What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why all the hate with Autoflowers?

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
agoob....you still talkin nonsense. like others sed, best autos take 70-80s to finish. yer talking in a fish tank.
and yeh, clonez are good, autoz have their purpose

-BRR-

When they first started appearing regularly in forums a few years back it seemed to me mostly noobish growers grew them and perhaps that’s the case I’ve not gone out of my way to seek out threads on them.
At that time I scorned at them because they didn’t seem to yield well and finished to early to be useful. Over time pictures, diaries and reviews show them well sorted enough in the size department.

In the end I still wouldn’t play with autos with a barge poll if you paid me. Hard enough to get seed as it is here and if you can’t breed autos or can ya?... what’s the point.

Still hate them with a passion and scorn the mention of them anywhere.

Fuck Autos

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When they first started appearing regularly in forums a few years back it seemed to me mostly noobish growers grew them and perhaps that’s the case I’ve not gone out of my way to seek out threads on them.
At that time I scorned at them because they didn’t seem to yield well and finished to early to be useful. Over time pictures, diaries and reviews show them well sorted enough in the size department.

In the end I still wouldn’t play with autos with a barge poll if you paid me. Hard enough to get seed as it is here and if you can’t breed autos or can ya?... what’s the point.

Still hate them with a passion and scorn the mention of them anywhere.

Fuck Autos

Ok, got your point. There's a time and place for every seed under the sun.

We donate regularly to a few Veteran's Grow groups- they beg to differ and find fast maturing meds helps them.

There's many in the world that enjoy a smaller version of their photoperiod sisters.
To each their own.

-BRR-

Ok, got your point. There's a time and place for every seed under the sun.

We donate regularly to a few Veteran's Grow groups- they beg to differ and find fast maturing meds helps them.

There's many in the world that enjoy a smaller version of their photoperiod sisters.
To each their own.

Well said. If you can make use of them then all the luck to you and I’m sure they’ll keep improving as time goes by. I cant knock the quality as i’ve tried one either.

I could see them being useful let in summer if you wanted an early harvest or in for what ever reason you could only use extended artificial lighting.

But what about the diy breeding part about it so your not constantly paying for seed how does that work?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well said. If you can make use of them then all the luck to you and I’m sure they’ll keep improving as time goes by. I cant knock the quality as i’ve tried one either.

I could see them being useful let in summer if you wanted an early harvest or in for what ever reason you could only use extended artificial lighting.

But what about the diy breeding part about it so your not constantly paying for seed how does that work?

True on all accounts. Breeding or open pollination for plentiful seeds....the trick is best traits both male/female.

-BRR-

True on all accounts. Breeding or open pollination for plentiful seeds....the trick is best traits both male/female.

Yo I’ve always had it in my head that somehow that auto’s aren’t able to be bred by Joe average cus only 50 % would be auto and the rest photo period or something like that. Maybe it was miss information around at the time or just my crap information assimilation cus I just debunked now it with a fresh look, thread/forum flick through.

one question please.

Do autos behave differently when sprouted into a 12/12 regime as a posed to 18/6 for their life cycle?

Would they flower straight away like an indica or still be non light schedule dependant.

Cheers

burmese

you can keep every strain with 12/12 from seed when seeds are fresh and everythings ok
its just like another normal strains in 12/12 - some react like small go to flower quick plants and some autos grow to some size /mass/ and in reality ,,vegetate,, sometimes longer than photoperiods in 12/12. //Also f1 auto x nonauto can vegetate longer than photoplants //
if you mean only sprouting in 12/12 than no problem and with longer lights afterwards
-but everyman here tell you much light as you can

-BRR-

thanks for the reply

I meant lets say you have 2 of exactly the same seed (pheno) for arguments sake.

One auto into 18/6 other into 12/12 from the get go. What would difference in vegging size achievement be likely to be.

Reason I’m interested is being in the tropics our summer/winter daylight differences are only 13/11 to 11/13.

So perhaps apt question is has anyone grown a proven auto strain in the tropics outdoors?

Ta

burmese

why not,, i grow always 12/12 and never have problem,,, only for some is yield per plant problem,,
outdoors is different but basically the same

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
BRR, with an auto you will want the best vegetative cycle possible. They will flip on their own 4 to 5 weeks from seedling. The better the growth in the first month the better your yields at harvest.
Ace has an auto Malawi x Northern lights that may interest you. I will be running multiple autos this season and some regular phototypic genetics. I will have a thread in the greenhouse section in a few weeks.
If you have any questions during the grow. I will happily answer them for you. Peace brother

Afromamal

Autos yeild best at outdoors, when you put them in the summer. I Love them cause you dont have to fight that hard with mold in poor climate :rasta:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Autos yeild best at outdoors, when you put them in the summer. I Love them cause you dont have to fight that hard with mold in poor climate :rasta:

Exactly, for that reason and numerous others! Indoors 18/6, 20/4 works best. Whoever posted 12/12....lousy yield, but to each their own. Good luck!

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi there !

Hi there !

As an introduction. I would like to answer to the question/tittle of the thread .

Why all the hate with Autoflowers ?

It is not about autos, it is about humans .
Because humans are full of hate .

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.

“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

And as a near example, I'm full of hate when I don't do martial arts and I'm peacefull when my agressivity is well driven into practice !

It is easier to reject new things, than to learn and accept them .

If you are a photoperiod grower, you already have all the skills to make great autoflos .
But if you never tried autos, you don't have the experience for it even if you have the skills, so you will end in shitty or average weed, and your ol'grower hurt ego will say " autos are shitty " ...

Example of simple first big mistake from photoperiod gardening experience you can do with autos is transplanting !

example in video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUmvC2Lhpmw

This first plastic glass shown at 1'35 of the video is the bigger mistake of this grower (even if he's quite anal on everything else !).
This mistake facked all this grow ...

To compare, I have a post card from last year with exactly the same strain , sprouted july 18th outdoor (photoperiod around 15h30 of sun not the best time for autos) .

One is a bit lower production just because of a lack of clay peebles for the last pot done at this time and I was lazy to go and buy some more just for 1 pot.

And I'm not ashamed to admit I have done shitty autos at my first tries even with decades of cannabis gardening experience (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1114038&postcount=54).
And in a way, humility is the best way to progress . ( Are we talking about gardening or common spirituality ? :ying: )

This is enough for the first post in here, I'm glad to join this discussion. :)

Keep mind opened & Good Grow to everybody ! (even haters) :tiphat:

Last edited:

Koondense

Veteran
I think the "hate" towards autoflowers is actually hate towards misinformation brought by seed sellers, in a shape of false claims regarding yield, finishing time and final quality.
Gotta hate the capitalistic liars.

Otoh, there are also people on the other side, good and honest breeders with sincere and proper infos on their seeds, but you won't find them via advertisments and via popular seedbanks.

Cheers

slipdefeu

Hello!

No need to hate them much, all the hate has been already said,
I really understand the benefits of autos especially outdoor in a country like mine in north france, where the weather doesn't allow you offen to finish a gerilla grow properly, i've seen shitty weed from autos as well as good ones.
But i still ask myself about what's the benefit to grow these indoor? no problem with that guys...i just think feminized seeds can do the same with a shortest light cycle, when i think about the ruderalis add it appears to me less potent than reg or fem seeds, in general, isn't it?

The only benefit i see seems to put them into a lost place in a mother/veg room

no offense, just asking
:tiphat:

G

ganjygav

Hello!

No need to hate them much, all the hate has been already said,
I really understand the benefits of autos especially outdoor in a country like mine in north france, where the weather doesn't allow you offen to finish a gerilla grow properly, i've seen shitty weed from autos as well as good ones.
But i still ask myself about what's the benefit to grow these indoor? no problem with that guys...i just think feminized seeds can do the same with a shortest light cycle, when i think about the ruderalis add it appears to me less potent than reg or fem seeds, in general, isn't it?

The only benefit i see seems to put them into a lost place in a mother/veg room

no offense, just asking
:tiphat:

NO OFFENCE??? I'M EXTREMELY OFFENDED!!! ... SO MUCH SO I'M TYPING IN CAPITOL LETTERS AND USING MULTIPLE EXPLANATION MARKS.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
actually, not much difference to grow them 18 hrs or grow from clones with a motherplant which you need to maintain under 18 hrs. in a sog method under 3 x 600 w over 2 square meters not impossible to reach 1000 g + / sqm. i wouldn't say it, if i didn't see it. that set up had a lampmover(lightrail), air conditioning system, top feed hydro with 25 plants /m"2, each around 25-60 g. it was a few yrs ago.. with kannabia seeds. gnomo and flash.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I really don't see what the advantages of growing autos indoors are. You already have complete control over the environment so there really is no reason to need a plant that flowers on its own. Why would you use a 16 hour flowering time when you can do it at 12 hours with a photoperiod plant and save money on electricity as well as having as good or better results?

Outdoors is a different story cause you can't control the sun and early harvests are nice, especially when the weather sucks in a given region come autumn or you want a few harvests per season.

Not hating on autos, just wondering why an indoor grower would choose them over a photoperiod.

Latest posts

Latest posts