What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you keep cats out of your planting beds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose56

Also before you you rush out there and get rid of the cats remember that they do keep the rodents out of your grow. You can put up chicken wire to keep the cats from getting close but that is easier then dealing with critters that will eat your grow.

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
exactly what he said

or buy a dog if your responsible enough to take care of it..

really any dog will do ... , just get a normal sized one , not those " mouse type " of dogs , dunno the name of the race ... :D

trybud

Im looking at dogs now but in the meantime i followed N707s advice and bought the 5.1..i also bought some other cat-specific repellant crystals at home depot.

tenotoge

bb gun...:fsu:
I know cats don't like fire.....?
I was thinking maybe something smelly and revolting and gooey that's not toxic...you could always fill up a cup with your own pee and pour it around the border. Maybe stick a bunch of toothpicks around the border so it's obvious, and the cat knows if it misses the jump it's getting stuck like a bacon-wrapped scallop.

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
peppers, dried anad cracked/grond sprinkle a light covering in your beds / around plants.

It'll be like sniffing pepper spray.

Mulching helps too..

Edit - If I find out you shot my cat, don't be surprised when you get shot with a larger caliber. :D

THC123

Veteran
the blood of a person is no more valuable than a cats

Well said!

Touching my cat is like touching a family member of mine . Shit i would just lose it if i saw someone hurting the lovely animal

B

BeAn

Shooting cats may be fun if theres enough of them and you get a scoring system set up first, cruel if ya dont get them first time though so aim for the head fo'sho....:D

(do i need to make light of the fact that im joking?:biglaugh:)

You could always try land-mines...:smile:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just put up a small fence that has boards with 2 alternating staggered hieghts so the cat cant stand on it. If it is too much trouble the cat will just shit somewhere else.

You can shoot just air through a paintball gun so it just makes a loud scary noise if you see them, they will learn. My cat responds to just snapping my fingers and looking sternly at him. He does not like to be socially shunned. You dont have to get violent with cats ever because they respond better to other methods.

motion sprinklers are a great idea.

J

JackTheGrower

How about a motion sensor attached to a sprinkler system?

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5265-Motion-Activated-Repellent/dp/B000BO71NY

That sounds right.

Or maybe till some place you don't use and add the water to the one you do.

I have an indoor box 4x4 feet and my cat sometimes gets in but respects me when i tell her no.

I don't mind them sleeping under the plants when the plants are big but, mostly they want my attention and it's focused in there.

P.S. I'm pro cat. No bb guns unless you also think you should be shot with one for wanting a clean place to crap. In that case give me a call and I will be happy to lend ya a hand cuz it's hard to crap and shoot yourself.

I'm on Skype

Also I find they don't care for mulch so much.

Last edited:
J

JackTheGrower

"the blood of a person is no more valuable than a cats":fsu:

My cat is my friend so don't be surprised if you hurt my cat that i hurt you.

That may not seem realistic to you with your value of blood and what not but it is to me.

You know if you know who's cat it is you could tell them you have a problem with their cat in your yard.

With my cat I can explain to her not to go there as i did with one neighbor and so far three years later the neighbor says she hasn't seen my cat in her yard.

I have a loyal and respectful cat. did i mention she is very wise.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe just plant the cat its own little plant on the other side of the yard, and put some cat nip buy it. maybe it just likes weed like us. hahaha

set up sum bear traps around yer grow:joint::joint:hahah bet thtd keep the lil f*cker outta there n if it didnt my geuss is she wldnt be back fer a second time haha:yoinks:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you tried mouse traps?

Set a bunch of them in there and the cat will get curious and start poking it around. When it snaps it scares the hell out of them and they wont go back in. An old timer told me about that after I told him my cats were always jumping onto the countertop. They all got snapped and they don't even think about jumping up there anymore.... I wouldn't do it with a kitten though. It could probably hurt their feet....

i've heard that cocoa hull mulch (from cocoa beans) is a natural cat deterrent. i guess they don't like the chocolate smell that it gives off. i'm not sure how valid this statement is, but i plan on trying it in my yard as all the neighborhood cats love to crap in my yard for some reason. maybe because it's the only house without grass out front. grass is a waste of water and time if you ask me, which is why i tore it all out, but have been lazy and haven't planted anything yet - which is why the damn cats probably love the soft composted soil.

i also have problems with those damn squirrels! f'ers always tear up my pots and plant acorns in everything. i shoot them along with cats with a $10 spring-loaded airsoft gun. they don't really have enough power to "hurt" the animal, just gives them a nice jolt. plus, it's nice to be able to sit on the porch smoking a J and have a little target practice. i just wish airsoft pellets were made of cornstarch (like biodegradable eating utensils) instead of plastic. that way i could shoot them all over the place and not worry about the pellet being there forever.

gronko

The best solution i've found is wooden stakes in the ground every 30-40 cms. Try and make it as uncomfortable for the cat to lie down.

They will give up after awhile and find somewhere easier. If your garden is too big for wooden stakes to be placed everywhere,
you can use vinegar mixed with water spread over where the cats lie around. They will get put off by the smell and its relatively harmless for all concerned.

cheers,

:gday:

Does anyone know any tricks to keeping cats out of my garden? i just tilled and waiting for temps to go up a bit before i plant. neighborhood cat(s) seems to like to use it every other day or so. Just trying to avoid shooting them. Ive tried everything, even renting traps from the local animal control(caught a bunch last spring, no feral cats here anymore) but the cats left learned to stay away from it....looking for inexpensive home remedy type solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.