What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What changes when you increase perlite?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Obviously I know they won't hold us much water and need more frequent watering, and the more oxygen to the roots the faster growth rates. The standard Pro MIX HP mix has 30% perlite. I thought it was a good idea to just up that to 50% since I had a tonne of perlite kicking around, and Ive been having super slow growth and not very healthy looking plants all throughout veg.

Should I be doing anything differently if having more perlite or how does it change things. Is the optimum PH still 5.8-6.2 as is the pro mix recommended range PH.I am thinking it has reduced my overall CEC and now the medium can't hold on to enough nutrients. My tap water is 200PPM and I use pure blend pro bringing it to 600PPM and PH it to 6-6.2 On the last feeding I upped it to 700PPM to see how they respond.

I know i could post pictures but don't want to go down that road of plant infirmary diagnosis stuff. Its very hard to really tell anything from pics. Growth is slow as hell is all.

Never again will I assume something is simply beneficial and just do it. Only side by side test runs against what is working for me so far.

Lesson learned. AGAIN.

rogerw

i grow in nothing but perlite . fine for clones course for grow. it holds water and feeding is super easy . the only thing i grow in . easy to reuse a bleach bath between grows . holds water for a week air prunes and ph neuteral . it is the best fail safe grow . pots will not tip over and overwatering is a thing of the past