What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain varieties being lost in California, because of "Kush" craze??

mmj916

Hi all,

Just bringing up a little topic of discussion, and that's the fact that the "kush" craze is starting to get so large that it seems that indoor growers all just want to grow OG & nothing else.

I'm part of a collective that has a strong variety of mothers, including many "clone-only" strains & classics. However, it seems to be that lately, all our growers ask for is "OG" (and GSC lol). It's getting so ridiculous, that we're having to cull one of the mother rooms to stock JUST o.g. mothers.

Of course, there wouldn't be such a strong request for OG cuts if there wasn't a big demand from the patients. But what I find interesting is that more & more so, I'm noticing that menu strains at the clubs (storefronts) are migrating towards strictly OG menus, and a little bit of Purp lol.

Now, personally, I'm not a fan of the OG's that I've tried. The only one that I'll really seek out is White Fire OG (WiFi). The rest seem all the same to me??? It baffles me why patients aren't enjoying the "classic" strains as much anymore??

So, I'm wondering that as more & more growers seem to be cultivating OG only - will many of the classic strains start disappearing over time, as clone-cutters start culling their non-OG mothers???

:shucks:

H

Homer J Pimpin

lets hope not...........but I feel ya man........they like to hype things into the ground in cali........They don't seem too concerned with preserving and maintaining genetics over there..........but I'll tell ya what, get some of those rare gems into some good hands on the east coast and we'll keep them alive for ya till the hype train leaves the station ;).......

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The og craze will not cause any strains to be lost...not even IN california...lots of people consider the 'clubs' and dispensaries to BE the california herb scene..its just part of the scene...i assume these are the people homer is talking about..

blackosprey

the strain craze has a cylce of 3 years or so. Anyone remember when "haze" was the craze? Or how about NYD? It's part marketing poly, part snake oil, part scenester hype. In a couple years, there will be a new breed that everyone and their mother room will have to have, until total saturation. And OG Kush will be somehow pushed out of the limelight.

Frosy

No danger of many strains being lost. The only real problem is there are now more strains then ever before being grown and cultivated. Too many to even name, let alone sample. Beyond a shadow of a doubt.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
lets hope not...........but I feel ya man........they like to hype things into the ground in cali........They don't seem too concerned with preserving and maintaining genetics over there..........but I'll tell ya what, get some of those rare gems into some good hands on the east coast and we'll keep them alive for ya till the hype train leaves the station ;).......

East coast fist pumper, you have no idea what you are talking about.
And I'm not going to even get into this with you, as you may have skipped meds for the day and freak on me.

northstate

ICMag Donor
I agree with subrob, and clubs respond to what people want mostly but there are tons of folks and circles that keep things alive for sure. On that note I have been making S1's of all kinds of strains just for the preservation factor alone reversing two cuts and dusting 14-25 sibs per batch in my spare time lol. Keep the gems alive and back them up for future use in growing and breeding projects, tastes and styles change but good herb is good herb.NS

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Hi all,

Just bringing up a little topic of discussion, and that's the fact that the "kush" craze is starting to get so large that it seems that indoor growers all just want to grow OG & nothing else.

I'm part of a collective that has a strong variety of mothers, including many "clone-only" strains & classics. However, it seems to be that lately, all our growers ask for is "OG" (and GSC lol). It's getting so ridiculous, that we're having to cull one of the mother rooms to stock JUST o.g. mothers.

Of course, there wouldn't be such a strong request for OG cuts if there wasn't a big demand from the patients. But what I find interesting is that more & more so, I'm noticing that menu strains at the clubs (storefronts) are migrating towards strictly OG menus, and a little bit of Purp lol.

Now, personally, I'm not a fan of the OG's that I've tried. The only one that I'll really seek out is White Fire OG (WiFi). The rest seem all the same to me??? It baffles me why patients aren't enjoying the "classic" strains as much anymore??

So, I'm wondering that as more & more growers seem to be cultivating OG only - will many of the classic strains start disappearing over time, as clone-cutters start culling their non-OG mothers???

:shucks:

I think its like this, if market wants something, we make it for them, but there is always the group that wants something else. Its that group of folks that will help maintain varieties? idk
Or you got mom hoarders like me who can't part with anything lol.
Broker A only wants diesels and kush
Broker B, likes all the other goodies. Durbans, BDs, all sorts of things.

Guest02345

IMHO there isnt anything being lost....theres just more people working with kushes, diesels and chems. i lived on both coasts...cali is mostly kush and new england is mostly diesel/chem.

on the flip side i do believe there is alotta bottle necking going on.

IMO there will always be a haze craze;)

my tew since

H

Homer J Pimpin

East coast fist pumper, you have no idea what you are talking about.
And I'm not going to even get into this with you, as you may have skipped meds for the day and freak on me.

that's cute call me a fist pumper, say I have no idea what I'm talking about,say that I'm on meds and I'll just assume you don't mean previcid.......And then say you're not even gonna get into it with me............That my friends is a classic case of being a passive agressive instigator full of 3 things..........
1.hypocrisy
2. himself
3. a steaming pile of.....
but no worries TD (may I call ya TD?) you're not intresting enough for me to bother with you past this one post........You're just not clever enough and too damn transparent........oop's must be the med's talkin' right ? :comfort:and speakin' o' meds..............

I think its like this, if market wants something, we make it for them, but there is always the group that wants something else. Its that group of folks that will help maintain varieties? idk
Or you got mom hoarders like me who can't part with anything lol.
Broker A only wants diesels and kush
Broker B, likes all the other goodies. Durbans, BDs, all sorts of things.

thier are lots of good meds these days that will help you focus long enough to finish a thought and help you to articulate it....and even some that will help you to not take random posts based in observation so personally......have a nice night little dawgy

Tom Hill

Veteran
mo betta to actually educate them as to wtf they're buying eg SFV isn't even OG but some Diesel hyb and is why it works best in the multitude of environs etc. Go with the flow, but tell it like it is, imagine that. -T

H

Homer J Pimpin

The og craze will not cause any strains to be lost...not even IN california...lots of people consider the 'clubs' and dispensaries to BE the california herb scene..its just part of the scene...i assume these are the people homer is talking about..

in part yes but more so for the scene that is full of hippster-ass hippsters who's vocabulary consists of 5 words...........kush.......brah........GS Cookies........The ones who talk about rolling on dub's, and finger bangin whitey at the club and starting dozens of threads all saying the same things like how cool cali is and how good cookies is and how you must be a hater if your sick to friggen death of listing to 1/2 witts tell everyone else that they don't have it cause they are not in cali or not cool enough...........Thats the kind of shit that starts the hype....
and thats what the cali mj scene looks like to me........A buch of crooked dispensarys who abuse grey areas and then cry foul when they get caught.and then the under educated hippster scene shoving kush this and cookies that down everyones throat.....I know there are really good people in cali and they like it or not usually have the inside track to the best pot on the planet.........but enough is enough......You want the rest of the world to see you in a more positive light ? then stop abusing the federal goverments leiniency,and stop perpetuating the hype train.........and mis information.........(see Tom Hill's post)

TripleDraw27

Veteran
haters-gonna-hate.jpg

I finga whitey

KRD

I dont think any strains are getting lost, actually more are bieng born everyday in cali. I grow mostly ogs but I grow lots of other stuff, just picked up a 15 year old haze and it is super fire, apollo 11 beans I went through for the last 6 months found 2 keepers. 8 years ago og used to be 6400 an lb kinda long to be called a fad.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Homer, tell us how you really feel about us west coasters, lol. BTW, the federal government has shown no leniency.

I fear one of my favorite strains of all time is lost, Hasan. It is a strain strait out of Humboldt Country and not many have smoked it.

H

Homer J Pimpin

there is a HUGE difference between HYPE and a FAD.......og kush is a variety that actually lives up to the hype......It's just NOT a kush.............gsc........thats a fad..........and eventually will FADE......

H

Homer J Pimpin

Homer, tell us how you really feel about us west coasters, lol. BTW, the federal government has shown no leniency.

I fear one of my favorite strains of all time is lost, Hasan. It is a strain strait out of Humboldt Country and not many have smoked it.

hey bud, 1st thank you for being a good sport and not getting all butt hurt and taking general observations personally....2nd to the rest of the country it dose look as I decribed......leniency has been shown and abused......for years cali had a free pass......every stoner kid and thier brothers were getting med cards for things like a hang nail.......or getting a headache every 17 months....just people who's intention was to take advantage of the situation,use it as a front,and turn a profit in the name of medicine.......this past year or so their hasn't been as much leniency but more of a federal attempt to clean up a big mess.......Sure some good people have to suffer again and it sucks that it is that way but honestly so many more people were doing wrong with system in place then the legit people trying to do good.......

el bee

Maybe not lost, but certainly displaced.....and YES, it's all hype and salesmanship.

If it works it works. If its good its good. BUT.....why are you growing/selling/buying what you do?.....Hype? Profit? Lack of a better system?

Love the debate, hate prohibition and it's ills.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
hey bud, 1st thank you for being a good sport and not getting all butt hurt and taking general observations personally....2nd to the rest of the country it dose look as I decribed......leniency has been shown and abused......for years cali had a free pass......every stoner kid and thier brothers were getting med cards for things like a hang nail.......or getting a headache every 17 months....just people who's intention was to take advantage of the situation,use it as a front,and turn a profit in the name of medicine.......this past year or so their hasn't been as much leniency but more of a federal attempt to clean up a big mess.......Sure some good people have to suffer again and it sucks that it is that way but honestly so many more people were doing wrong with system in place then the legit people trying to do good.......

I would agree that a percentage of people do exactly what you say. I think the national view is what you perceive because the media paints it that way. Don't get me wrong, I see everything you mentioned all the time. However I believe those people are a small percentage of patients that grow and smoke in Cali. Maybe I am one of those ass holes because I have a back yard grow in cali and my perspective is all f-ed up. who knows:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts