What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Skier killed self after edibles

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
summitdaily.om
Here it is again? An OK young man killed himself after eating many portions of edibles over at Keystone ski area. I just hope they don't blame the edibles. The rec shops are good about explaining that you eat one portion and wait an hour for something to happen. Evidently he had a large amount of edibles in his system.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I made edibles that spun my boss ferociously hard, he thought he was dying, called 911, got naked and waited to die, and in the process confessed his sins to his wife and family (including his current affairs).

Divorce ensued thereafter.

I gave him half a dozen cookies made from northern lights oasis ( 2 or 3 i forget) and he ate 4-5, apparently the butter didn't have enough of a pot taste to slow him down.

This was close to 20 years ago. IMHO before it was legal people had more discretion (I certainly didn't let that happen again)

Now that its legal people think it doesn't deserve respect, that is what is fucking people up.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I know them... "I know what I'm doing." they made some brownies at home out of an 1/8 of brick weed and think they 'know'.

happens with, automobiles (drive too fast) alcohol (OD) or big pharma drugs (OD).. look at this German pilot that crashed the airbus into the Alps, co-pilot suicide and take along 150 others with him.. there are some fucked up people out there.. every time some asshole takes an AR15 or 9mm and starts shooting, the anti gun jackasses come out.. that's it, blame the gun... samey same here.. you do know that LEOs and the media want/need the drug war (revenue) and will keep it going any way they can..

OTOH, he could have eaten them by mistake...

and what about the TV drug ads that advise to stop taking them if you feel like suicidal, the FDA approved that/those drug(s) they say its a good trade off!!??

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
i don't know if i've ever been on a ski slope and been 100% sober but i know the risks and have some respect for them

i would say edibles aren't something to be fucking around with when you can move that fast on your feet and there are things to run into even without reading a warning label.

maybe they should have a special version of the darwin awards for edibles

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I'm afraid we will be seeing more and more of this. People just don't respect the fact that it can easily be as potent as acid.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
There is no link in the OP, so I found one here: http://www.westword.com/news/luke-g...ne-because-of-pot-edibles-family-says-6616258

I just have trouble understanding why people throw caution to the wind like this! I'm a professional pot smoker, I have a high tolerance, I can pretty much smoke whatever comes my way, and as much of it as I want to... but when it comes to edibles I tread CAUTIOUSLY. You would think that these noobs would look to some of the veterans before just opening up and saying aaaaaah.

Weed is STRONG when metabolized through the digestive system. This really needs to be spread around among our square or noobish friends and family. I tell my parents all the time that if and when they decide they wish to consume any cannabis, they should not start eating it like it's candy. I keep telling them they will want to vaporize it. That's what noobs and squares should be doing. Not eating it. Unless, they are properly titrating their dose, anyway.

W

wegobigupnorth

I have SO much respect for how potent edibles can be after I made a batch of cookies and me and my friends foolishly ate WAY to fucking many and I was literally higher then I had even been on mushrooms or LSD. Hallucinating and everything. I gave one of those cookies to my brother who really hardly smoked weed at the time and holy fuck he was trpping so hard if I wasn't there to keep him somewhat calm, which was very hard for me as I high as a kite as well, he 100% would have called 911.

It's fucked up that this guy killed himself. I agree that people do not respect edibles. They come in the cute fancy packaging and look ohh so innocent. I bet many people that hadn't touched cannabis in any form went out and bought edibles when it became legal in CO and never want to touch cannabis in any form again after their experience....not for light weights

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
skiing sober sucks ass...I make sure to have weed and a flask....yeehaw...edibles aint like smoking..i can smoke whatever all day long..i can only eat so much before it aint no fun...tread lightly with edibles..you wont die but it aint that fun either when ingesting too much...I have friends that refuse to eat any of my edibles after the brownie incident....laid out a whole room of folks ...I tried warning em....

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
skiing sober sucks ass...I make sure to have weed and a flask....yeehaw...edibles aint like smoking..i can smoke whatever all day long..i can only eat so much before it aint no fun...tread lightly with edibles..you wont die but it aint that fun either when ingesting too much...I have friends that refuse to eat any of my edibles after the brownie incident....laid out a whole room of folks ...I tried warning em....

and not one of those dumb bastards would listen!:biggrin:

Genghis Kush

The guy brought a handgun with him on a ski trip to Colorado? Sounds like there is a lot more to this than the edibles.

Not that edibles can't fuck you up big time. Just saying his inability to deal with his issues killed him not the edibles.

About 10years ago in the Transkei in South Africa, I was staying at hostel, and I made some weed cake with about two ounces of killer sativa. I ate half the cake. An hour later I was tripping hard! Not like acid or shrooms, it was a full on weed trip. They where serving dinner, and I should have gone to bed down but my ego told me I could handle it.
I started loosing consciousness at the dinner table and my equilibrium started going with it. That's when I knew I needed to get out of sight fast. I picked up my plate and started walking towards the kitchen, when I lost it. Everything went black and next thing I heard was, "should we call an ambulance?". I opened my eyes and I'm on the ground with people standing over me and my equilibrium was gone, I had zero coordination. I'm like, "No! I'm ok, I ate to much weed! I can't tell which way is up, I'll be Ok! It'll ware off". One of the guys that worked there understood and told everyone to go back to dinner. I was laying in my dinner on the ground next to the dinner table. Very embarrassing. Eventually my coordination came back enough for me to crawl on my belly out the door and into my room, and into bed, where I continued to trip my brains out. The people who ate the other cake where smart enough to go straight to bed and skip dinner.

I lost my shit, but not in a crazy hurt yourself or someone else kinda way. I think that being that fucked up can amplify latent mental illness in some people. Cannabis is psychoactive and that can be detrimental to an unstable person.

Snype

Veteran
In 1995 I made a cake with 1oz of herb. I ate half of the cake in 2 hours. A few hours later I called 911. I thought I was dying. My heart was pounding so hard that I thought I was having a heat attack. The lady on 911 said there's nothing they can do for me. It lasted about 12 hours. The other night I took 300mg of oil in my mouth. I was tripping for 12 hours. I just took some drops to go to sleep and ended up feeling like I was having a heat attack all night.

Jhhnn

Veteran
There is no link in the OP, so I found one here: http://www.westword.com/news/luke-g...ne-because-of-pot-edibles-family-says-6616258

I just have trouble understanding why people throw caution to the wind like this! I'm a professional pot smoker, I have a high tolerance, I can pretty much smoke whatever comes my way, and as much of it as I want to... but when it comes to edibles I tread CAUTIOUSLY. You would think that these noobs would look to some of the veterans before just opening up and saying aaaaaah.

Weed is STRONG when metabolized through the digestive system. This really needs to be spread around among our square or noobish friends and family. I tell my parents all the time that if and when they decide they wish to consume any cannabis, they should not start eating it like it's candy. I keep telling them they will want to vaporize it. That's what noobs and squares should be doing. Not eating it. Unless, they are properly titrating their dose, anyway.

According to the article, his family left him flipped out & alone with his gun... that wasn't smart. Society in general apparently has a lot to learn about cannabis, particularly edibles. Don't leave anybody alone if they're flipping out- we knew that in the 60's. They need an anchor to humanity, to the warmth & trust of people who care about them. Really bad trips can leave folks' heads scattered for years. I've seen it too many times to not say so. It's not the drugs- it's the experience, like PTSD.

40 years ago, I made a pan of brownies that flipped out a whole big houseful of hardcore hippie acid heads. We bought windowpanes by the thousand lot, but the primo brownies were more than they could handle.

What the market needs is a cheap vaporizer. Hell, in the tourist towns they could rent pocket vaporizers if you paid with a credit card. Pick one up at the desk when you check in for a nominal fee, of course. swap it for another if the battery runs low. Or ask for the plug in model, keep it in the condo.

Betterhaff

Veteran
It’s unfortunate that events like these happen and even more so it’s sensationalized by the media. I too believe there has to be more going on with this incident.

Better education is necessary. Edibles are attractive because of their convenience. Don’t need any apparatus, don’t need to smoke. Just buy and consume.

I’ve purchased edibles in CO a few times and was given some advice by the dispensary staff about dosage but for somebody not familiar with the effects of cannabis the effects can be overwhelming. I’ve also made them for years. Probably the biggest problem with edibles is the time it takes for onset. People tend to be impatient and when nothing seems to be happening they consume more.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
tumblr_mp51fnemUE1qb51iao1_500.jpg

"You took too much, man. Too much too much."

Pragma

If you wouldn't drink a whole bottle of vodka and go skiing, why would you eat tons of edibles and go skii'ing ?

Ffs.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
If you wouldn't drink a whole bottle of vodka and go skiing, why would you eat tons of edibles and go skii'ing ?

Ffs.

i actually know people who would do that. the difference is they would blame it on the idiot drinking the vodka if something happened and not the vodka itself so it wouldn't be "news".

kill yourself getting a DUI and you're a dumb ass, kill yourself eating to many brownies and of course betty crocker and the devil's weed get the blame.

the news is just about 100% biased and hypocritical when the subject of edibles comes up just about 100% of the time. the warning labels on everclear doesn't stop anybody from fucking with the high octane stuff, it actually attracts some of them. why would better labeling and control stop anybody from eating as many brownies as they think they can handle? ....... or more than that as is sometimes the case with everclear?

you can't fix stupid

and now heres Kathy with the weather .......

Jhhnn

Veteran
i actually know people who would do that. the difference is they would blame it on the idiot drinking the vodka if something happened and not the vodka itself so it wouldn't be "news".

kill yourself getting a DUI and you're a dumb ass, kill yourself eating to many brownies and of course betty crocker and the devil's weed get the blame.

the news is just about 100% biased and hypocritical when the subject of edibles comes up just about 100% of the time. the warning labels on everclear doesn't stop anybody from fucking with the high octane stuff, it actually attracts some of them. why would better labeling and control stop anybody from eating as many brownies as they think they can handle? ....... or more than that as is sometimes the case with everclear?

you can't fix stupid

and now heres Kathy with the weather .......

I think it's important to clue in the newbies wrt edibles. We want to do our part to see to it that everybody has a good time. Slow onset gives people the idea that they want more, not necessarily a good idea at all. Some people just aren't ready for the intensity of effect that edibles can induce nor the duration of it. If it turns into a bummer, it lasts a long while. Society is on a fairly steep learning curve. Cannabis lore isn't integrated into the rest of society the way that alcohol lore is. We'll get there, of course, but not overnight.

It's no big deal for makers to put cautionary labels on OTC edibles. It's actually to their benefit, reducing liability. Not that extreme thrill seekers will pay attention, as you say, but they need to learn that discretion is the better part of valor. Unlike a lot of other things, cannabis won't kill 'em outright, so it's a good place to learn.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
i read someplace that the CDC did a big thing on how to protect yourself during a zombie apocalypse. they understood that more people were likely to read the information that way and that a lot of information about zombies applies to any infectious disease. as stupid as it sounds a whole bunch of people who usually wouldn't care what the CDC had to say read it and learned something

maybe instead of having the local news anchor tell us how dangerous edibles are after someone dies they should get cheech and chong to make public service announcements about how to maintain when you are eating edibles ......... if you want to get information out there you need to send it out in a way that the target audience is going to listen to you

i bet you those commercials would be more memorable than the silly shit they use to sell bud light during the superbowl

barnyard

what a tragedy for the friends and family...oral edibles have a faster affect than gastronomic edibles

oasis is NL#9