What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

wiring 240v to standard 5-15 outlet question

garthvader

Hello i have seen other people/boxes that use the nema 5-15 plugs (with vertical slots) for there 240 hook ups, as in wiring 240 to the receptacle and not needing to get a new cord for there ballasts i know this is possible even the titan controllers use these. my question is where do they find these outlets or do they just use the 120v rated ones ive looked and cant find anything rated for 240 with vertical slots.

sorry it probably worded badly but any help would be appreiciated

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Those are standard 115v outlets.

The blade configuration of electrical outlets are voltage specific as a safety precaution.
It sends a very clear message that something isn't right when someone tries to plug a horizontal arranged plug into a vertically arranged receptacle.

I personally would not recommend doing this as that is not the intended purpose that device was UL listed for. When you use a device outside of it's UL listing's intended purpose, you own the consequences.

I would not be cheap and either hard wire every ballast, buy the right cord, or cut off the 120v cord end off the ballast and install the right 240v cord cap.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
kentucky fried fingers...

ballasts come with a special plug for a reason.
some have option of two modes...120 and 240, switchable using the proper cordage.
not inter-changable.

110/120V will not run a 220/240V ballast...and running (or attempting to run) a 110/120V using 220/240V can be a death sentence.

i don't know much about electricity so i'd be very careful.

i have a question too though.

i have a 240 v heater. can i use the lead to split into multiple outlets?
the heater is hardwired but the lead is exposed.
i want to hook up two outlets and still run the heater when needed.
standard 20/20 fuse.

any help would be appreciated.

peace

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
It's not wise to use a different voltage on a device then what is intended. A 120v outlet being wired to run 220/240v is a mishap just waiting to happen.

I tried it once, I fried the crap out of vent fan one day when I went to plug the fan back in after it had been unplugged for a while. The 220v fried the 110v can fan. All it takes is one second to have a stoner moment.

garthvader

I know the plug configurations are there for saftey but i would be the onlyone knowing of or going in the room and plugs will be very clearly marked maby bright red face plate with warning, so no 120v plug accidentally gets plugged in. of course stoner moments do happen i will probably use 6-15s or 6-20s but would still like to know if anyone does if the strait blade plugs(5-15) can only handle 120v or are just labeled that way to correspond with the plug configuration. they pull the same amount of amps.

and trichrider i would leave the heater alone there on a dedicated circuit for a reason

Latest posts

Latest posts