What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My little Urbstead (urban homestead)

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im learning to really hate bermuda grass,i may have found something that will choke it out with a bulbine fructosa,that thing spreads like crazy in the same way with a rhizome

captain planet

Veteran
I've spent 3+ years trying to get a 10 x 10 postage stamp of a front lawn to be nice regae grass. The battle continues!

Cut some dill tonight to top some baked potatoes... Can't wait ! Much more to come!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Cap-Have you saw the bumper sticker that says "tear up your lawn and plant food"? One of my favorites.

Edit: if your front lawn is 10x10 then your backyard should be a whopping 20x20. Check out this cool idea I saw in a magazine.
picture.php

View image in gallery

captain planet

Veteran
That's pretty cool Bio, is that from a Storey book? Most of the books I buy are storey books I originally found in the backwoods home magazines.
The basic country skills book is a major resource for "everything"

My Rainbow chard is going nowhere real quick. Something is eating.... Most of it :(.... Tomatoes are waist high already..... Strawberries ooooh wait till you see the pics , there's fruit, it's green but it's fruit! Peppers just went in cpl days ago. I have a Canna flower (canna Lilly) that a client gave to me and that's pushing ground now, apple tree leaves aren't really getting any worse . Still have to get black beauties and yello str8s in the ground and need to clear a 10x10 at * A family members property for some winter squash... Prob basic acorn/spaghetti/butternut..... Weekend so I'm gonna try to upload some new pics for y'all :)

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Tomatoes waste high! Was gonna say pics or it ain't so, till I read it was your weekend and your going to give it a go. Acorn squash is the bomb.

Edit: the pic. actually came out of the latest issue of mother earth news:)

captain planet

Veteran
Hmmm FULL " flower" moon tonight for all you LUNAtics out there! Good time for planting! Goin to a bday party today pic update tmrw to give the lazy Sunday's something to look at.

captain planet

Veteran
Lol Unc I have an ~40 gall trashcan flipped upside down with one inch holes all over it. When it gets full to the top and I can't get it to settle down any more with a shovel, I lift the can up and usually have a good 15/20 lbs of ready to top dress material. Mostly fruit + veggie scraps, eggshells, coffee grinds, weeds, leaves etc. I'll try to do a pic set of the whole shebang!

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
must be nice to have water.....i got a barrel composter here,just havent read up on what to do with it yet...

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Lol Unc I have an ~40 gall trashcan flipped upside down with one inch holes all over it. When it gets full to the top and I can't get it to settle down any more with a shovel, I lift the can up and usually have a good 15/20 lbs of ready to top dress material. Mostly fruit + veggie scraps, eggshells, coffee grinds, weeds, leaves etc. I'll try to do a pic set of the whole shebang!

Please explain..............do i just drill holes in trashcan and use it as a composter. Im into making a simple 'cheap' composter here. Can I just use an old trashcan?

Your tomatoes are looking good. Im hoping mine will catch up. :tiphat:My garden has some good spots and some bad spots. The maters got a so so spot. I notice anywhere I planted legumes last year and they rotted and got tilled in, the soil is bomb. So planting beans in semi decent soil just for the enrichment of the soil is on my list of to do's. They make an awesome hedge if they have something to grow on. along a fence is my style. What say you of legumes?

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Country skills book

Country skills book

That's pretty cool Bio, is that from a Storey book? Most of the books I buy are storey books I originally found in the backwoods home magazines.
The basic country skills book is a major resource for "everything"

My Rainbow chard is going nowhere real quick. Something is eating.... Most of it :(.... Tomatoes are waist high already..... Strawberries ooooh wait till you see the pics , there's fruit, it's green but it's fruit! Peppers just went in cpl days ago. I have a Canna flower (canna Lilly) that a client gave to me and that's pushing ground now, apple tree leaves aren't really getting any worse . Still have to get black beauties and yello str8s in the ground and need to clear a 10x10 at * A family members property for some winter squash... Prob basic acorn/spaghetti/butternut..... Weekend so I'm gonna try to upload some new pics for y'all :)

Is that the book thats almost 1000 pgs? Im pretty sure its the one im wanting really bad and it is on my list for my library. 24.95 I think in BHM magazine bookstore. Im gonna look on ebay for a used copy. Buy my books used if I can.

captain planet

Veteran
Hey Bio how goes it? With the compost ...... Yup! So I ditched the lid and cut off the bottom, just drilled holes about every 5-8 inches in every direction, *hole size or how many you might wanna adjust to your own climate, like unc is prob better off with his barrel composter bc it has less air exchange, so he can keep the right moisture level. For me the top being open is not a problem, I have 70 + humidity here most of the summer. And the rain that gets in the top isn't to much that it makes it a soggy anaerobic slop. Actually if I have a long dry spell I'll water the compost :). Now the reason I flipped the trash can is because, that composted material at the bottom gets pretty compact, and the slight conical shape really helps in being able to shimmy the can up and dig out the black gold. I just throw back any undigested big material right back in the top, I don't screen it or anything. If I didn't use it right away I'd prob screen it and save in a separate trashcan. Oh and I pretty much stick to fruit veggie scraps egg shell cardboard, Leaves, I stay away from woody or viny stuff bec it takes much longer to break down than the other stuff and I can make plenty of compost without it, and the extra hassle. Pic set for next weekend is on the to do list :)

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Well heres what Im thinking if you would voice your opinion...........................Take an old trashcan drill holes in it bottom, top, sides. Throw my organic waste in there. when it if full take it out to the garden via dolly. Would this work? Never composted my kitchen scraps n cardboard before so the concept is new to me. Usually the kitchen scraps, egg shells go to the chickens and then to the garden via there semi composted waste. Perhaps this would add more bio-diversity to my garden.