What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying land and becoming a farmer

desant

Veteran
It would be the best job ever to grow weed for commercial purposes if it was legal.

But for now legal crops will do. I would like to buy some land and grow legals and aply my superb agricultural skills

In order of preference i would like to grow:

1. Tobacco (for cigars)
2. Coffee
3. Grapes/Wine

Iit would mean lving away from town in the country which is what i want to do. :chin:

Any legal farmers on IC?

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
watched a great Doc last night on Dan Rather reports on HDnet, all about urban farming. Using the tops of buildings for growing.

Great idea, and apparently legal and you get tones of grants and payments.

tariq

Yeah in Chicago they offer grants and up to 20,000 for 'green' roof-tops. The city is really big on pushing for green roof-tops. Too bad everything else isn't coming up roses over here...

Read a lot. Look around; grow what works in your area. Get tight with someone already farming and learn from him. While it would be nice to get paid for your labor, sometimes you have to pay tuition for an education. Lots of people have pipedreams about living in bucolic harmony with nature only to find that Mother Nature can be a motherfucker.
Days are long, work is hard, profits are few. But rewards can be great, just not the economic rewards.

boroboro

Just passed a van headed to the local farmer's market this morning. I passed him only because his van was going 10 miles an hour under the speed limit. It looked like that was the maximum safe speed for the ancient van and trailer with wobbling wheels. Didn't look like an indication of a very profitable activity.

Also, IIRC, tobacco farming in the USA is heavily controlled. If you have a license/permit you may do well, but if you don't you're out of luck. Sounded like trying to get into lobster fishing in Maine (i.e. if you or your family or friends aren't already lobstermen, forget about it).

G

Gilles&Cheryl

We are farmers. We raise cattle,tomatoes, and chickens. It is not that hard most of the year. A few weeks in the summer is the only really hectic time. My husband worked over 300 hours in the month of June but he made enough money to last us a couple of years. During the winter we only work an hour or two a day.

When we bought our land and started farming everybody in my family thought we were crazy. They all told us how mother nature would beat us to a pulp and so on. I am now the most prosperous member of my family(that's not saying much!) and our initial loan was paid off in just a few years.

Go for it. Don't listen to the naysayers. There will always be people who confuse what they can do with what you can do.

DankHawk

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 15
M

mrred

nebraska farmers are doing pretty damn good, with all the subsidies and rain and good weather its been pretty good for them

there are a lot of different types of farming.. some are more economically viable than others.. I grew up on a dairy.. now THAT was a lot of work (cows need to be milked twice a day, EVERY day) for not a lot of money..

but the living was pretty good..Peace

G

Gilles&Cheryl

did you start from raw land?
how long did it take you to become self reliant?
how much money did you have saved up (or months worth of expenses?)

sorry for all the questions, i have been really wanting to do this.
i am basically debt free and we have a decent chunk of money saved.
i would ideally like buy the land outright and have enough to a few months of living until i get a garden going.

thanks in advance :)

No, we bought a working farm. We were able to keep the contracts the previous owner had on the poultry houses. We had to borrow the money and I don't think we would have gotten the loan if it were not for the fact that the farm was already making money.

My husband comes from a farming family so we were able to borrow a tractor and implements at first. His family also sold us calves at a very low price in exchange for labor. They really helped us a lot.

As for the becoming self reliant its hard to say how long that took because my husband was living on the family farm and had been living off the land for years when we met. So we just started doing what he had been doing but only a few miles down the road when we got our own place. He and his grandmother had canned hundreds of jars of homegrown veggies, we ate on those until our garden came in. Our local butcher will slaughter/butcher a calf for a share of the meat so beef is always plentiful.

You're welcome to pm me if you have any other questions.

maryjohn

Veteran
the farmers of the future will need as much education as the engineers of the present.

get a degree, that's what I would do.

hardhat22

The most popular form of gardening in my area are U-pick operations that offer fresh fruit and vegetables that are expensive in the grocery stores,such as muscadines,dew berries,blue berries.With the re-opening of our farmers market the retirees/disabled are doing really well and doing more than just supplementing their income,which is what their goal was.If you could grow hops in you area,brewers would love you.I heard there is a shortage.
Peace

Tolpan

the farmers of the future will need as much education as the engineers of the present.

get a degree, that's what I would do.

Don't get me wrong Maryjohn, but todays engineers no nothing, well perhaps a few! I have 2 professions for farming. One for winemaking 3 years and normal farming 2 years. And all I do now, I have learned from old farners and people that never followed the masses.
What ya learn today in schools is beeing a dumbass and follow what the industrie tells you! They destroy the farming business!

I know that education is everything, but educate yourself!

Cheers

Tolpan

the_man

natural grass feed cattle 4.50 a pound for ground chuck and always sells out

allot of times there is a waiting list for meat

there is a few specialty tobacco farmers in my area. they only have a few acres they plant but do very well and make enough to get by from season to season

pick your own has a good profit in it