What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Selling of the Soul

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Hahaha my neighbor has been at war with the moles for years now, it's hilarious that a fully grown thinking adult can't defeat half blind burrowing rats. I think if you go caddyshack, it must attract them or something IME they only make you madder

I would embarrass myself if...I revealed how much sleep I've lost over ground squirrels and gophers. I made a truce with them in the summer of '11...wouldn't kill them...and they fucked me over so hard...so in my face...that I know..they were calling me a punk. Took advantage of me..when I tried to not murder..

Now...yeah...unfortunately...I'll even go out of my way to run a squirrel over...will spear a gopher as fast as a cobra.....it is a sort of madness...one can't make judgment...unless they've been through the wars..locked onto the varmint cong..very true.

Terminate with extreme prejudice. I just can't do the catch and release thing. I've gone the extra mile..to fortify everything...I warn them "I catch you doing that..yer dead"....but bottom line...I have no mercy for them...grant no quarter...fuck those things to hell

tehmaster

I would embarrass myself if...I revealed how much sleep I've lost over ground squirrels and gophers. I made a truce with them in the summer of '11...wouldn't kill them...and they fucked me over so hard...so in my face...that I know..they were calling me a punk. Took advantage of me..when I tried to not murder..

Now...yeah...unfortunately...I'll even go out of my way to run a squirrel over...will spear a gopher as fast as a cobra.....it is a sort of madness...one can't make judgment...unless they've been through the wars..locked onto the varmint cong..very true.

Terminate with extreme prejudice. I just can't do the catch and release thing. I've gone the extra mile..to fortify everything...I warn them "I catch you doing that..yer dead"....but bottom line...I have no mercy for them...grant no quarter...fuck those things to hell

I know of the madness, in order to battle 3" moles he has an apparatus called a mole trap , it's more like a chain tensioned bed of spikes to shoot into their tunnel when they crawl over it. As you ramp up your efforts, they increase theirs but at least you get SOME satisfaction.
I use an old radio antennae with a broadhead arrow duct taped to the tip for things a little bigger than bugs, just spear em like you said.
I know the struggle, to watch it from 3rd person, reminds me of caddyshack every time , cause it's like they know just how to piss you off juuuust a little more

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Here's some relevant pictures..

Here's some relevant pictures..

...took these this evening. My back beds...sitting on top of the 1/4" galvanized hard wear cloth.

These have a couple salad mixes and some peppers (can't see the peppers)

The big back bed now has a bunch of new stuff up and going...bush beans, more beets, more squash, 4 rows of carrots (2 rows are just sprouts)...all planted on this 1/2

a man builds a fortress...and never should he be so bold as to say.."I welcome your attack...rodents.".....because I'll tell you

I've spilt lots of blood over these things...and still...they gamble their lives...weigh their chances...at breeching the vessel.

I have air guns by my door...a bucket of gopher traps..a have a heart trap (no mercy though)...a metal rod sharpened into a spear (a skate board wheel serves as the handle..just push the rod forward)...

saw on Youtube (you bet I research varmint combat) these dudes pumping propane down gopher holes...and igniting them. I haven't gone that far....but who knows?

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Under 45 degrees this morning..........maaaaaaaannnnn come on!!!! What? Frost next??????????????? Makes for good sleeping weather....but not growing weather

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Putting a string of under 45 degree nights together. Days blast....nights retard

Plants don't know if they're coming or going...and I'm right there with them. The dog days of August....someone wake up the dog

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im mildly envious of such cool temps...only mildly though....good blast of monsoon rain here,getting set to plant fall crops...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Tuna Ferts

Tuna Ferts

I've had this 5 gal bucket full of Tuna heads/tails and water...sitting for about 3 days

Dug a hole in my back bed (in a section where I had been growing Chard since April)...and dumped the slurry in

Covered it over with 4-6"s of medium...and will be planting some more lettuces in this spot

* Nights are still going cold on me......dragging me back

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ha! thats funny,first time i ever tried to grow pot we stuck a seed in a trouts mouth and buried it,you know,native american lore and all that,thats how they planted corn, right? lol

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
ha! thats funny,first time i ever tried to grow pot we stuck a seed in a trouts mouth and buried it,you know,native american lore and all that,thats how they planted corn, right? lol

Sure. Fish is good stuff. Works outstanding as a fertilizer...but it's nasty to work with. Making fish tea is especially gross....that's why I prefer to just bury the stuff...plant over it. The fish I buried today...could have you gagging...flies were swarming

I'm vegan except for fish. Difficult to turn down fresh fish....especially if you like it raw. I ate so much sashimi the other day...I could hardly move.

* This down time from running has been really bothering me. Nothing I can do...but let myself heal. I'm going to go for a run later today...just to see where I am..basically make sure I'm not irritating my 'roid.

Ordered a new pair of shoes...Merrell "Ascends"...their latest effort into padding up a minimalist shoe (for higher miles and tougher terrain)....always loved my previous Merrell shoes...so happy to give these a go.

** Planning another run binge for the 2nd 1/2 of August....should be good to go by then...give the new shoes a beating

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Yeah....a bike seat would not be good.

Just one of those things...putting tons of pressure on the lower 1/2 sometimes the body stresses. I've ordered some herbal pills (witch hazel is the main ingredient)...and not doing much...for days I've been down..just kind of not doing any lifting and taking it easy.

Not the 1st time I've had to deal with this issue...but I guess..if that's all I have to complain about...it's not so bad. I'm way better off than I was...a few days ago

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no doubt,all things considered you will no doubt heal up fine,probably your body was telling you to rest up anyway...when you push hard like you have been sometimes all it takes its one or two days of poor diet,and i can tell you there are very very few endurance athletes who can perform day after day on a strictly vegan diet...we learned to run to chase down prey....maybe run down a jackrabbit every once and a while and kill and eat it...just add a magnesium fire starter tool and a small packet of salt to what you carry cause frankly jackrabbit taste like crap most of the time....rattlesnake however is delicious...im not advocating killing rattlesnakes by any means except in a survival situation...but if you happen to see one freshly run over it is damn fine eating...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
I've eaten me some rattlesnake...and it is pretty good. Funny you mention rabbits...as I like to try and run them down. Just trying to stay in line with their bounces..is challenging..makes me have to move on the fly. I've gotten close a couple times...only on young ones though. I could catch a young one...if I really tried.

I'm gearing up for a run right now. Going to go out...go easy...run for an hour or so. Being my head is now shaved...more worried about frying my scalp than aggravating the 'roid. If I feel good...I'll jam for another hour.

I've gotten to the point...I no longer like wearing shades...no longer like wearing hats or headbands. Barely wear shorts...I'm still in cut off board shorts...cut to the point they are more a kilt than shorts. If I didn't wear jockeys underneath...I'd be freeballing. I don't like wearing shirts either.

When I get these new shoes...and I'm sure I've got this thing subdued...I'll start on a consecutive day binge. Just a week off the trails..and I'm feeling weak...feels like I haven't been out there...forever. So fucked up...how training works.

Madjag

Veteran
Don't go too far.....

picture.php

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Since I'm showing Gross Fish parts..

Since I'm showing Gross Fish parts..

I'll show you a gross hoof

^ Miles and miles..over rocks and mountains...feet start changing into something more hybrid...more primitive...pure devolution.

So...I was saying: waiting on the Ascends...for sure need new shoes. The Lone Peak 1.5 now have 240 miles on them...traction is gone. Uppers held up well.

^ Ran for almost 2hrs...ran with a lot of aggression...legs had a week off...so the power was all there. Dug deep into the uphills...leaned way back on the descents...attacked every rock I could...attacked every section..fluid at times...out of control at others

I've lost confidence in the traction of the shoes..changes the way I run...changes the way I attack a section...real slippery now...feet sliding out a lot...can't trust the rails or predict where they'll stick...more a reckless abandon style running...fun for a while...fun on the softer stuff...but I'd rather have traction

* When you spend a lot of time alone..running trails..over the miles...through the passage of time...you get to know your body. It's really amazing..the entire design blows my mind.

You also realize your legs and arms are individuals. Each limb has habit...memory. When you are working...staying in core form...you have to know how to correct your limbs. As they tire..they start doing different things...but as you get to know them..you can stay ahead of the curve..understand when to perform a correction...what makes it happen...when it's going to happen

I consciously set myself up for ascents...and descents...trying to use breathing control to get everything...where it needs to be..to get the most out of my motor and suspension. When you can get your foot strikes in rhythm with the terrain so that you don't have to focus on them....and everything is in form..man...it's like nirvana...you are flying up or down...doesn't matter. When I'm there...I am flying..effortlessly...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Coldest August I can remember...

Coldest August I can remember...

night after night of sub 50 degree temps..this morning it was below 40 degrees

looks at a patch of tomatoes and peppers

^ hot days (80's-90's)...but the nights retard them. I've cut down on watering..as they are not drinking like they were...and I'm signaling the tomatoes to kick out the fruit...and get them ripe.

Here's how the Orange Strawberry tomato screen is developing

^ no problem getting up and through the screen...but the plants are not fruiting all that much...so the screen may well...turn into nothing..but a waste of effort. Seriously starting to run out of time...feels like fall is already here.

Fuck it....summer has passed me by...time to start cutting firewood

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i already yanked the bulk of the garden and started prepping for fall,about all i have left standing are thai peppers and tomitillos...got beets carrots squash and broccoli planted,lettuce and scallions coming in,cantaloupes are about ripe....and almost have enough stuff in the compost pile for it to actually fire off...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
1st "warm" night of the month

1st "warm" night of the month

...wow it wasn't below 50. A warming trend on the way???....my my...I do hope for

purple jalapeno pepper ripening into red

Chinese 5 color peppers starting to go rouge with their shades

* my body is all fucked up...aching up a storm. In a couple hrs..I'm going to hit the trails....and run this discomfort away

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i almost always find no matter how creaky and lousy i may feel 5-10 minutes after i get on the bike i feel much better...grabbed a 2 hour ride today,not sure how far,just an easy pedaling day on the flats...got dehydrated,rode out a wave of wicked cramps,slowly getting the bike fit dialed in better,slowly crawling my way up the ladder,discovering that im going to need to start eating ahead of the rides and while im riding,i keep hitting the calorie wall,not the i cant go on anymore...the legs just lose their snap after 2 hours in the saddle...but thats actually not to bad for 3 weeks with the odometer on the new bike,342 miles already,which will seem low soon enough...getting a good balance of hill time in...i feel like im on track to be able to start going on some trips soon,im sure i could now,but in another 4-6 weeks i will be able to do it without it sucking...should be able to blast out 30-40 mile rides most every day without it being the only thing i do all day...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
I find that beyond 2.5 hrs of running hard...I need to fuel up. Since I'm not running with water or snacks..I'm basically plowing for all I'm worth within a 2.5 hr window. Beyond that...I need to carry supplies.

I've been running more aggressively...rather than running the longer distances. I really don't want to put the water belt back on...

* Ran some off trail today....steep loose hill sides...then did all I could on trail..and even a bit of pavement. What good did it do me? Hard to say...as I was running sloppy..and hurting the entire way