What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Culinary Peppers Thread

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Never take cuttings with scissors. Don't even cut dead flowers with scissors. Use the sharpest knife you got or a scalpel. With scissors you destroy cells all over the place, instead of a clean cut that a sharp blade does.
If you take a cut with scissors, always re-cut it at an angle with a sharp blade before you put it into the cloner. You will have much better results.
Also, use powder cloning aid. Much better than the gel in soil. And usually cheaper, too.
Clones taken from plants that are in the vegetation cycle will have best chances of growing roots. Some plants will throw roots faster if you use a diluted micronutrient fertiliser in the soil/cloner water.

I broke a branch off one of my pepper plants in the early summer.. I put it into some potting soil, placed a plastic bag over it, left it for 3-4 weeks in a window that got a little pm sun, n when I went to add water, it had already rooted... at that point I took off the bag, and its now in my sun room for the winter- I am not sure what pepper it is , as have 7-8 diff ones growing... but it def rooted and is growing...I was surprised how easy it was to root..

Gry

In the morning, a bell, an Anaheim, a Passillia, and a Hungarian wax chillie go into the food processor. Last thing I add is a half pound mushrooms and garlic. I cook them about an hour and then add chia seeds to make it a paste.
Mixed with avacado 50/50, it is a replacement for scrambled eggs in the morning.
Had problems with nausea for ages - Chillies have helped a lot.

asaf

Interesting Gry, the capsaicin.

How do you eat the paste, with crackers, nachos?
What about the chia seeds?

LostTribe

Premium user
i have heard that peppers are not photoperiod sensitive. So what is the quickest way to get them to fruit? what would they do on 24/7? Would 24/7 take longer since I have also read that they take a specific day count to mature? Is night a necessity rather? I have some from a friend in south america that I want to get fruits from as soon as I can.....they say they take 80 days from seed to first harvest.....

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
i have heard that peppers are not photoperiod sensitive. So what is the quickest way to get them to fruit? what would they do on 24/7? Would 24/7 take longer since I have also read that they take a specific day count to mature? Is night a necessity rather? I have some from a friend in south america that I want to get fruits from as soon as I can.....they say they take 80 days from seed to first harvest.....

I have not noticed photoperiod greatly affecting fruit maturation in peppers. However a cold night will definitely slow them down, so keep the temps up during lights out.
The other thing I have noticed growing peppers is to cut back the nitrogen when trying to induce flowering and maturation, too much N increases leaf growth, plant stretch, and does not help speed along fruit.
I use the same nutrients as my flowering cannabis plants and get good results with my Cayennes and Jalapenos.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
my father-in-law used to put a bunch of matches an inch or two under the root ball when transplanting into the garden...not sure what it adds to the soil..

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
What does anyone charge for hot peppers? Or pay for them?

This year I am growing red Caribbean Habanaros, Ghost, Reaper, and Scorpions. I will be selling them at the farmers market. Any info would be fantastic.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
This year I am growing red Caribbean Habanaros, Ghost, Reaper, and Scorpions. I will be selling them at the farmers market. Any info would be fantastic.

hey lester... I too am growing the same hotties + a few others... last year I was at the bank, and the officer waiting on me was a 25yr old paki kid... started bsing and he says he luvs hot peppers... the hotter the better- later that day I brought him about 1 dozen reapers... didn't see him again for 1+ month- when I did see him , and asked how were the peppers.. he tells me hottest things he has ever eaten...

about the same time as the peppers are maturing like gang-busters, I stop by a mexico joint... I tell the owner I have these hotties, and gave him about a dozen... see him the next day, he shows me a picture of the pepper sliced, and he put it on an avocado.. and ate it.... fuk... he says he wil take all I have, so I brought him probably 200 of em... he makes a salsa out of em, and a week later its gone... I'm growing the hot ones as a novelty, as I'm good upto about a habanero ... past those they are toooo hot...

to your original question.... I don't have a clue...

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran

At the market I buy Habs, ghost and scorpions for about 25-50 cents each. However, if you grow more rare peppers you may get more. I have seen fresh reaper for 50 cents to 5$ a piece. The problem is finding people who actually want them. Maybe try selling them at the local hot sauce store? Reapers definitely the money maker from from what I see.

paper thorn

Veteran
got to pg 2 and had to post.
Dawn Patrol's view is pretty much mine.

Jalapeno is about as hot as i care for most of the time and chopolte( i know, i spelled it like Emeril pronounces it lol) is the best pepper flavor out there to me.

Sometimes though, i like a good hot pepper, esp. if i'm going to make tamales. to me the masa can't be hot enough.

Maybe give Nativeseedsearch .com a try.they have lots of OLD southwestern peppers from the tribes around here. i grew out some a few years back.

Mostly though, I'd rather a a good hatch or a poblano and stuff that sucker with cheese and ...anything.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
At the market I buy Habs, ghost and scorpions for about 25-50 cents each. However, if you grow more rare peppers you may get more. I have seen fresh reaper for 50 cents to 5$ a piece. The problem is finding people who actually want them. Maybe try selling them at the local hot sauce store? Reapers definitely the money maker from from what I see.

we have a hot sauce store in town... has hundred's of diff bottles... I went in and asked him last summer if he was interested in some reapers.. his reply...NO... tooooo hot...

the Spanish food market in town sells jalepenos (1.99 a pound) and hab;s at 2.99 a pound... I bought some serano's for cooking last week... bought 5 of em... I think it rang up at 29cents... def cheaper to buy em then to grow/tend em, but not as much fun....

Betterhaff

Veteran
I grew some Caribbean Reds last summer, supposedly a selected red habanero. It was hot. I also grew some in a pot with a couple of long red cayennes. I wanted to hybridize the 2 but never got around to actually manipulating the pollens and blossoms. But there maybe some incidental or random crosses between the 2.

I started some seeds from a couple of the C Reds as a germ test. Got 4 little seedlings. Haven’t started any from the cayennes yet. Will be interesting to see what develops. I don’t think the C Reds are a hybrid and also not sure about the cayennes. Cayenne is one of my favorites for cooking, just the right amount of heat for most, depending on how much used.

LostTribe

Premium user
I am gonna have to pop some fresh aji beans this weekend and get them going early as they did not finish last year staying mostly green and not changing color.

kasvi

anyone else getting ready for spring?
I am!
I am going to grow chili plants outside and inside greenhouse.
Outside plants will be in 3.5l plastic containers and greenhouse plants in 20l fabric containers.
I will use coots soil mix and will make seed mix out of 15 different plant seed and use it as top dressing in 20l containers. In 3.5l containers I will use straw as mulch.
I have germinated following chili seeds:
Caribian red habanero
Trinidad perfume
Serrano
Cheiro roxa
Kaleidoskop
Aji fantasy sparkly white
White habanero
Aji cristal
Yellow habanero

I will buy CGN 21500 seeds because I failed to germinate them.
I have one orange habanero, one chocolate habanero and one lemon trop plant from last year in 6.5 l containers.

Latest posts

Latest posts