What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Babba's Veggie Garden

N

Nondual

My tomatoes are just about finished and I'll collect the greens and ripen them in the garage which should last until late November.
Have you ever had pickled green tomatoes? They're awesome! I got a few jars going now and can't wait. I use mainly pickling spice, dill, caraway and a touch of garlic. Next year I'm gonna grow my own dill.

My real interest is if anyone else is going to run winter crops. Ive got my beds ready for the Broccoli, cauliflower, Napa cabbage, Cabbage(Green/purple/red), Bok Choi and Pak Choi. will also be rooting my Rhubarb bed for spring. Anyone else running some thing I've not thought about?
I'd love to except we can get 6' of snow. Next year I'm gonna do hoop houses for an early and late crop and also bump my tomatoes up a notch.

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
opMpzUDK6YUORzl4XkUdooRPlbuR1XtycyAN5gyshCLCstB3vZpB6eZiSOdCez3FC6xhZowwyVe1f8ycY3eZ

Jewel Caterpillar

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What a cool caterpillar Al, thanks for sharing that.
The garden is doing good, just planted a bunch of sunflower seeds. The carrots and onions are taking off.
Planted squash,lettuce,green beans[pole and bush] and radishes.
Still need to get a bunch pf peppers and plant our tomatoes.
Love this time of year!
peace and puffs

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya really cool caterpillar. I like this thread of Mrs Babba as the best for none MMJ picture and gardening. So heres the first of my orchid to bloom this year

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 11

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What a pretty flower Al, growing an orchid isnt easy, I tried once and killed it within a month or so. Way to go!! They are such delicate flowers, I love them, thanks!!

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh Mrs. B..I'm envious...you planted all that already!..36 here this morning. I'm right behind Ya though..looking forward to watching your garden flourish this year..good luck n best wishes..DD

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
glass-gem-corn.png

The story of glass gem corn. Seedsman Greg Schoen got the seed from Carl Barnes, a part-Cherokee man, now in his 80's, in Oklahoma. He was Greg's "corn-teacher". Greg was in the process of moving last year and wanted someone else to store and protect some of his seeds. He left samples of several corn varieties, including glass gem. I grew out a small handful this past summer just to see. The rest, as they say is history. I got so excited, I posted a picture on Facebook. We have never seen anything like this. Unfortunately, we did not grow out enough to sell. Look for a small amount for sale starting in August 2011. Thanks, bill

Seeds Trust is probably most famous for its trip behind the Iron Curtain in 1989. President Bill McDorman personally carried back over 60 varieties of delicious tomatoes from Siberia and also made a good friend along the way.

Organic, heirloom, and native seeds are quickly increasing in popularity. Seeds Trust offers tips for understanding and purchasing these seeds.

Project Self Reliance (PSR) is our educational, non-profit organization providing sustainably oriented social services and programs for the community-at-large and youth-at-risk.

International Seed Saving Institute (ISSI), a branch of Project Self Reliance, is dedicated to saving seeds, seed-saving education, seed banks and self-reliance for peoples world-wide.

http://secure.seedstrust.com/

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow Al, that doesnt even look real, its so pretty, what unusual looking corn, we bought some seeds today and will get those planted tomorrow. Got a ton of peppers too....we were talking to a guy at one of the nurseries and he mentioned Super Chili's....found some of those, have to give them a try!
Garden is rockin right now...Ill take some pics soon.
Peace and puffs

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spent most of the morning planting veggies, what a relaxing time.
There are 33 tomatoes and 60 different pepper plants. Put corn in some containers around the garden too.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

M

MsSweetPea

WOW! What a great garden. :jump: That's a lot of work girl friend! :whip: LOL What's the tall stuff in the 2nd to last picture?

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOW! What a great garden. :jump: That's a lot of work girl friend! :whip: LOL What's the tall stuff in the 2nd to last picture?

Thanks Sweetpea...those are onions, and your right its alot of work but so worth it!!
and its relaxing in way too..I really enjoy my time in the garden.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Wow!
It's going to be another exceptional season at the Babba's :: Salsa galore! :yummy:

Looking forward to watching this year's garden progress!
Enjoy it!! :D

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow Al, that doesnt even look real, its so pretty, what unusual looking corn, we bought some seeds today and will get those planted tomorrow. Got a ton of peppers too....we were talking to a guy at one of the nurseries and he mentioned Super Chili's....found some of those, have to give them a try!
Garden is rockin right now...Ill take some pics soon.
Peace and puffs

So what is Super Chili's.

fukndenny

ahhhhhhh i love the veggie gardens.

im jealous. dont have any land this year for a veggie garden.

i will live through you peoples. :D

G

guest8905

very nice mrs b! Hope all the babbas are well.

What a great garden. I just planted my very first garden today and am super excited. Thanks for sharing yours, its giving me lots of inspiration

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow Babbas..hot down there, I was around that neck of the woods last weekend, bet your garden grew a foot.... that sun felt awsome..grow on. DD

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what is Super Chili's.

Not sure what they are, havent grown them before, there was a gentleman at one of the nurseries we were at looking for veggies, and he recommended those peppers as the ones to grow, so we took his advise...they are doing ok, the peppers seem to have a bit of trouble getting started, hopefully they will take off soon.

Harvested some radishes,lettuce, carrots and had a huge salad for lunch today, yummm

picture.php

g0dzilla

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mmmmm looks like it's going to be a tasty salad Mrs babba. Got to love freshies. :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Latest posts