What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

De-Seeding Bud

B

Brother_Monk

I would like to know, if there is a more efficient technique, or some kinda machine, that takes the tedium out of the process. Please share your techniques with me. I can't have any damaged seeds, so running them through a dry-sift is out. And I don't want them wet, so grinding them and chucking them in water is out.

I spend a lot of time plucking seeds from bud after drying. There has got to be a better method/machine. I have used an old record jacket, and a playing card at an angle. This works, but it's tedious when doing large batches. Please help me find a better way of de-seeding buds.

:ying:

Last edited:
G

dry it and smack it against the wall lol...seriously it would seem a five gallon bucket smack the bud against the inside of the bucket would knock most of them off it..if the bud is completely dry...i just plucked the most seeds i have ever made but i plan on making alot more so this is a interesting topic even if i am a tard huh brother...peace

Last edited:
B

Brother_Monk

Interesting...I'm sure the seeds near the outside of the bud would be knocked off, but what about the ones buried deep inside the bud? I make hash with the leftovers, so smacking them around all day proly wouldn't do me justice. :bashhead: I'll keep that in mind for a preliminary extraction, using your method though. Thanks.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
You can winnow it the same way you separate grains or small beans from chaff-
after drying thourougly and crumbling, you toss it up near a fan, over a sheet. The "chaff" (in this case the bud material) gets blown away (you can still set up to recover it though), while the seeds drop more or less straight down on the sheet.

B

Brother_Monk

That sounds a little drastic. If I had a couple hundred pounds maybe I would do this. On a smaller scale tho, it may be doable. Like you said, in front of a fan.

Has anyone ever seen a mechanical seed separator? Something where the bud goes in, and gets gently seperated. Kinda like a bud grinder, but not as hostile.

Americangrower

Veteran
I just let the bud dry out way past the normal cure.. I just leave them out for a week, 2 weeks, a month...doesn't matter how long.

Just pick up buds and crumble them on place mat then sift out seeds (this is where you could use a fan..I don't) :joint:

B

Brother_Monk

brainthor said:
http://www.seedtechsystems.com/macseparators/ not exactly what you wanted...but isnt it neat

STS VACUUM AIR SEPARATORS
STS-MC3 Precision Separator (1/230V, 50/60 Hz) $16,775.00
Mobile Metal Cabinet 800 CFM Vacuum Stratified Separator System, which features: Separator,3 upper seed collection cups, control panel with a programmable computerized LCD keypad vacuum control operation. Feeder, Feed Hopper, a complete turn key operation. (up 125 lbs. per hour depending on species)

Wow that thing is cool! :laughing: Yeeouch! In the right ballpark tho man! Nice find. Something that would fit in the palm of my hand, for under a hundred bucks would be nice tho. Excellent! Were getting closer lol! Thanks for all the responses so far. If I don't find what I'm looking for, I swear, I'm gunna develop something that will do the job right for small scale seed makers. As hands off as I can get it. Just drop in the bud, turn the crank, drop the seeds into a collection stash, and remove ground up bud.:rasta:

G

2,000 usd is this bitch cool or what...i think i will make one...simple

Last edited:
B

Brother_Monk

Brainthor, I see they have a $2,500 model. Still way too pricey! I coulda sworn I seen an acrylic hand held seed seperator somewhere. I think it was back on OG in a thread somewhere.

I bet we could do a diy model with a little ghetto ingenuity!

Last edited:

RottenDawg

I'll Take the Job!!!

I'll Take the Job!!!

Brother_Monk said:
Brainthor, I see they have a $2,500 model. Still way too pricey! I coulda sworn I seen an acrylic hand held seed seperator somewhere. I think it was back on OG in a thread somewhere.

I bet we could do a diy model with a little ghetto ingenuity!

At that price you could hire me to do it. ;-) ...........RD

joder156

Dry the plant out completely and shake the plant, alot of seeds will fall out. Then just go through it by hand and take the rest out.

G

Brother_Monk
Boy, this is a real tough one. You for sure want to avoid any kind of impact on the bud material for fear of damaging seeds and then that won't get them all out anyway.......and any kind of grinding can crush or crack them if they get caught in the mechanism the wrong way. Years & years ago when most weed seemed to have seeds in it, we would break it up with our fingers over a cookie sheet. Then tilt it on an angle (as described earlier) and scrape with a playing card............seeds collected in the pan at the bottom. I know this isn't the info that you're looking for.......but, I've never seen a machine for this in all my years, LOL. Not much need now for such a thing except for special situations.....like yours. Used to lurk around OG & don't remember a seed machine from there. I will keep the ol eyeballs pealed for ya though.
Good luck.

G

Brother_Monk

I got an idea for ya....
Remember reading about a build it yourself tumbler for removing trichs that was driven by a small electric motor and a belt. The tumbler was a screen in the shape of a tube with round plywood end caps (or something). Place bud inside & let it run for an hour & the trichs fall through the screen & into a pan for hash.
How about the same concept but with a screen with openings that are large enough for the seed to drop through. Just break up the bud & place inside.
Collect the seed below in a pan with another screen in the bottom that has smaller openings that the seed won't fall through. Just shake that pan (like U R panning 4 gold) to let the veg. material sift out.......and BAM....you got a tray with mostly just seed.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Thanks for everyones inputs, I've just spent the last hour deseeding a C99 - I only pollenated a couple stems as I didnt want/need many seeds so there wasnt too much bud to go through, but they are feminised. This is my first attempt at making seeds - I havent had a need before but i love C99 and was running low on beans so i basically had no choice.

The bud is still wet - freshly cut off the plant, so I just used a pin, basically using the side of it to probe for hard bits that may be seed, then using the sharp end to wade through it looking for those tiny brown bits that say "you've found me!"

But with the wet bud it really isnt easy finding them unless theyre on the surface, so I like Americangrowers suggestion of over-drying them to the point where they crumble in your hands, then just sift through the dust and stems to find those brown gems. I havent tried it yet but it makes sense to me, will definately try it with these few stems that i pollenated. And because it's only a few stems I can still smoke the rest (90% of the plant), so i dont mind sacrificing these few stems by turning them into over-dehydrated unsmokeable dust. Just wish i had a food dehydrator so I could speed up the process 8) But ill chop the buds up finely - no leaves or anything, so thatll also help speed it up

PHANTOM

hey people,

I know its not what you want but I have a perfect grinder for this, wooden from tatanka head shop in the dam.

The seeds fall through with the weed and you just seperate, the seeds stay intact, I haven`t had a broken one yet out of 30 or so.

PhenoMenal.........check out the very quick, quick drying method thread by stayhigh149 (page 2) this will work for you I think........

PEACE

PHANTOM

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
PhenoMenal.........check out the very quick, quick drying method thread by stayhigh149 (page 2) this will work for you I think........
Thanks! but he did that to dry out buds for smoking, not to get seeds out, and he used a microwave ....... there's just something I dont like about exposing seeds to microwave radiation, not just because of the radiation factor but also because the seeds will probably get quite warm compared with the bud, and some may even pop like corn kernels, so I'm very hesitant to use any methods that involve microwaves or much heat.

For now i've just chopped up each bud into tiny pieces as they obviously dry quicker than big buds, and I've just left them sitting in my flower chamber under the light so theyre getting a gentle warmth and breeze. Id say it's drying them about 2x faster than if I just left them in some random room.

Last edited:

PHANTOM

OK Never thought of that,

Hard for you guys to get seeds in oz? I`ve seen that program nothing to declare, they don`t want no plant matter getting in, no matter what bro.

Listen, good luck with your seeds, hope you get some killer weed:canabis:

PEACE

PHANTOM

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I just went through this for the first time recently. I think I posted a thread in the Strains forum, to no avail. Nobody had any tips. But finally a couple grower and breeder friends helped me out.

For small quantities, my grinder works perfectly. It's a Space Case and I just put the bud in there and very gently give it just a 1/8th rotation turn back and forth a couple times. The seeds fall through (undamaged) onto the kief catcher... you wanna yank the seeds out of there before the bud itself is ground up enough to fall through the holes.

Whether the seeds are damaged or not might depend on the type of grinder you're using. The one I have happens to work great.

But for larger quantities, I took a rubbermaid bin lid and turned it over. I used the lid on my lap sort of... crushed the bud (very dry) up gently in my hands, then used a credit card to separate the bud. The trick: hold the lid/surface at the perfect angle so that as you agitate the bud material and work it around, the plant matter stays put up top while the seeds all roll to the bottom of the lid (and get caught in the lip of it, which is handy).

No matter how you slice it, the job is a pain in the ass. But I hope this helps you some.

Dig

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Actually i must say that for the quick drying part, simply cutting the buds up into their smaller popcorn-sized 'subbuds' and leaving them in the gentle warmth & breeze of the flower chamber is doing a very good job of drying them out without using excess heat or microwave radiation (helping to keep the seeds as viable as possible) - they were in a perfectly smokable state after just 2 days, and nearly too dry to smoke after 3. I'd say they'll be crumbly in just another day or two, at which time ill simply crush them gently in my hands by rubbing them together, then sift through the resulting crumbly dust/stem remains and pick out those brown gems :smile:
Seems like one of the better ways for small quantities anyway!

Phantom,
Hard for you guys to get seeds in oz? I`ve seen that program nothing to declare, they don`t want no plant matter getting in, no matter what bro.
No, its very easy to get seeds in Oz, if not from friends then through the web. Ive made about 10 seperate seed purchases before from seedboutiqe, drchronic, planetskunk, and even one recently from seedbay and all made it to me fine. The only thing Ive ever had intercepted by customs was a DVD :smile:
In regards to importing plants, I can't say I've ever tried lol. Why would I want to import a plant though when there are lots of nurseries with heaps of plants here or I could simply buy the seeds online? :smile:

Latest posts

Latest posts