What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

veggie gardens

Clarence

FUZZY WUZZY
Veteran

Hehe. Thought i would join in here. A few things from my garden a couple of days ago. Nothing like tatties straight from the ground. Also have onions, peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes (zu-kini, heheheh), radishes, runner beans, green beans, blackberries, rasberries, gooseberries, blueberries, strawberries, leeks and a whole herb garden that is doing great this year.

Here tho is my pride and joy. 18 months ago I got some 'Bourbon' vanilla cuttings imported from the Reunion islands. Out of 5 cuttings myself and a friend managed to get two growing. They were 30 cm cuttings which apparently will take 3 - 4 years to flower. About 10ft long or so. Once flowered they have to be manually pollinated. The flowers are only open for about 8 hrs from early morning. If not pollinated the flowers fall off and die. Otherwise they grow vanilla pods. So this one has grown about 4.5 feet in 18 months. Taking into account the 3 months it took for the cutting to root and sprout. So hopefully in the next year and half or so I iwll be able to show you pics of flowers and beans growing.:tiphat:

Last edited:

Midnight

Veteran
Nice pics everyone! Vinter, how do yo get so many beans? I have an aprox 20 foot row of stringless beans and am lucky if I get a handfull once a week. I got all plant and no beans!

picture.php

cravin morehead

Veteran
clarence- NICE!! good looking food stuff there. i'm real interested in watching your vanilla grow. i'll keep checking on it, i know, it will take a long,long time!!

very cool to see so many killer gardens you guys got going. we're harvesting massive zukes and patty pans every 2 or 3 days. tomatos are just now starting to ripen. i counted 15 ears of corn going on 8 plants so far. ate a bunch of okra, eggplant, chiles, and zukes last night with dinner. tasted great!! grocery store produce doesn't taste that good.
keep it up, i'll post some more pics real soon...

B

bonecarver_OG

awesome! :)

tha vanilla is going to be fun to see how it goes!

a bummer the pods dont smell unless properlly processed, but im sure its worth to grow never the less! looks like its going to be BIG :D

peace!

cravin morehead

Veteran
thought i'd revive my last years garden thread with this years garden. everyone feel free to post your garden shots. its cool to see us all growing our own!! for clean, nutrient rich, tasty veggies, your own garden can't be beat...

hey Clarence, hows the vanilla growing??

its great looking back at all of last years harvests, heres hoping for great harvests this year!!

we got a couple of plants that stayed with us from last year. heres what we got going this season. a few heirloom tomatos, a few chiles, corn, peas, zuccinni, tomatillos, eggplant, 'cukes, soy beans, bell peppers, butternut squash, radish, lettuces, arugala, and herbs. i just finished the irrigation system sunday. everything is still pretty young now, but they should fill in nicely.

lets see 'em IC....

cm

paper thorn

Veteran
looks good craven. sadly, my garden is only in my head. Season's over where I'm at. Too hot. I might try to do something this fall, otherwise I won't be able to till next Spring.

cravin morehead

Veteran
paperthorn- give it a go in the fall, gotta be worth trying, right?? good luck and put up your pics when you can.

gp73lpc- thanks for the compliment

cravin morehead

Veteran
homemade vermicompost ftw.

nice!! i use compost that we produce with yard/kitchen scraps and fresh kelp i gather at the beach every couple weeks while fishing. also, some FPE's too. my neigbors ask, but don't try. they just want the fruits of our labor. hahaha!

cm

cravin morehead

Veteran
just a little pic update:

everything is going really good. so far, we've harvested 60+ green beans, a cucumber, and lots of arugala and basil. o ya, about 10 radishes too. the peas in the 3 sisters group are really starting to grow quickly. so are the zukes in there. after seeing how well everyone seems to be doing, we went a little crazy, filled up almost every stretch of unused soaker hose with radish, broccolli raab, and peas(mainly for their nitrogen fixing and eating the sprouts). we've been lucky so far, so-cal hasn't gotten to full swing heat yet. hoping to get to the beach for some fishing and kelp gathering a couple times this week. heres a little pic of a good day of surf fishing for me

thats 2 pacific (california) halibuts. they were great eating. been catching a few already this year from the sand.

lets see those gardens!!

cm

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
a little harvest from last week... lots more to come...

picture.php

benjuanman

Veteran
Great thread you started here CMH. also would like to compliment all the others that have contibuted too. Will throw up some pics tomoz of my chilli and tomato patch from the season just gone. Can't grow anything now cause it's winter here in Oz and had a fresh morning today. It was -6 degees celcius brrrrr!!! Too cold to grow anything I like thats for sure:)

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great looking veggies everyone!! Love it...our garden is doing good, have harvested a few radishes and lettuce isnt far behind. Getting some hot weather next week, should be good for the plants.
Thanks for sharing guys!!

cravin morehead

Veteran
hey everybody.

gp73lpc- looking good! im jealous, i really need to grow carrots and onions too. they look great. how are your okra? everytime i let mine get that big, they get very woody, but i still eat em, i love okra. looking forward to see more of your pics.

hey ben- good to see you over here. please do put up some of your pics. i've got some chiles going too. i have serrano, cayenne, anaheim, and trying to sprout some guajillos now. -6*c!! thats cold!!

mrs. babba- nice to see you here, please feel free to put up your pics, if you like. the weather in my part of so-cal has been great for the garden. mostly clear skys and 72*f-82*f.

well i went fishing yesterday, caught a couple more halibut, but not 'keeper' size. one did come within 1" though, not worth getting caught with it illegally. plus those size limits are to ensure successful breeding, so we can catch them for years to come. if any of you guys are interested in how to catch halis off the beach in so-cal, pm me and i'll help you out. i also caught about 15 barred surf perch, 2 corbina, and 1 yellow fin croaker. it was a fun day(actually about 3 hours). i did bring home some more kelp for the composter too.

anyhow, keep the garden pics coming!! this is getting good!!

thanks for stopping by,

cm

Last edited:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
very nice cravin...

i didn't actually eat that okra as it was a little to tough. the stuff grows from 1 inch long to over 4 quickly. bout a 3 day period to harvest. i'm collecting smaller ones now...

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just got my tomatoes transplanted. They have some shock but are coming through nicely.

picture.php