. If you can work the front it is much easier to work on. You wont have to stare at the light so you dont have go wear safety glasses. Plus come harvest you dont have to pull your buds threw the screen.

Buddler

Veteran
This room should hopefully be up and running by april, basically its a two car garage with a room built inside.

The idea is to have 8 vertical cool tubes with 7-8 plants around each light, the ducting will come in through the wall then up through custom made trays and vent through the ceiling and finally outside.

The plants will be in hempy buckets, Manually watered, but with a drip type setup. - more to come on this later.

there is a 36000btu mini split on order its a mitsubishi mr.slim. Hopefully this should be enough to cool everything.

100gpd reverse osmosis

bunch of other odds and ends, rounding up plants to fill this setup, not 100% sure on strains yet.

Basically thats it for now, ill keep this updated with a more accurate parts list as i get everything ordered.

If you see any red flags or concerns please let me know, also all opinions and comments are appreciated.

Nice setup I would go bare bulb cool tubes suck, why not say screw the donuts and run bulbs in a row and surround with plants get that overlapping light perfect space for a stadium better yields IMHO :tiphat: Bud

Speed of green

100gpd reverse osmosis

Nice setup I would go bare bulb cool tubes suck, why not say screw the donuts and run bulbs in a row and surround with plants get that overlapping light perfect space for a stadium better yields IMHO :tiphat: Bud

i don't have the time to veg plants that long, and I've already bought everything, I'm going to run this once how i planned it, if it doesn't work out I'm going to switch it over to a tree/large plant room.

if i go bare bulb down the road, you think the 36000btu ac will cool 8k plus a 4 burner c02 sealed?

Speed of green

A little update, got the lights hung, all ballasts and wiring complete. waiting on the ac and a couple more items to arrive.

picture.php
picture.php

Speed of green

Making progress, mini split installed. trays almost done, ducting almost there too. probably another week or two till plants go in.

picture.php
picture.php

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You may have problems with that mini being there.

First is it blowing on the plants. Because of the fact that they get moisture build up when running they breed mold. You will need to clean that or it will blow on your plants.

Second is it blowing cold air on your plants. That will slow the growth rate some and could cause wind stress.

Third is the drain. Mine kept backing up and draining out of the unit. So you need to be able to clear the drain. This is simple to do. Just blow into the drain line.

But these are just my thoughts on how mine worked in my lung room.

DunHav`nFun

Great minds think alike Ickster....A/C needs to be in the end of the room , and make sure to keep the fool tubes clean to stop as much lumenloss as possible from building up....now...

You are right though in that a 3 ton unit would be overworked with 8 bare bulbs and CO2 burner , not to mention the heatgain from a commercial dehuey for that size room in late bloom , so....

Since you won`t be utilizing light for plants in the whole grow area , precious light will be lost above , below and beside everywhere there`s nothing green to catch it , so concentrate on the sweet spot where the tubes blast sideways best they can....IOW....

When it`s all said and done , I`d say a decent 36 and hopefully 42" sideways canopy to pack as much nuggage in as possible is do able with cooltubes , so as you hoped , less vegtime will be required to attain that height to prevent flarfy popcorn bullshit down where the lights drop off....anyways....

Awesome setup , and hey , nothin wrong with monocroppin with 1 strain at a time , I `ve been preachin it for yrs to learn each strains individual needs an exploit it for every gram yas can squeeze out of em , so keep up the good work , and monocrop each light if multiple strains are wanted/needed since individual donuts can be fed separately....regardless...

Good luck and make shit happen....

Peace...DHF....:ying:.....

Speed of green

really appreciate the input everyone.

i would have loved to put the mini split in the end of the room, my lineset was 10' too short :(

I am thinking of making a shield out of sheet metal to go directly under the mini split, hopefully that will divert the coldest air away from the plants and let it have a chance to mix with the warmer air.

I've been worried about low humidity early in flower, looking into an ultrasonic humidifier.

I am thinking i will try to keep RH around 60% and temps at 78f. 1500ppm co2.

Ive also read people back off the co2 later in flower, is this correct? i am new to co2...

Globule

G'day Spog and nice work on building out your space!
Bloody exciting time to be running it for the first time isn't it?

I'm still learning from the kind people in this forum myself about pretty much everything so cannot offer anything other than for encouragement and say keep at it bro!

I learn something from every grow with the help of people here.
You've put in the hard work to get your space setup and have got some great advice already.

Subbed and looking forward to following your grow.

Cheers!

O

OG Tree Grower

Hey speed o green. If your running co2 your have to give your plant more of everything else if you want it to work and give you 30% more yield. For example.

With co2 you want to run 10 degrees hotter, people say 86c is ideal. I found anywhere between 86 and 90 to be best, You will be feeding at least 2-400 ppm stronger nutes , and your gonna hate this one..., light intensity, without Dialing everything in you won't get the returns from co2 like you had hoped, anything over 1200 ppm is a waste imo, the plants seem to spit it all back out at night , also rh works best at 70, I do t drop to 60 rh until week 5-6 flower. This really helps with growth rates if you want to truely dial your setup

Speed of green

Small update. Room is complete, I've built a "shield" directly under the mini split to keep the cold air from blasting on the plants, Also switching up my nutrients to Jacks hydro + Calnit. going to be feeding 1:0.67 .600 ppm in r/o water.

Have a few questions about veg, most of my plants are about this height, this is 6 weeks from seed.
picture.php

The screen portion is 35" How much longer should i veg? should i fill 2/3 of the screen?

The strain is a blue dream cross of some sort. How much can i expect this to stretch? I think for maximum efficiency i would like the top colas to stop right at the top of the screen, i plan on having the bulb hung at about that height.

Any input on training would be appreciated!

Thanks for looking.

Latest posts

Latest posts