What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4k donut virgin

Speed of green

After growing horizontal for the last few years i decided to switch one of my rooms to vert. The setup is as follows.

4) 6" cool tubes
4) plantmax 1000w bulbs
4) 1000w dimmable ballasts
2) DIY 4'x8' trays
1) 750cfm 8" fan
25' 6" ducting

The strain is Gorilla glue - unverified genetics, unknown source.
There are 30 plants total, they are in 2 gallon hempy buckets %75 perlite %25 vermiculite
I have been using blue planet nutrients for several years, i think they make a good product for a reasonable price, The plants get fed every 3 days or so.

Basically I'm on day 35, having never grown vertical i don't know if I'm making any stupid mistakes... things have been recently defoliated and buds are swelling nicely, there are 7-8 plants around each 1000w

I am curious how far away the cool tube should be from the buds, They are roughly 10-12 inches from the tube right now and there is no bleaching or burning.

Any pointers or tips are appreciated, thanks for looking

sog

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

MicroRoy

I could not advise about wattage. My need for weed is small.

I still like to follow along with what other people are doing.There is a lot of crossover

There will be people along that match your style.

Miraculous Meds

Doesn't matter what wattage u want to do. its all about managing ur canopy. With the 1k's, id suggest as far back as 27", and as close as 8" to 10" from the cool tube. That seems to be the sweet spot for canopy depth with 1k's from what ive researched. Im a 600w guy, and my canopy depth works pretty good from 20" to 6" to 8" from bulb. If u see light bleach, back it off next round.

No offense on ur ducting rig, but id venture to guess with just 6" flexible duct, cool tubes, and ur manifold for the ducts, u would probably be able to cool them better with open bulbs, with a small fan blowing directly up on the bulb, and exchanging ur room at 2x a minute. But if its workin for ya, more power to u. Nice start my man, keep rockin the vert!

Speed of green

Basically this grow is wrapped up, Yielded a little over 4 lbs from this room, 2.5 from the other horizontal room.

These plants were neglected due to my time being stretched between two jobs, they dried out too much on more than one occasion. Also for the first 35 days of flower all the plants were under horizontal reflector 600's with tired bulbs.

I have 70 new plants vegging, it is a blue dream/ fire og cross i made last year. I didn't have a mother so i seed started all 70, i have no idea what the male/female split will be, hopefully they will be showing pre-flowers in the next few weeks.

It makes me really nervous to run unknown genetics mono-cropped in an 8000w setup like this. my overhead is about $1400 a month in electricity alone.

I need 60 solid keepers to fill both of my 4000w rooms, one room is horizontal/ the other is vert, i am going to veg all the plants under the hps in the horizontal room, probably turn the ballasts down to 50% for a while.

The vert room will change a little, i am getting a larger cfm fan and an in line carbon filter to deal with the smell better (previously i only had one 48x20 in carbon filter for both rooms) Also the screens around the cool tubes were too close, I'm going to put the screen on top of the pots to gain a few more inches.

Other than that i should have more time to manage this grow, i realized how much i am leaving on the table and have made some changes so i can give this grow the attention it deserves.

I feel this 8000w setup should be pushing at least 10lbs per harvest, more like 12 without any hiccups, and to only see 7 has been a real wakeup call to get my shit together.

O

OG Tree Grower

Your goals are a bit low for the gear and time you have invested. I wouldn't be happy until that room made over 16 pounds. But if this is your second run 12 pounds is very reasonable.

What are your environmental conditions like?
What's your feeding program like?

Things I see in the pictures that I would correct in this order

1-Wasted canopy space. Those plants are to short and thin for 1000w lights. You want a canopy 5-6 feet tall and 2.5 feet deep. If your hitting it with lights from both sides 4.5-5 feet of canopy depth is best.

2- Strain. For vertical bulbs, plants with tight colas work best. The ones you have there look like popcorn buds. It's hard to get any weight vertically without plants that grow colas. Try ak-47 and chronic from serious seeds. Good bag appeal and it weighs in heavy. You can feed both strains heavy and they take high temps well.

3-lose the cool tubes they kill light penatration and are the biggest pita ever. I tried them so many different ways cause I wanted them to work so bad but after 2 years I ditched them and I'll never look back- if you do keep them make a Y manifold and put those 6" ducts into a 12" so you can at least get the air to flow evenly through the cool tubes and 12" is lots for cool tubes, bare bulb is 16-20" away for me, one or two bad leafs don't hurt anything, just watch the buds for heat stress.

I always had better luck with a 6 foot outside ring. It's easier to fill without stressing the plants and manipulating them to much and makes it easier to tie off naturally . I line my celing and walls with chicken wire or snowfence so I can easily tie off to anything in any direction .

Why so many plants with a high celing like that? Are plant numbers not an issue where you are? If I have over 8 feet of celing 1 plant per light works best, if you have 8 feet or less 2 plants per light and top them once seem to be the ticket to the most even coverage. But for making money 2 plants per light is the ticket. Veg under 1 k horozintal for 3-4 weeks then throw them in the flower room, one week of veg and flip them, they will fill up nicely

X X X
XOXOX
XOXOX
XOXOX
XOXOX
X X X

O

OG Tree Grower

X X X
O O
X X X
O. O
X. X. X
O O
X. X. X
O. O
X. X. X

Sorry it should look like this but it's hard on a computer, draw it out on paper and it's the best pattern you can come up with for an even number light configuration

O

OG Tree Grower

cant edit and it didn't look like that before I posted, wtf? anyways squish the lights over and the plants up and that's what I was trying to draw out

Speed of green

Well these rooms are up and running again, Things are looking promising so far.

Strains are platinum bubba in the horizontal room and blue dream in the vert room.

wish the screens had filled in a bit more but i guess its too late now, ill know next time that this strain doesn't stretch too much.

Horizontal room is about two weeks ahead of the vert.

Temps are slightly higher than i want in the vert room, 83f - 60%rh at the highest, i hope this doesn't make things fluffy.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Speed of green

Aso had a question for the jacks users. Do you lower the calcnit after stretch? do you up the jacks to make up the difference?

now in using jacks 450ppm calcnit 300ppm total 750ppm.

Globule

Looking good in there Spog!

Plants look nice and healthy. Have you got any trimming strategies in mind?
Only on my 2nd vert grow myself so no expert but advice i was given was to trim off the first three nodes closest to main branch on all laterals.

Seemed quite aggressive when i did it but has worked out really well. Otherwise it would have been badly overgrow.

Good luck with the rest of your grow.

Speed of green

Jacks is a brand of nutrient by J.R. Peters, they make several different varieties, the two i am using are called jacks hydroponic & jacks calcium nitrate. They are the least expensive nutrient i have ever used, and so far the quality is parallel with big name expensive nutrients.

Hey glob, i have thinned out a couple spots in veg, i am waiting till after stretch to defoliate and remove some of the excess. since all of these didn't fill in how i wanted I'm timid to strip how i normally would, especially with unknown genetics. what do you think?

O

OG Tree Grower

Looking good ! The screens don't look to bad, the bud creep might surprise you and fill it all in nicely.

I wouldn't trim many if any branches, just the big shade leaves to open up all bud sites, but make sure you leave a full canopy , even if it's all small leaves. As long as the canopy stays green and doesn't have any gaps or holes you won't slow things down to much with the defoliation.

Good luck !

I drop cal nit completely after stretch, sometimes before depending on uptake up to that point.

I push my veg to an EC of 1, then taper off the cal nit through the stretch while maintaining EC with the 5-12-26, Then I'll PK push off my baseline of 1 up to 1.2-1.5 (strain dependant) I start dropping PK around week 6-7 and start cutting my overall EC.

Jack's hydro and cal nit changed the game for me.

Are you hand watering all of those?!

Last edited: