What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6 months jail time for Cannabis growers in California. I thought it was legal now WTF

Wendull C.

Veteran
Mad was an understatement. Im in the process of getting a license and higher tickets. I have a white collar job also.

I still say " YOU STUPID MOTHER FUCKERS, YOU."

You listed many reasons for me, thanks.

ReahHigh

I am glad to see some conversation about this issue, I am not seeing much talk about the reality of what has actually happened, vs what all the proponents said would/not happen. I would like to share my personal experience since California passage of Prop 64.

“”Legalization” will eliminate & reduce crimes (minimize harm), & prevent people from going to jail.”-
Wrong! While it’s now legal to carry an ounce and grow a 6 plants per owned,(not rented dwelling, with owners permission) residence, cops are busting more people than ever for everything from, operating business with out a license, possession of over an ounce, concretes, growing to many plants, or growing in the wrong place, for driving, “under influence,” & for public toking, (good luck finding a place to use anywhere in public).

“”Legalization” will effectively end the War on Drugs”-
It has actually created new groups/kind of “criminals.” Some advocates have the idea, we should never reject ANY measure that moves us forward toward ANY type of marijuana legalization, at any cost! The idea that some recreational legalization, may actually be not worth losing medical rights over, is considered, “Purist” & “ Idealistic” by some. Tell that to the people who now find themselves, ”Criminalized” by “Legalization”!

“It will protect medical marijuana patients rights”.-
Some counties have placed growing restrictions & bans that make it illegal to even grow medical marijuana outside! Requiring patients additional $ for lighting, increasing utility costs, cost of purchasing licenses, greenhouses, etc. The state appears to be following Washington & Oregon move, to merge Recreational & Medical into one, that we have seen would result in eliminating more medical patients rights!

“Will not create “monopolies”-
Prop 64 specifically prohibits licenses for large growers (over 22,000 square feet)until 2020. This law was written for, and by, big corporations, who have ensured the high costs involved in becoming licensed, during the 5 year period, will guarantee most small & medium-size growers are forced out of business by then. Leaving the playing field wide open for “Big Corporate Marijuana.” This is not about supporting mom-and-pop growers or stores; it’s about, in the words of one “Ganjapreneur,” creating “the Wal-Marts of Marijuana.”

The law also allows for vertical integration. The five year cap is supposed to help small business survive, but the law will also allow enormous corporations to also vertically integrate. So Monsanto is just as free to create, produce & test each stage of their own product in five years!

“Will lead to lower prices and put an end to the black market.” -
Nothing could be further than the truth. The combination of over taxation & regulation is creating a perfect storm that drastically increases the, “Black Market.”
Many patients have had the cost of their medication double since first of the year! There is a bottle neck in permits, testing and licensing that will likely get even worse as the year goes on. People attempting to go legitimate, are now being targeted in some areas. Patients with higher than average medical needs, who can’t grow enough to get through the entire year, can no longer afford to purchase their medication in bulk from dispensaries. Many patients are being forced to choose, whether to loose a significant amount of their medication to taxation, or turning to frightening options like Craig’s List, ********* or Facebook!

“”Legalization” will protect consumers with safety tests, standardize dosage and labeling of cannabis.” -
Prop 64 does not require that cultivators send their product to independent or 3rd party testing or, “distributors”. They have arbitrary restrictions on edibles dosing, possession limits, that doesn’t consider diverse patients medical needs. There’s no specific protocol for how labs will gather samples from growers to perform state-required testing. It actually weakened the MMRSA testing requirements! This is clearly NOT a priority of, “Legalization”.

“Will allow for worry free home grows” -This is NOT the case! Prop 64 Allowed local cities & counties to set local growing & use restrictions. This has created many, “Dry” areas. As of this writing, one in seven California cities allow recreational marijuana stores!

“It will legitimize marijuana”
it’s still easier & cheaper to buy alcohol & tobacco than medical marijuana! “Legalization” has not addressed the issue of workplace drug testing, doesn’t even allow medical patients to use it at work or school. This was written to benefit a few fortune groups & individuals, not the patients or recreational users! Where the hell are all these legitimate places to use it? We would be foolish to ignore what has happened in Washington & Oregon since they have, Legalized Recreational Marijuana. The sales tax is now as extreme & Washington citizens can no longer even home-grow!

“Will Create more Jobs”-
Medical Marijuana was already creating jobs. This is killing people’s jobs & life’s work. Issues of workplace drug testing, banking, exportation, etc. have not been addressed by, “Legalization” and will continue to be problematic for the foreseeable future. It appears most small & medium sized family business /Growers, will be wiped out in entire regions of the state. While allowing, “Big business” with big $$, to buy up acres of failed agricultural business land in Central Valley.

WTF are we going to do about it is my question? I think we need a new generation of marijuana activism, post Legalization! To continue to fight for the medical rights, recreational legalization advocates are so willing to give away. Why aren’t more people out there, talking about these issues?

St. Phatty

It should be noted that there are a large number of California natives, mainly living in the small inland towns and rural areas, who don't agree with the shithole that their state has become, and are rather upset to see it. It's the So.Cal coastal urbanites who are the biggest cheerleaders of endless big government control over everything.

An interesting twist on something -

the big urban interface wildfires in CA occur in those same coastal "we trust big government" backwaters.

In October 2017, when the tiny embers came floating into the FountainGrove and Coffey Park areas of Santa Rosa, they all fled ... instead of using common sense & staying up all night with a garden hose and a 5 gallon bucket.

All of the big fires started as little tiny fires.

Now, the newspaper that documented the Hyperventilation of the Liberal Snow-flakes - without saying a word about who was responsible for 20+ negligent homicides, or saying a word about how to prepare for the 2018 wildfire season - has received a Pulitzer prize.

The point has been made irrefutably - you can't trust even medium sized government, when it comes to urban interface wildfires.

Instead of getting out there to remove combustible fuels around their homes, the snowflakes are literally sitting at their computer terminals debating "what is the best diet".

Phillis

Those who point fingers seem to be in need of a mirror. Does man need law? When his hand is held and he is coddled to the point of helplessness he soon finds himself crushed by his fellow man. Instead of independence he reaches up to an invisible beast whom cares not for his well being, who cares only for the continuation of the grinding of gears and the threatening of families to fuel the fire that is futility.

PDX Dopesmoker

An interesting twist on something -

the big urban interface wildfires in CA occur in those same coastal "we trust big government" backwaters.

In October 2017, when the tiny embers came floating into the FountainGrove and Coffey Park areas of Santa Rosa, they all fled ... instead of using common sense & staying up all night with a garden hose and a 5 gallon bucket.

All of the big fires started as little tiny fires.

Now, the newspaper that documented the Hyperventilation of the Liberal Snow-flakes - without saying a word about who was responsible for 20+ negligent homicides, or saying a word about how to prepare for the 2018 wildfire season - has received a Pulitzer prize.

The point has been made irrefutably - you can't trust even medium sized government, when it comes to urban interface wildfires.

Instead of getting out there to remove combustible fuels around their homes, the snowflakes are literally sitting at their computer terminals debating "what is the best diet".

hey nancy, wtf u think your doing posting wildfire discussion in the "Cannabis Laws & Cannabis Legislation" section? u think ur some kinda special snowflake or something? nobody cares how twisted up your panties are, tinkerbell. go tell the boys in the bathhouse.

Muleskinner

Veteran
They didn't restrict home growing or leave it "vague" to placate cities & towns, they did it because the organizers were paid by the MJ industry to be hostile to home growing. Why do you think this bullshit "6 plants" rule is now law all around the US and Uruguay? When you're allowed to brew 200 gallons of alcohol in your house, without any permitting or registration or landlord knowing? It's what the oligarchs want and the big players in the MJ industry in California.

They want feudal servitude, they want to get back all the wages they paid you, they don't want you growing things for free. Why do you think our health care system is 3x more expensive than the other countries? The oligarchs want ALL your money before you die. Don't want you checking out and leaving your cash to someone else.

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They want feudal servitude, they want to get back all the wages they paid you, they don't want you growing things for free. Why do you think our health care system is 3x more expensive than the other countries? The oligarchs want ALL your money before you die. Don't want you checking out and leaving your cash to someone else[/FONT]

Easy7

Veteran
Sadly the current models for legalization ARE helping those with connections. That's just the way the world works. IF small guys want a voice, it takes a lot of clear thinking and organizing a group voice, WITH A CLEAR message. That's how democracy works. The hard part of that is getting a group to agree. Groups tend to agree on consistency. That's why monopolies or chain stores and mega factories win. Familiarity wins over superiour and unique. Yet across the board commie standards don't win out either.

Sooner or later federal laws will set national standards. These are all people that know very little about cannabis or canna culture, versus business and culture they want to preserve.

In the meanwhile be happy with six flowering ladies. That or the cover to grow much more.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They want feudal servitude, they want to get back all the wages they paid you, they don't want you growing things for free. Why do you think our health care system is 3x more expensive than the other countries? The oligarchs want ALL your money before you die. Don't want you checking out and leaving your cash to someone else[/FONT]

i wish it was only 3x as expensive

jeez a 4000$ bill for my pet would be 275$ in germany, shiiiiiit

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Huge grow ops are SWOOPING IN socal right now!

within a year? 1 grams of 19 percent nug may become reality.

at least the cartels will stop trying to import swag here in cali.

as far as new law cannabis regulators are now hired in the city of los angles
http://cannabis.lacity.org/

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One enforceable rule for home cultivation and the war continues. Honestly it's that simple because enforcement means punishment and if they can punish us after we've won the war then we haven't really won at all. That means absolutely no licenses, no property inspections, no plant number limits, rules on where we can grow on our properties, etc. There can't be a single concession given because they will enforce anything we let them.

While on the one hand I want to agree with you, the logical side of me just can't.

The problem is people themselves.

If you give someone an inch, they'll take a mile.

If the gov't completely deregulated cannabis for personal consumption, how long would it take for multiple someones to grow a couple acres worth and claim it as "personal"? 2, 3 seconds?

People will not regulate themselves. If a lot is good, more is better. That's the problem.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
They didn't restrict home growing or leave it "vague" to placate cities & towns, they did it because the organizers were paid by the MJ industry to be hostile to home growing. Why do you think this bullshit "6 plants" rule is now law all around the US and Uruguay? When you're allowed to brew 200 gallons of alcohol in your house, without any permitting or registration or landlord knowing? It's what the oligarchs want and the big players in the MJ industry in California.

They want feudal servitude, they want to get back all the wages they paid you, they don't want you growing things for free. Why do you think our health care system is 3x more expensive than the other countries? The oligarchs want ALL your money before you die. Don't want you checking out and leaving your cash to someone else.

Here in Michigan we still have some rights. I do not see them letting that last. A few of my friends and I have came up with a plan that may or may not help. All I will say is that if the truth makes it to enough people I have a feeling we can legalize it the way we intended and ban all coorperate grows for the benefit of our local economies. Still in the imaginary phase but I think we are on to something.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I wouldn't feel comfortable in a tower block, If the muppets below me could have a grow that had never been inspected.

We all know you can't have power outlets in a bathroom in most countries of the world. We know not to run an extension lead in there to fix this. Everyone I know abides by this, but when it comes to grow areas, it all goes out the window.

Who owns a tent here? Is it flame retardant? I live in the UK, where you can't even give a sofa to charity if it's not.

Got 600w ballasts? Are any iec connections used the hot variety with cable restraint. I doubt it. There is more chance it has holes drilled in it.

Got a hydro system? Is it earthed? Water might be an insulator, but it's not with all that feed in it.

The general public simply can't select the right equipment to use. It's alright saying they can grow, but can they?

I don't think household insurance will ever cover this usage. In which case, we should only put our own houses at risk.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I wouldn't feel comfortable in a tower block, If the muppets below me could have a grow that had never been inspected.

We all know you can't have power outlets in a bathroom in most countries of the world. We know not to run an extension lead in there to fix this. Everyone I know abides by this, but when it comes to grow areas, it all goes out the window.

Who owns a tent here? Is it flame retardant? I live in the UK, where you can't even give a sofa to charity if it's not.

Got 600w ballasts? Are any iec connections used the hot variety with cable restraint. I doubt it. There is more chance it has holes drilled in it.

Got a hydro system? Is it earthed? Water might be an insulator, but it's not with all that feed in it.

The general public simply can't select the right equipment to use. It's alright saying they can grow, but can they?

I don't think household insurance will ever cover this usage. In which case, we should only put our own houses at risk.

People have been growing, doing bad wiring, and making poor decisions for a long time. The three are not actually related or interconnected. All three will continue to happen.

They need to ban stupidity and let growers grow.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
They need to ban stupidity and let growers grow.

just how would that be enforced? are you willing to wait until innocent people are killed/houses or apartments burned & then prosecute? no one is going to go along with that, methinks. if there is ANY chance of fire, all wiring should be done by licensed and insured electricians. in case of apartments, i doubt even that would satisfy insurance company attorneys. and saying "fuck lawyers" aint gonna get you anything but sympathy. something along the lines of these self-storage places needs to be built so growers can rent rooms already wired, with water, fans etc. i bet that would be a workable business plan. hell, put clear greenhouse roofing on it & let the sun shine in...not EVERYONE is going to be able to safely grow indoors, unfortunately. safety first, people. the right to swing your fist ends at the tip of other peoples noses...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
just how would that be enforced? are you willing to wait until innocent people are killed/houses or apartments burned & then prosecute? no one is going to go along with that, methinks. if there is ANY chance of fire, all wiring should be done by licensed and insured electricians. in case of apartments, i doubt even that would satisfy insurance company attorneys. and saying "fuck lawyers" aint gonna get you anything but sympathy. something along the lines of these self-storage places needs to be built so growers can rent rooms already wired, with water, fans etc. i bet that would be a workable business plan. hell, put clear greenhouse roofing on it & let the sun shine in...not EVERYONE is going to be able to safely grow indoors, unfortunately. safety first, people. the right to swing your fist ends at the tip of other peoples noses...

It was part joke part true. I somehow knew that when I went from a small garden that was safe to a bigger garden that an extention cord disaster is a fire hazard. So I had my grow wired by a professional friend. I know to not make bho indoors too.

Sorry for my sarcasm.

therevverend

Veteran
Many years ago I had a buddy who'd grow anywhere he lived. He had some balls. He was a cook so he lived in downtown Seattle in an old apartment building. With wiring at least as old as the 1930s. He'd been growing with some smaller florescent lights, maybe an 250 watt HID, can't remember. But one day he tried to plug his 1000 watt halide in. Blew him across the room and knocked him out for at least a few seconds. Big burn up the side of the wall.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
@therevvrend I almost had something similar happen in one of those older houses in Tacoma with the basements. Flipped a light controller on instantly heard a crackling/snapping/pop sound, saw a bright camera flash and blue arc of electricty surge out all over around the controller...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts