What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Selling of the Soul

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just put in a 4x4 pallet of flagstone the other day,didnt even really have more than an outline of an idea what to do with it....it all came out pretty darn nice if i say so myself,and i just did! one of the neighbors asked me who did the design work...i just sort of laughed....the chinese designer bigbong load...

i had one of those schwinns when i was a kid,but with the really super long front fork and the rad shifter,think it even had fake chrome pipe on it....was green though....

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
i just put in a 4x4 pallet of flagstone the other day,didnt even really have more than an outline of an idea what to do with it....it all came out pretty darn nice if i say so myself,and i just did! one of the neighbors asked me who did the design work...i just sort of laughed....the chinese designer bigbong load...

i had one of those schwinns when i was a kid,but with the really super long front fork and the rad shifter,think it even had fake chrome pipe on it....was green though....

All those bikes are collectors now. I used to know a dude...who had a garage full of mint bikes...from that era. The 5 speed (shifter on the frame) green choppers...those were choice. Cool ass bikes. He had a few of those....and some more rare ones..very similar. The paint schemes alone....are worth collecting.

Also had the best private..skateboard collection..I've ever seen. Made mine look stupid. Only collection better than his...is at Skate Lab..up in Simi Valley.

I still collect skateboards....as I've always preferred...boards to bikes. My 1st board...still had clay wheels..and I still...have scars from those wheels getting locked up...on pebbles or side walk cracks...had a serious concussion from planting my head..into the driveway. Puking all over the place.

* Waiting on this T-Cell to develop....eating bean burritos...sipping Yerba Matte tea (with Chia seeds added)...then I'm going for....a hard push up the mountain...run in the down pour.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
JM you've been treating your body like a temple indeed...challenging physical routines and wholesome nutrition cannot be underestimated! Now and then I look back to when destruction was my daily diet, and mostly amazed how the body responds to what's put in. Also a reminder that a few weeks or month of poor lifestyle decisions and ill be back to jelly donuts!

Getting on in years, it's taken time to accept limitations. The muscles have so much response left to give, and the respiratory gets me thru without question. But every connective tissue is at its limit, not at once, but in consecutive order of sorts. Why does my left thumb hurt like crazy, elbows ache and a Charlie horse suddenly in the left thigh?

Rest, is the my greatest ally, but I don't often accept the assistance! Hate taking days off from exertion, but its not a luxury....total necessary to keep from getting really sidelined!

And if I can't find a public restroom, things get creative. Downing two pints h2o every time I pass the sink...always something on tap ready to flow!

Stay up JM, be very well and peaceful! Nice pathway you've chosen

I'm going to beat myself...until I die. There are no advantages to growing old...except that...I care less about what happens. I'm good with the time I've had here...just want to go out...on my feet. Fuck the rest of this noise..I have no worry

back to basics...childlike behavior...and all its freedoms. The older I get...the less I know. Physical exertion...tells no lies...is the most pure wall...to come up against. I don't need my mind...to tell me that. You can't get that information from technology...only from the will...to get there. You either have it...or you don't. You either make it...or you don't.........that simple

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Rainy Day Peppers and Goat Legs

Rainy Day Peppers and Goat Legs

The pepper plants being cultivated in...3 gal smart pots...are still..way out in front. Growth and fruit production is superior. Today and yesterday...they were pounded with heavy downpours

Purple Jalapeno...killer plants...ornamental...like growing a DJ Short expression. Active plants...pushing fruits (fruits ripen to be red)

Some fruit off a Corno Di Toro....waiting for color..to see which version I have here

5 color Chinese...still putting out its fruit in a purple base...but will ripen in various colors

* Like the tomato plants...I have pepper plants stuck all over the place. Some are rocking out....some are not doing..as well. Different locations...different mediums...and all that kind of stuff..but I prefer growing in smart pots of Happy Frog...that seems the best way. The mobility of the plants...a great thing

So not to get all weird...but this next little piece..is about my (mostly) vegan diet...and the ability to build/repair muscle...maintain strength and endurance. Going to touch on...how diet and trail running has changed my body...over the last few years

I only run now....get in the waves..when I can...but mostly I run the mountains. I regularly bust out sets of push ups, pull ups, and dips...but do no abdominal work...no weights....no gyms. Lots of stretching...but nothing organized...and in fact

...I find the best way to stretch...is to do the activity. I'm not into poses (yoga)...I'm into freestyle chaotic flexes...exaggerated reaches..stalls...and stretching through quick bursts of speed...finding the unpredicted movements...far more real...breathing control far more essential (especially dealing with hits)

the concept for my short frame...to make me a better...more efficient/powerful runner: cut down upper body weight...lean down as far as my body lets me (without losing too much strength/endurance)...and build a torque based platform..on my bottom half.

I eat some fish...but otherwise..stick to a plant based diet. Lots of greens...flax...buckwheat..pinto beans...basically anything that keeps my body pH base...not acidic. Animal proteins and sugar...are very acidic...and a big reason why...I avoid them. I've been told numerous times...about the need for animal proteins..to build/repair muscle quickly..but I don't think that...correct.

Lately...I've had a couple people...tell me..that I was getting too skinny. Of course...these people are more your typical american eaters...lots of meat...lots of process..lots of sugar...but they are right about me looking...skinny

I used to be more heavy in the shoulders..bulkier in the back, chest, and arms....thicker through the mid section...even my neck was bigger

In the last few years...now in my late 40's...I've started to make the transition from a bulkier/heavier build...to a leaner build. I've leaned down everywhere...with the exception of my thighs..and in my lower calves

^ The mountains I run require...goat legs. I'm consciously designing my lower half...through pure form...to fit the environment and the sport. Maybe...and actually...probably...I'm a bit off my nut....but it's a preoccupation of mine...to always be in perpetual locomotion..to be constantly making adjustments and experimenting on myself. Fucking life would be a drag...if it were not for the chances at change.....run run run run

got in some killer hills...blinded by rain..like running in the waves....all to myself..drinking from the sky...feeling the electrical charge.... and chaotic...unstable atmosphere

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Experimenting with...

Experimenting with...

Chia seeds...soaked overnight in the fridge...in coconut milk

For sure...Chia seeds are a great running fuel. My diet often is made up of mushy...or liquid foods. I find them easy to digest...they go down easy... and don't dry me out.

I don't feel like eating solid foods...a couple hrs after...or a couple hrs before...hitting the trails. The quicker the digestion...the obtaining of fuels..the more available..the better the body...can put them to use. Especially in heat...I don't crave solid foods...it's all about the liquids.

* Vaporizing high grade cannabis and running.......I'm an advocate. I vaporize before every trail session. I'm designing my very own (personally tailored) hybrids...using the mountains as the proving grounds. Herb does not make me...physically...a better runner....but it works..as a...motivator. It makes me want to go...and can take my mind away..during recovery.

** I'm beat up a lot of the time. I'm not saying that...the trails don't take their tolls on my body. It's a vicious sport...but so based in form...that you can learn to manipulate terrain and body both. I will tell you this: If you do not learn..respect..and adhere to proper core based form...you will suffer badly..and will get injured often.

I cramp at night...I ache in the mornings...cut up...bruised up...tore up.....but I'm...up for it. It's a discipline...a lifestyle. Keeps me in check

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sweet juiced up jeebus man! look at those frickin thighs!! dude,serious,i would bet you would dig some track bike racing...good god,im experiencing leg envy! lol

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
The Wife...

The Wife...

she's down in...the back bed...harvesting more Golden Beets

I'm a beet growing fool...and we're being overgrown...with Golden Beets alone. I have other patches of beets...different varieties.....different ages...different locations (and the same location)....but I don't know why...as

she is going to have to...start pickling these..to keep from wasting them. The picture does not indicate...just how many..there are left to harvest. Literally pushing themselves out of the ground.

* Beets...they are wonderful...nutritious plants...but...they are full of sugar. It's best to limit their intaking. Easy to grow...as long as..they have a nutrient rich...loamy soil...with no obstructions. Beets make a gardener look good.

** I can not lie...I grow all this stuff..but my wife..does most the processing. Depending on what is being harvested...days can go by..

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
sweet juiced up jeebus man! look at those frickin thighs!! dude,serious,i would bet you would dig some track bike racing...good god,im experiencing leg envy! lol

It's funny dude...they just started blowing up...over the last few years. I used to be a gym rat...did all the squats..all the raises...all the curls..all the lunges..all those leg work outs...but

they never blew up. I'd take in high amounts of animal proteins..added supplements/protein shakes...all that weight lifting stuff...and never was able to really...build up the legs. Now...I don't do any of that stuff..and they seem to keep building. Stronger now...than ever before...I mean...a noticeable difference in power.

It's the same with my abs...leaned down...ripped into muscle groups. Upper body wise...don't have the same mass...but what is there..is there...nothing wasted...all strong. It may surprise many folks how...trail running actually takes a lot of overall strength...from every part of the body.

But still...it all comes from your core. Lifting weights and all that...isolates groups..where as...working out of your core...spreads the wealth around. Core requires Balance...and Balance is Strength.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:lurk:
^I wish i could make this guy eating beets out of a 5 gallon bucket

great thread, thanks for sharing

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's funny dude...they just started blowing up...over the last few years. I used to be a gym rat...did all the squats..all the raises...all the curls..all the lunges..all those leg work outs...but

they never blew up. I'd take in high amounts of animal proteins..added supplements/protein shakes...all that weight lifting stuff...and never was able to really...build up the legs. Now...I don't do any of that stuff..and they seem to keep building. Stronger now...than ever before...I mean...a noticeable difference in power.

It's the same with my abs...leaned down...ripped into muscle groups. Upper body wise...don't have the same mass...but what is there..is there...nothing wasted...all strong. It may surprise many folks how...trail running actually takes a lot of overall strength...from every part of the body.

But still...it all comes from your core. Lifting weights and all that stuff...isolates groups..where as...working out of your core...spreads the wealth around. Core requires Balance...and Balance is Strength.

im getting there,cycling shapes the legs differently of course,and pulling the trailer is a hella good core workout,especially since its loaded too high half the time,im getting used to it enough that i often forget its there right up until it starts shoving me around...been a good thing to have,hard to explain just how much more convenient doing stuff is now...stepping up the mileage now,sad to say my motivation for going out to ride just for the sake of riding got subsumed by the need to just do day to day stuff...easy enough to rattle off 100 miles a week that way,but i need to be averaging over 200 miles a week if i want to hit 10,000 miles this year...just put the bike comp on last week,just notched off the first 100 miles today,i want there to be at least 1000 miles on the odometer by the end of next month,by the end of september when it starts cooling off i should be to 2500 miles...by then i should have all my systems down and be able to pedal for a solid 4 hours at a stretch and cover in the 50-60 mile range in that time with a load...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
im getting there,cycling shapes the legs differently of course,and pulling the trailer is a hella good core workout,especially since its loaded too high half the time,im getting used to it enough that i often forget its there right up until it starts shoving me around...been a good thing to have,hard to explain just how much more convenient doing stuff is now...stepping up the mileage now,sad to say my motivation for going out to ride just for the sake of riding got subsumed by the need to just do day to day stuff...easy enough to rattle off 100 miles a week that way,but i need to be averaging over 200 miles a week if i want to hit 10,000 miles this year...just put the bike comp on last week,just notched off the first 100 miles today,i want there to be at least 1000 miles on the odometer by the end of next month,by the end of september when it starts cooling off i should be to 2500 miles...by then i should have all my systems down and be able to pedal for a solid 4 hours at a stretch and cover in the 50-60 mile range in that time with a load...

It's good to set milage goals...or time goals..gives you a reference and something to shoot for. Living on a bike...is different..than recreation on a bike. That is not easy. Funny how distance and time changes..when you are configuring your daily schedule...and the amount of material...you must haul.

I'm loosely keeping track of milage...but it's more for..seeing how many miles I can put on the shoes...before I need to change out. Miles to me are less important than...the terrain/weather they are done in. A flat 15 miles in 65 degree temps...is a world away from....a hilly 15 miles in 95 degree temps.

I attempt not to put pressure on myself...concerning training. I mix it up...don't keep anything exact...set new goals..when I become aware...that my old goals have been exceeded...but mostly...just run how I feel like running...and where/when I feel like running. I don't cheat myself...or the mountains though...I go out to work...it's generally...not pretty.

Endorphins are so highly addictive. That's why you hear me say..I feel better when I'm running...than when I'm not. I hurt when I run...but ache when I'm not running. The hurt is better than the ache...but aching is all part of the recovery process.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup,i only managed about 12 miles today,but i hauled a 65 lb bag of medium,4 smart pots,2 packs of six foot stakes and some ladybugs home on one trip,then 5 ten foot sticks of pvc,some fittings,6 small cactus,2 budalia plants,a bag of cactus medium,a bag of happy frog veggie food...even got both loads up over 20 mph...tomorrow im going to tackle a loop route that will be about half dirt road,i think it will be about 25 miles...the new surly isnt what you would call a quick bike,but it is implacable,as long as the pedals are turning it just sort of mows over everything in its way....thinking its time for an ipod of some sort...once i get warmed up my brain basically shuts down and i just turn into a motor...real easy to zone out on this bike and just flow...or grunt as the situation demands...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Ran with the wife

Ran with the wife

She doesn't run trails alone..I couldn't get comfortable knowing she would be out there without an..extra security blanket. A couple months ago..she tripped up..and fell hard...fucking up one of her ankles. Though she made it home...it is now..just finally healed up.

Anyway...I ran her up an old 2 track dirt road...only about 3 miles...but a pretty healthy climb. Decided to break out an old pair of Merrell Trail Gloves...1st generation shoes...well engineered shoes...the only uppers I haven't destroyed.

No padding in these...at all. Hadn't run in them..in like a year and a half. There are so many miles on them...you can see..where I spread Shoe Goo all over the bottoms. Super light shoes..but there is no way...I can haul ass in them. Especially downhill...you want to protect your feet...and tend to be real picky where they land. Believe me...you can feel every rock..every pebble..every stick...

* what minimalist shoes do is...keep you in proper form. You can not heel strike in shoes like these...you must run on the fronts of your feet. These shoes will make your feet and your legs strong. There is no way to cheat while wearing non padded shoes. If you cheat proper form in them....you'll get hurt. I learned a lot from Merrell Trail Gloves....over a 9 month period...where I ran only in them...I got broken down..then built back up..into a different style of running. I made huge gains...and took some major poundings earning those gains. But...I reinvented myself....learned how to manipulate terrain

Came home...spent the rest of the morning...tying up tomato plants. Finally starting to get some of them up to around 4' tall...keeping them well tied...anticipating the weight of the fruits..and hard winds

The Orange Strawberry plants...I have set to screen...are almost tall enough....few more days...and they should be getting trained into position

Other Orange Strawberry plants I have going..in different locations..being trained onto stakes and/or various cages

Some Chadwick Cherry plants getting into their stretch

So with a little grace...some cooperating weather...the next month should be fruitful

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
The Flow is Back Again

The Flow is Back Again

More monsoonal flow...the clouds unleashing more rain..can't complain

1st tomatoes of the '13 season were picked just a bit ago

^ Chadwick Cherry (aka Camp Joy)....plants will be very productive and damn tasty to boot////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ozark Giant Bell peppers...squat plants...spitting large fruit

An underachieving mixed patch of Riesenstraube and Ingegenoli Gigante Liscio tomato plants (german and italian heirlooms)

^ Christ...they are moving way slow. This is actually a prime grow spot...and I've had major successes here..in the past. Unless these plants really pick up the pace and/or we have an extended season...I'm not very hopeful of...setting any personal harvest records.

* It's not advisable to plant tomatoes in the same location season after season...without changing mediums. I get away with it...because I switch out mediums...but in the above case..I've got to wonder...hard to say what the issues are..but perhaps...I should have not pushed another season...out of this spot

** Weather has again...changed my work schedule. I'll not be able to work...so...I'll hit the trails and train. Boohoo

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
The Hardy and The Lame

The Hardy and The Lame

I've grown Golden Jubilee tomatoes (last season)...and they were not my best growers then...but this patch is an embarrassment

^ Granted I didn't put them in the best of my soils...and true..they are not in my best location...but these stunted runts...are really irritating me. Plants that irritate me...generally get snuffed...as I'm not one to cultivate my time and space into plants I don't enjoy. I restrain myself from killing these however...as they are fruiting and I don't need the space.

I'm helping them...keeping them staked toward the sky...and they are going to get some amendments lavished upon their..scrawny selves. I see no new flowers...not much in the way of interest..in seeing my garden next season

* I have another patch of Golden Jubilee in a different location...and though they are...looking better this patch...they still...do not sweeten my resolve//////////////////////

Orange Strawberry tomato plants...on the other hand..now..yes...these are blasting fun

^ These are the plants being screened. You can see that..indeed...they've started to voyage into screen space. Every patch of Orange Strawberry...is going off...blasting growth/flowers/fruits. Extremely productive growers.

* I'm waiting on a delivery of 1" X 1" 8 foot redwood stakes. Many of my 6' stakes are being overgrown..so time to add the 8'ers

** String of nights in the mid/lower 50's...slowing me down

*** Days are well into the 80's lower 90's..winds have been mellow...skies clear...RH 15-20

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup,my maters schooled me hard this year,first time and all,much enthusiasm but little practical knowledge,made some kick ass sauce,but now the birds are getting all my ripe fruit so ima bout to yank them and clear the way for fall crops,butternut and beets and carrots...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Mine are all still...mostly green. I'm getting there...it's like this every summer season...I don't score until August/September. Started from seed in April...it's a long long haul...with lots of variables.

Kills me...my friends 1000' below have more ripe tomatoes than they know what to do with...and me..with all this effort....chugging along..praying for just a modest harvest. My soul has been sold 10X over by now...year after year of stubborn salvation

My garlic is kill though...the wife sold some through her network of clients...at least to make some of my investment back. I sure can't eat it all...bags and bags of the stuff. People praise my garlic...lol...so easy to grow...but hey...I'll take the praise.

beam of light

Kills me...my friends 1000' below have more ripe tomatoes than they know what to do with...and me..with all this effort....chugging along..praying for just a modest harvest. My soul has been sold 10X over by now...year after year of stubborn salvation

were there "powerhouse" fires torching your hills recently?

i ask because i like to volunteer/stay at this organic farm(not there right now) in the sierra pelona mountains(completely legal vegetable farm) and i feel like we're neighbors(and brothers).

tehmaster

** Gophers. I must put forth a lot of effort in keeping those thingys in check. No joke...ground squirrels and gophers...no mercy...them or me...we don't get along...though one season I tried (they just fucked me over anyway)...totally caddy shack

Hahaha my neighbor has been at war with the moles for years now, it's hilarious that a fully grown thinking adult can't defeat half blind burrowing rats. I think if you go caddyshack, it must attract them or something IME they only make you madder

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
were there "powerhouse" fires torching your hills recently?

i ask because i like to volunteer/stay at this organic farm(not there right now) in the sierra pelona mountains(completely legal vegetable farm) and i feel like we're neighbors(and brothers).

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43848&pictureid=1116090&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43848&pictureid=1111333&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I'm down by the border. We had a fire on one of our local mountains...didn't really get close to me (winds were not in its favor)...but if you go into the "a world on a string" thread...I took a picture of the header..while I was working....it did some damage

Killer man...you run some then...nice. Gardening and running serve each other...no doubt...good stuff.