What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"ShishkaButter" How I do it...and why.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Most cannabis cooking is done with cannabutter. So a good cannabutter recipe can go a long way.

Ingredients

1 oz of high quality trim (or 2 oz of fan leaves)
1 lb plus 3 sticks of unsalted butter
thermometer
cheesecloth
strainer

picture.php

Step 1. Clarify the butter.

Completely melt the butter down in a medium sauce pan to let the butter and the dairy solids separate in the pan. Use a spoon to scoop off the layer of solids that floats to the top. Next, slowly pour off the melted butter into a separate bowl, leaving the white cloudy liquid in the bottom of the saucepan. Finally, use a spoon to get the rest of the clarified butter from the sauce pan.

Why?

The dairy solids in butter are really good at absorbing quite a bit of your thc. Without it we will know that all the thc will be in the butter itself. From a culinary perspective, I would always use clarified butter.

picture.php

Step 2. Extract the THCA.

Add the cannabis and clarified butter to a large sauce pan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook on low heat for 90 min, stirring every 15 min. Add more water as needed.

Covering the mixture with water ensures that I will not burn my butter. The boiling point of water is lower than the smoke point of the butter, so as long as the water doesn't completely boil away I have a buffer. Adding water also helps get the chlorophyll and water solubles out of the finished product.

picture.php

Step 3. Cleaning your cannabutter.

Strain out the plant matter, refrigerate the water/butter. Pour off the water, remelt add water and repeat until water is clear.

Make sure to squeeze all the liquid out into a bowl. Set it in the refrigerator for 1 hour to harden. After about an hour you will be left with a thick green butter sitting on top of dark green or brown water. Poke a hole in the butter and pour off all the nasty water. This water will ruin your baked goods. Remelt the butter and add a few cups of cold water (helps cool it down again). Set it back in the refrigerator, poke a hole, pour off the nasty.

picture.php

Step 4. Decarboxylation.

Cook your butter over very low heat keeping an eye on the temperature. We want it at around 239 for 15 min. You may need to raise the heat to get it up to 239, but turn it back down quickly. If it ever starts to get too hot just pull the pan off the flame for a few seconds.

When we extract like this the thc is not activated yet. We need to bring it up to at least 232 for the molecules to move fast enough that it converts thca into thc.

picture.php

Coconut oil works the same way, with out the milk solids.

liftedinny

Nice write up man ....do you know why people add soy lecithin to it ??? I have no clue just seen it in some recipies

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Nice write up man ....do you know why people add soy lecithin to it ??? I have no clue just seen it in some recipies

From what I have read it has something to do with the absorbtion rate of the thc. Its supppsed to help the body accept the thc faster, but may affect duration.

I tried sunflower lecithin, but never really got that into it. I could taste it too much in my products.

onavelzy

Veteran
Shiska, thx for the guide. I've read you on some other threads, gg4, etc.

The only edible I've ever had was brownies we made in high school in which we just dumped the whole oz in the brownie mix and cooked it, leaf, sticks, seeds and all. About the worst tasting thing you can imagine. We were high school kids, what can I say?

Hope my questions for you or others aren't too dumb:

Do cannabutter/shiskabutter and other oil based cooking concentrates make the cookies, pies or whatever taste like pot? Is there a cannabis smell when cooking the edibles? I would imagine there would be some smell when doing the decarboxylation step. If so, would a neighboring apartment be able to smell it? Thanks for any insights you can give to a total kitchen newb

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I just try and help out where I can, thanks for the feedback.

Ime, if you clean your butter or oil well you can deffo taste the weed but without that bitter, nastiness.

If you follow this recipe I guarantee that a simple slice of toast with some of this butter wont even be bitter, so you can just imagine actual pastries. I bet you get a bunch of ideas. If you want knock out butter just use 2oz instead of 1.

Smell wise its gotta depend on how the place is built and the ventilation, but if you can smell your neighbors, its prolly safe to say they can smell you.

The whole extraction, decarb and cooking process makes an oz of trim smell like a half a p, so I wouldnt recommend it if you didnt feel safe. I always do it in the wee hours with incense lit. Prolly could bring a fan/filter combo in the kitchen for the process tho.

Hope this helps you out somehow, if I can make anything any clearer, ask away.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Thanks a lot for this guide shishkaboy! I haven’t made butter in many years but plan to do so over the holiday season.

I was wondering if I’m fine to freeze the sugar leaves, like I do for making bubble hash, or if they should be fresh? I always find it’s nice to be able to just toss trim in the freezer and then come back later to run bubble hash once all the trimming and cleanup is out of the way. Shouldn’t be any problem using some of the same frozen trim for this recipe that I’ll be using for bubble hash, right?

Once, stupidly, to try to get around the stink of the cook-down I used some bubble hash instead of trim... whoa! Was welded to the couch for almost six hours - scared myself. I didn’t keep that batch... :nono:

Phases

Your killing brother but in the garden AND kitchen. Keep it up. I am going to follow you receive and make some butter using my trim and small bottom buds.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Thanks a lot for this guide shishkaboy! I haven’t made butter in many years but plan to do so over the holiday season.

I was wondering if I’m fine to freeze the sugar leaves, like I do for making bubble hash, or if they should be fresh? I always find it’s nice to be able to just toss trim in the freezer and then come back later to run bubble hash once all the trimming and cleanup is out of the way. Shouldn’t be any problem using some of the same frozen trim for this recipe that I’ll be using for bubble hash, right?

Once, stupidly, to try to get around the stink of the cook-down I used some bubble hash instead of trim... whoa! Was welded to the couch for almost six hours - scared myself. I didn’t keep that batch... :nono:

Thanks for stopping in and checking out the method. I hope you have the tastist treats for your holiday season. This recipe will get the job done for sure. Just remember you can add as much trim as you like, this is just my recommend minimum for normal people, I double my personal batches up.

I store my trim in the freezer and have had excellent results. I am sure there is a difference but I havent noticed any...yet.

onavelzy

Veteran

Hahaha, it looks like the turtle you ate kicked in by the time you got to putting together the ones at the bottom of the sheet. No offense bro. just popped in my head and i laughed. :biggrin:

I'm actually jealous as shit at your culinary arts. stuff is making my stomach growl.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Question - does not the baking processes itself decarb any butter that was used in the recipe? Just wondering why you would decarb it prior to that?

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Latest posts